• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Game of Thrones (SPOILER EDITION)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is one of those books I've always wanted to read, but I can only get 200 pages into or so and get bored with it. I have several friends that are constantly talking this one up but, alas, I think it's more of a watcher for me than one to read.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am very much looking forward to this series, Ive never read the books but as a fantasy fan in general it seems like major deal:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GameofThrones

The trailers and clips really look great, a return to form for HBO's original content, finally?

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is by far my favorite series of all time. I'm so glad the next book finally has a release date, and I'm really looking forward to the series (despite having mixed feelings about how some of it looks in the previews and some of the casting (Cersei in particular).

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started watching the series and I think it is quite good, especially the child actors are very well cast and deliver
Love Sean Bean he just fits in this environment, the conflicts are very nice, very intriguing

I started reading the first book after looking for something Dark Tower-esque but I could never get myself to reading on it just was talking talking bla bla bloodline .- but i have to admit this really works for television, all the conspiracy and playing with power makes for a nice drama

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree. This is just Sean Bean's sort of thing, and it's great to see him in the series. So far I'm really enjoying it and can't ever wait for the next episode; and it's been a long time since I said that about a TV programme: usually I don't bother with TV: I watch just boxsets or films.

Like Sunarep I tried to read the book once, but gave up because it seemed like nothing more than standard fantasy fare. Perhaps I should have persevered. Regardless, it adapts well to TV.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's definitely not standard fantasy fare.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, my four episode rule has kicked in - i will continue watching this series and come over my lost problems ;) - basically for a tv series I think one can never judge just by the pilot because the pilot has a lot of set up, so I think after 4 episodes it is possible to estimate if you like this series (like season 1 of lost had Walkabout as the fourth)

I must say the series is featuring a lot of "nothing happens" but I don't mind it. I remember talking to a friend once who read the series and i mentioned that the things i liked most about lord of the rigns are the moments when they are planning stuff like "we have 200 archers in the forrest, 100 knights on the other side bla bla bla" and he told me that Game of Thrones is essentially that and it really looks like it

I like the characters especially the Dwarf, he has charisma and Arya Stark is probably my favorite

Also that every character has his shades of gray where Boromir started as this sympathetic nice king i liked the fact that the "cripples" episode compared his loyalty to just being a blind follower.

The Queen and her brat son are awesome and i think the highpoint of the current four episodes was the fight between the four children and the aftermatch with the queen that made me want to punch that bitch - reminds me of reading harry potter

anywho... while I enjoy this series I doubt it will last for long
They confirmed a second season, but to maintain that high of a production value I fear this series won't last long

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
Also that every character has his shades of gray where Boromir started as this sympathetic nice king i liked the fact that the "cripples" episode compared his loyalty to just being a blind follower.

lol I think of Sean Bean's character as an older Boromir sometimes too. I wondered when the trailers for the show were first shown if there might be some footage from some point in the series that could be used in a LOTR edit -- perhaps some footage of Boromir as a king that could show the character's thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with the point about shades of gray too. :)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hm... there sure is a lot of talking going on, i just hope it pays off in the season finale
while not hooking me like Dexter Season 1 this show does have some goods and especially one reason to watch it:

game-of-thrones-13.jpg

Peter Dinklage, he is just fantastic, especially Episode 6 made him shine, he truly is the star of this show and Boromir as well as Arya the youngest daughter - generally all child actors are good everytime they are on screen
I'm just curious when this littlefinger character will get interesting since apparantly he is a fan favorite from the books

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HBO shows always seem to be more about drama over action. While GoT is a little slow it is a very interesting show. And you're right: Peter Dinklage really does steal the show. He is superb here.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thunderclap said:
HBO shows always seem to be more about drama over action. While GoT is a little slow it is a very interesting show. And you're right: Peter Dinklage really does steal the show. He is superb here.

especially when he confesses his sins - i was "rolling on the floor" well symbolically

I am still curious if they will be able to tell the entire story since the dragon thing is getting more and more into the story so i guess dragons will play a larger role and they are not very cheap
the scene with dinklage in the prison while looking pretty good still had this "yeah it is a tiny set pasted onto a model" feel - don't get me wrong i think for a tv series this is outstanding quality especially with the costumes, but it has it's shortcomings especially when i think about dragons

meh I'm probably just nitpicking because I think of how dark tower would work as a tv series

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally some tension - whew took a whooping seven episodes to get the plot moving I am very hopeful for the final three episodes

also finally littlefinger does more than just standing around
i must admit though all the names are getting really confusing from time to time

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've read all of the books, and I think that the Daenerys character, in fact all of the stuff going on across the sea is MUCH improved on TV from the books. When I read it, I had to force myself not to skip those parts.

The casting is top notch, the one's we're supposed to hate, we instantly hate, those we can't figure out, we cant figure out etc. Some characters have little room in the first book, only to take center stage later on. I predict HBO will keep filming as long as the book's author can keep up and write the whole series on time. :ranger:

My favorite characters are, Tyrion (the imp), his brother Jaimie (aka "the King slayer" ), Jon Snow, Bran Stark (an awesome kid), Arya Stark (the chemistry between her and the "dance teacher" is awesome).

I'm sure the season finale won't disappoint.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
I've read all of the books, and I think that the Daenerys character, in fact all of the stuff going on across the sea is MUCH improved on TV from the books. When I read it, I had to force myself not to skip those parts.

Wow and I already thought they were boring on TV ;)
Well not boring but there isn't really much happening what I took from it was the setup for dragons and that they want to go to war now... that's about it, I like Conan the barbarian because he is scary intimidating and yet for some reason very noble (aside from the I'm gonna rape their women part)

I remember when they were introduced in the first book (the sister and her brother) very very early this was the part i stopped reading because it was just exposition backstory and millions of names who died some time ago

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've read the books but I'm waiting until the HBO series is released on DVD to watch it.

The books could use some editing... all the genealogies, histories of lords and houses and past wars, the politics of who has to marry whom, palace protocol and etiquette. All the scenery chewing over who is next in line of royal succession. There are too many minor and repetitive characters, too many lords and knights and brigands and palace fools and eunuchs.

I liked the stuff going on across the sea, although the transformation of Daenerys from a passive abused child to a goddess and master strategist sort of came out of nowhere. I didn't care at all about the Iron Islands and Dorne and all their power struggles -- totally extraneous.

Of course I liked Tyrion and Ayra, but also Brienne Tarth and Samwell Tarly. They're semi-pathetic but sympathetic characters.

Sounds like the TV series is going to be an excellent candidate for a fanedit.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Sunarep's alternate names for the characters. He should make a list.

let's see if I find enough at the end of season 1 ;)

Brumous said:
The books could use some editing... all the genealogies, histories of lords and houses and past wars, the politics of who has to marry whom, palace protocol and etiquette. All the scenery chewing over who is next in line of royal succession. There are too many minor and repetitive characters, too many lords and knights and brigands and palace fools and eunuchs.

agreed they get lost very easily in all those "this one is the son of that who is the bastard of him and if we confront that man with that man that women will do that stuff... sometimes it's interesting but it trails of very quickly

like the one scene where Boromir is reading the book and it goes:

that guy black hair
that guy black hair
that guy black hair
not that guy blonde hair

and he was looking up very dramatically and I was kinda lost... "so who has got which hair and why is that important?"

thankfully they explained it in the next "previously on game of thrones" recap so my ADD mind could understand, i mean I am so shallow i didn't even realize the blonde thingy was replaced after episode 1

Daenerys Targaryen, often called Dany by her closest friends, is a major character in Game of Thrones. She was played by Tamzin Merchant in the pilot episode, but the role was recast with Emilia Clarke for the series proper.

Of course I liked Tyrion and Ayra, but also Brienne Tarth and Samwell Tarly. They're semi-pathetic but sympathetic characters.

I can't shake the feeling that Samwell is a character who was deliberately introduced to pander to the chubby-nerd-audience...
same goes for the constant booby shots sometimes i feel like they shove in the nudity to attract a younger hornier demographic (you know the "holy shit a booby never seen that before"-"i watch american pie 5 because there are tits"-crowd)

especially when littlefinger gave his captain exposition performance that made Ric Olie look like Wedge Antilles - it was a scene with just... yeah fucking fucking boobies lesbians and by the way i tell you my life's story.. keep spanking that booty... yeah it is so sad .. fuck her harder... and that is the conclusion for my motivation

Oh yeah have you noticed the intro changing sometimes?
I think it's awesome while not saying anything to you after 1 epsiode it really helps to remind you of the general geography

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've really been enjoying the series thus far. Baelish was a great (though I should have seen it coming) twist. The young actor who plays the crazy prince who wants to see the Imp fly... creepy as hell. Everyone is at the top of their game IMO.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thunderclap said:
Baelish was a great (though I should have seen it coming) twist.

I thought the same. If Baelish were up to something, I thought he would probably bide his time more. I didn't expect his actions at the end of episode 7. The series does a fair job of keeping you guessing -- if you haven't read the book, that is. For a while, I thought Snow might not actually end up taking his vows.

Top Bottom