• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Fanedit of Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tn_783_h20-fe-front-1351486484.jpg

Fanedit Title: A Fanedit of Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later
Faneditor Name: The Butcher
Original Movie Title: Halloween H20
Genre: Horror
Franchise: Halloween
Fanedit Type: FanFix

Original Release Date
: 1998
Original Running Time: 86
Fanedit Release Date: October 2012
Fanedit Running Time (Min): 91
Time Cut (Min): 1
Time Added (Min): 5

Brief Synopsis:
Twenty years after that fateful Halloween night in Haddonfield, The Shape has come back for Laurie Strode, now dean of a private school and estranged mother to her son John. Laurie will have to face her fears and confront Michael Myers one last time.

Intention:
While some fans were disappointed to see Halloween 4, 5 and 6 retconned out of the official continuity, I didn’t really mind, even though I am a fan of these entries as well. Because I adore trilogies, I enjoy thinking of Halloween, Halloween II and Halloween H20 as a very satisfying horror trilogy starring Laurie Strode, Michael Myers and their terrifying dynamic.

Although H20 was a very worthy entry that featured a perfect ending, I think it lacked some elements that could have easily made it better.

Editing Details:
With all the material at my disposition, I tried to make H20 closer in style, tone and execution to its predecessors (Halloween and Halloween II) by:

- replacing most of the recycled Scream music with John Ottman’s original score, John Carpenter’s classic Halloween themes or Tyler Bates’ score for the 2007 remake
- adding some deleted scenes from the TV version to build tension and pacing
- adding scenes with a certain holiday atmosphere to compensate for the lack of it
- removing silly things like Ronnie surviving a bullet to the head, the CGI mask, etc.
- adding various call-backs to the original Halloween (actual Donald Pleasence monologue, Laurie hearing Don’t Fear The Reaper, The Thing playing on TV, hearing The Shape’s breathing, etc.)

Cuts and Additions:
- The Dimension Films logo turns orange.
- Added TV cut footage. (Jimmy looks around the living room)
- Added TV cut footage. (Jimmy walks in hallway)
- Added TV cut footage. (Marion’s ransacked office)
- Added musical cue from Halloween (The Shape appears)
- Added TV cut footage. (Marion looking for Jimmy)
- Added TV cut footage. (Marion tries to escape)
- Added TV cut footage. (Shape stalks Marion)
- Replaced Dr. Loomis soundalike with actual monologue from Halloween
- Removed white flash after opening credits.
- Extended Laurie’s dream with scenes from Halloween and Halloween II
- Added TV cut footage. (Shape watches mom and girl)
- Added breathing sound effect to Shape’s POV. (Shape watching mom and girl)
- Replaced score with Tyler Bates’ music. (Laurie goes to lunch)
- Added scene from Halloween: Resurrection.
- Replaced “Mr. Sandman” on radio with “Don’t Fear The Reaper”.
- Added John Ottman’s music to the score. (Shape at the gate)
- Added breathing sound effect to Shape’s POV. (Shape at the gate)
- Added John Ottman’s music to the score. (Molly’s search)
- Added musical cue from Halloween. (Molly sees Shape)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Buses leave)
- Added scene from Halloween: Resurrection.
- Added scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Fear Itself.
- Replaced score with John Carpenter’s music. (Ronnie investigates)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Laurie hallucinates?)
- Replaced footage of “Scream 2” on TV with 1982 “The Thing”.
- Removed “date-rape evening/nipples pierced” exchange.
- Added breathing sound effect to Shape POV. (Shape watches John)
- Added TV cut footage. (Will carving a pumpkin)
- Replaced score with John Carpenter’s music. (Laurie opens up)
- Removed Will’s line “Well, that’s…sucky!”.
- Added TV cut footage. (Shape stalks Charlie)
- Added breathing sound effect to Shape POV. (Shape stalks Charlie)
- Removed shot of CGI mask.
- Removed Charlie’s “Hi!” to The Shape.
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music (Charlie face to face with Shape)
- Added John Ottman’s music to the score. (Shape behind curtain)
- Fixed the continuity error with Charlie’s head.
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Sarah chase)
- Added TV cut footage. (The Shape going after John and Molly)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (John and Molly chase)
- Added TV cut footage. (The Shape keeps going)
- Added TV cut footage. (The Shape goes up the stairs)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Kids at the gate, Laurie face to face)
- Removed frames where it’s obvious that Ronnie is shot.
- Replaced score with John Carpenter’s music. (Ronnie’s body)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Shape in pursuit)
- Added a montage of different locations before Laurie walks into the school.
- Added TV cut footage. (Laurie looks for The Shape)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Laurie hides, Shape turns tables)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Laurie throws knives)
- Added musical cue from Halloween. (Laurie stabbed Shape)
- Fixed the continuity error of Laurie pulling the knife out of The Shape.
- Removed Ronnie from ending.
- Added John Ottman’s music. (Laurie stabs the Shape)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Laurie takes Shape for a ride)
- Replaced score with John Ottman’s music. (Shape gets up)
- Removed a comical shot of The Shape getting hit by the ambulance.
- Removed a shot of The Shape frantically grabbing his head.
- Moved dedication to Donald Pleasence to the start of the credits.
- “Pleasence” is spelled correctly.
- Removed the Creed song during the credits, replaced by “Don’t Fear The Reaper”.

Other Sources:
Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later BD (Alliance)
Halloween-25th Anniversary DVD (Anchor Bay)
Halloween II DVD (Universal)
Halloween: Resurrection DVD (Miramax)
Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later- Television Cut (FX)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Season Four, “Fear Itself”) DVD (20th Century Fox)
Plan 9 From Outer Space DVD (Legend Films)

Halloween Soundtrack by John Carpenter
Portrait of Terror (Halloween H20) by John Ottman
Halloween (2007) Soundtrack by Tyler Bates

Special Thanks:
Thanks to member ThrowgnCpr for capturing the TV cut back in 2010

Release:
NTSC DVD9

Cover Art:
(Art by The Butcher)
h20_FE_3Dview1.jpg

h20_FE_3Dview2.jpg

Send PM if you want to see this. Otherwise, you can figure out how.

dario light

Reaction score
Trophy Points
excellent coverartwork !!! when its gonna be released for download ??? will watch it on halloween ;-)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's the size of this thing? It's only a 91 minute movie, and there's no extras mentioned, so why the need for DVD9?

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
What's the size of this thing? It's only a 91 minute movie, and there's no extras mentioned, so why the need for DVD9?

The size is 5.47 GB. I thought it was kinda big myself, but I didn't know how to compress it more, etc. So I just uploaded the original DVD file I had made last year.

AGJWF

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got a chance to see this and I loved the additions. The only thing I would change would be Laurie just taking the knife out of Michael and not having her place it back in. It didn't look quite right and the next shot of Michael there's no knife. Just a small nitpick.

There might be a chance to get better quality footage of the TV cut. H20 is going to be on SyFy at 1:00 am EST 10/31. Not sure if SyFy shows the same cut as FX. It was on earlier today but I missed it.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AGJWF said:
Got a chance to see this and I loved the additions. The only thing I would change would be Laurie just taking the knife out of Michael and not having her place it back in. It didn't look quite right and the next shot of Michael there's no knife. Just a small nitpick.

Yeah, I'm aware it looks a bit awkward but I had only so much to work with and I didn't want to lose that cathartic moment of Laurie's final stab (which was interrupted by that miraculously alive LL Cool J :p) And after the final stab, you can actually hear Laurie take the knife out and drop it, so that's why there's no knife in Mikey in the wide shot. But yeah, it barely works haha! Thanks for the feedback!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I was gonna PM TMBTM about it. Good thing I read that post.

dario light

Reaction score
Trophy Points
have watched it and loved it. the tv scenes are in the best quality i have seen so far (bootleg vhs to dvd transfers of the tv version) and cutted in as perfect as it could be. the changing of the score here and there fits perfect. to me the best H20 version besides the official released!!!! thanx butcher,you saved my halloween this year ;-) compressed the dvd9 to dvd5 with dvdfab portable

Waslah

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is really, really good. The only alteration in his that I'd say I take any issue with is the, I'm assuming, television footage used in the highway rest stop sequence. There's nothing about the new footage there that's bad, and it certainly doesn't ruin the movie, but I think that's the one moment where the quality different really shows quite obviously and it throws the pacing off in the scene. It worked better in the quicker more to the point manner in which the filmmakers cut it for the theatrical release. Other than that this is truly excellent. The sorely lacking Halloween atmosphere of the theatrical cut is rectified perfectly with the added bits of footage and color correction, a few key changes and call backs to the original film and sequel provide greater dramatic weight to Laurie Strodes' arch, it's great to hear Donald Pleasence actual voice instead of the atrocious sound alike, and the using of key footage from the television cut of the movie frequently adds much needed character development to some of the characters -The character of Will in particular. And of course the utilization of the original score rather than the hamfistedly shoehorned Scream score absolutely brings the film to life in a whole new way.

With the mild gripes I have with the one sequence already mentioned above and a somewhat awkwardly edited bit with Laurie and a knife in the climax of the movie in mind I have to say this is an absolutely exceptional job. This will be, without question, the definitive cut of the movie for me in the future.

ave1016

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really liked this edit and can not say much else that hasn't already been said. Any gripes that I may have are so small that they are not worth mentioning. I had not watched this film in awhile, but I believe it is much closer to the spirit of the original. I also haven't seen Halloween Resurrection in some time and wondered if there was a way to include the the beginning of that film to sort of have a conclusion to the Laurie Strode trilogy.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ave1016 said:
I also haven't seen Halloween Resurrection in some time and wondered if there was a way to include the the beginning of that film to sort of have a conclusion to the Laurie Strode trilogy.

The edit "Halloween II" by modernknife used that beginning in one part.

Laurie's death was a dream sequence that bridged the gap from Halloween II to H20.

ave1016

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
The edit "Halloween II" by modernknife used that beginning in one part.

Laurie's death was a dream sequence that bridged the gap from Halloween II to H20.

I had forgotten about modernknife's edit, which was also a fine edit. Just not a memorable one.

degenerationx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
this edit isn't on **DELETED** yet, and i have sent a pm to The Butcher without an answer thus far, so anyone has any idea where i can get this? 'coz i really would like to see this fan edit

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
degenerationx said:
this edit isn't on **DELETED** yet, and i have sent a pm to The Butcher without an answer thus far, so anyone has any idea where i can get this? 'coz i really would like to see this fan edit

Read The Rules. Never post a direct link to download websites. Infraction given.

fanedit.org does not run Info.

Roswell422

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty good edit of an already pretty good film. I liked the additional Halloween shots as well as the inclusion of most of the television scenes, and adding John Ottman's score along with pieces of Carpenter's original score was definitely a plus. I also really loved hearing Donald Pleasance during the opening credits instead of Tom Kane, who did a decent job of imitating Pleasance, but is obviously NOT him, and couldn't deliver that monologue as perfectly as he did in the original.

I wanted to give this a perfect ten, but a few shots stood out to me as not being as good as they could have been. Some of the added shots from the television cut could have been left out, including the extra shots when Michael is chasing John and Molly. The biggest issue I had was with Laurie stabbing Michael again after he falls off the balcony. I feel like the television cut did a better job with that scene while still keeping Ronnie dead (Laurie walks down and stares at Michael, then we see the crane shot of Michael lying "dead"). The edit here was quite obvious and felt very amateur, whereas the other edits were much more subtle and blended in very well with the original film.

Overall, this is a very nice upgrade, and definitely worth checking out.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the good reviews everyone! As for the final stab, I think I remember trying it with Laurie just looking at Michael and walking away, but it made her look a little foolish for assuming he was dead.

In the end, I had to re-organize the shots of her bringing the knife up and then reverse and accelerate them to make it look like she stabbed him again instead. In retrospect, it does look much more awkward then I remembered and, because it's near the end of the movie, it does stick out too much.

degenerationx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First of all i must say that i'm really picky with fan edits, specially an edit about a movie that i already like. Most of the edits that try to fix something by cutting scenes or mixing something to change the plot in some way, i don't enjoy very much, i prefer an edit that adds stuff and that makes me feel that i'm seeing that movie for the first time. And the edit of The Butcher made me feel like that.

The extra scenes from the TV version made the film more suspenseful, also the adding of the holliday scenes make us more into the halloween spirit which i enjoyed very much. But the crown jewel for me was the music score, flawless, the best compliment that i can make, is that it felt right, like it was the original score of the movie.

So many thanks for this one The Butcher, for me it has become the version to see of H20, i'll be looking foward for some new stuff from you in the future my friend ;)

Top Bottom