• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Better Day to Die Hard - Complete

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zmYCN9h.jpg

This edit merges the extended cut of Die Hard 5 with aspects of the theatrical release which were removed. It also reinstates 4 deleted scenes, features a full colour regrade and reworked subtitles. A section of the movie has been rescored as an homage to Die Hard with a Vengeance.

The aim of this project was to give the much maligned fifth Die Hard film a bit more time to breathe and a cleaner aesthetic. Personally I rather enjoy the original film and consider it to be the fourth best entry in the franchise. This edit is not an attempt to redeem the film as I do not feel it needs redeeming. Whether my changes will improve your opinion of the movie is subjective.

Runtime: 1:48
Added time: 11 minutes

I'll add a detailed cutlist soon.

Here is a sample of how I've changed the subtitles:

Before:
2QnRB5v.jpg

After:
8klMPTF.jpg

Last edited:

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Look who is back :)

The original movie is actually really bad. At least in Die Hard standards.

The full color regrade on the trailer looks fantastic.  Can't wait for this one.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trez75 said:
The original movie is actually really bad. At least in Die Hard standards.

The full color regrade on the trailer looks fantastic.  Can't wait for this one.

Thanks Trez, the colours took a while to get right but for my first full regards I'm pretty chuffed. Definitely learned a lot. You know, working on this edit really made me appreciate this film so much more. I enjoyed it when I first watched it way more than I expected but I believe six years of diminished expectations helped. Now I've spent the best part of a month with it I'm really rather fond of it.

Is it a good Die Hard film? I would say it's one of the weaker ones but it has a solid villain and some fab homages and I feel the extra 11 minutes let it breathe a bit. As a simple action film it's perfectly fine and at least the subs and the colours look cleaner now.

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with you. I really appreciate you take the time to rework the look and feel of the movie. From the trailer, I noticed the green tint is gone. The new regrade looks like Oliver Wood Bourne Supremacy work. Especially with the Moscow car chase scene :)

Regarding the movie itself, I guess we should be happy to see John Mclane for one last time. I don't think that will ever happen again.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My intention to have had this released today but I'm in bed feeling sick. It's finished but it needs encoding and checking but I'm in no fit state to do that right now.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Motleys Fanedits said:
How many deleted scenes are there of this film?

In my edit there are four deleted scenes reinstated. There are six scenes in total but I didn't like or want to use the other two.

stevepaynter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just checking in and seeing how this edit was going and if there was an update

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi @"stevepaynter" thanks for reaching out. This edit is sat very close to completion and has been for the last two weeks. Sadly life has got in the way. A combination of illness* and work** have stopped me from doing any editing at all for basically the entirety of February. Hopefully I'll sit down tomorrow and finalize the subtitles and encode it.

* Both mine and my families.
** I'm a teacher, living in the UK. Our prime minister announced school are returning to teaching in person March 8th which resulted in a huge amount of planning, organisation, meetings and additional work. Not going to lie it's been pretty full on.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And it's done*!

I'll be submitting this to the database today. Thank you to everyone who followed this project on here and over on Reddit.

*14 days later than planned but that's life for you

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shout out to @boazz750 for leaving a fair review of this edit and for picking up on a single frame that I had incorrectly zoomed. I am currently re-encoding the edit having now addressed that issue. I'll be in contact with anyone who expressed interest in this edit this afternoon.

Smoker1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wish they would have kept the Lucy Scene dropping off John at the Airport.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wish they would have kept the Lucy Scene dropping off John at the Airport.
Yeah, I don't understand why they removed it. I reinstated that in this edit along with the ending featuring Lucy. I didn't reinstate the phone call mid-chase as I don't personally like it and it extended the chase, which is already longer in the "Harder Cut", too much.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you to @AdvisorOk4636 for the review, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Regarding the length of the rescored section. I do understand your position on it but equally I already had to truncate and resequence the footage to fit the track. The original scene ran on quite a bit longer devoid of music. Since this edit is an extended cut I didn't wish to remove footage where possible as such I felt the track length was appropriate.

Last edited:

AnEyeOut

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Good Day to Die Hard is not a good DIE HARD movie. I never liked this film but having not seen it in a long time I found this edit really enjoyable!

Now for the nitpicks...

There's a mistake you've created! In the Theatrical version Jack shoots Anton in the shoulder but in the Director's Cut it was a headshot to make it a bit more violent. In the deleted scene you restored, Anton has risen from the grave, with an armsling! Jack even calls him by his name 'Anton'...it's clearly him. You'd need to lose the carpark fight or replace the headshot opening for this addition to fully work.

The final scene just before they meet Lucy the volume jumps up quite a bit when John and Jack are talking about trouble and the end credits music doesn't blend naturally it misses the first few seconds. Possibly caused from blending Theatrical/Unrated elements? Small fixes.

Another minor note, the audio that was lazily pulled from LFODH/4.0 and dubbed in about 31mins in has always bothered me so this is not exclusive to your edit. I'd love for that to be cut out.

Everything is arguably better. The colour correction work alone is fantastic and you have given it much better pacing. You took the best elements and made the best possible version. Hands down this is the best it can ever be thanks to your work.

Well done.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a mistake you've created! In the Theatrical version Jack shoots Anton in the shoulder but in the Director's Cut it was a headshot to make it a bit more violent. In the deleted scene you restored, Anton has risen from the grave, with an armsling! Jack even calls him by his name 'Anton'...it's clearly him. You'd need to lose the carpark fight or replace the headshot opening for this addition to fully work.

Thank you so much for this. I honestly never even realised that that was the same person, great spot. I'll get that rectified ASAP, I'll switch out the footage of Anton being shot and I'll double check the levels in that final scene while I'm at it. Once Ver. 2.0 is encoded I'll get in touch. Really glad you enjoyed it overall.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you to both @gamingmafia834 and @maeshmolowa1310 for the lovely reviews. I'm really glad you both enjoyed it. I didn't alter any of the sound effects in the deleted scenes as they only have stereo audio to begin with but I'll revisit the scene you mentioned and see if there's anything I can do about them.

Top Bottom