• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A BEAUTIFUL NIGHTMARE - a delicious fanedit of Southland Tales

ChrispyEdits

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BOXER.jpg

Season's Greetings, fellow editors! I'm excited to be part of your community and look forward to sharing what I've been working on...

On a budget of 16 million, Southland Tales only grossed $365,000 at the box office. First screened at the Cannes Festival with a runtime of 2hr 34min, it was then heavily edited down in scenes, plot and tone into a 2hr 20min theatrical release. While many people praised director Richard Kelly’s vision, both versions were universally panned by audiences and critics. I found that to be a travesty, so I set out to right that wrong.

I believe this Chrispy Edit of Southland Tales, now titled “a beautiful nightmare”, combines the soul from the Cannes Cut (CC), with much of the polished Theatrical Cut (TC) scenes, into what I consider to be a new, definitive version of the film.

There’s some great scenes, great actors, and an excellent score. But both the CC and TC stories got lost in the epic scope. There were too many characters and plot points not properly fleshed out. There was even a three-part prequel graphic novel released that was supposed to provide insight (it did not). I think what Southland Tales needed was a 3rd edit. This is that edit. This Chrispy Edit is an attempt to make the heart of Southland Tales accessible to everyone, and hopefully allow Richard Kelly’s work be something everyone will love. There’s also relevant social commentary that deserves to be heard.

Some quick backstory:
After rewatching Donnie Darko in 2021 I became interested in Richard Kelly. Curiosity then had me buying the Arrow Video blu-ray release of Southland Tales, which included the Theatrical Cut, and for the first time, also included the Cannes Cut. I watched the TC and was left confused and meh. Yet there was something about it that stuck with me. There were also a few key scenes where I though “man it would be cool if he had done this…”. Then I watched the CC, and from the very start, it felt like an entirely different movie. Narration was different, entirely new scenes, and a total reshuffling of story progression. And to boot, it turned out the TC scenes I had wished were different were edited basically to what I had wished for in the CC. All the while, my brain had started weaving the two versions together.

I had never done a fanedit before, but immediately ripped both versions and started editing. After several months, I had a really good edit that was 2hr and 15min, but it was really just a well-trimmed version of the CC. I did a test screening with my kids and they were bored, with one of my boys saying that he had no reason to care about anyone in the movie. And I realized the movie was missing a hook. That lead me down another rabbit hole of trying to edit the movie to be appealing to modern audiences, not just existing fans of Southland Tales. I also realized that from a marketing standpoint, generally speaking, a movie should be under 2hrs. There are too many epic movies out there that get it done and get it done exquisitely in less than two hours, and I knew Southland Tales didn’t need to be an exception. So I started again, building a new intro and better ending, and slowly working through every second of every scene to trim every ounce of fat I could find, which has become a 1hr 48min final cut.

So that's it. That's why I'm here. I hope to share my efforts with a community who might dig it, and maybe turn on a few new fans to Richard Kelly along the way.

"I guess that's what this movie is kind of intended to be, a beautiful nightmare" - Richard Kelly, from the Southland Tales director's commentary

The edit is complete and I intend to submit to the moderators asap. If you've read this far, thanks for taking the time.

-Chris!

Last edited:
MY EDITING RULES
———————————
The rules I gave myself for this Chrispy Edit were simple but very specific: to only use the audio and video from both the CC and the TC, and nothing else. No external audio or video sources or even soundtrack would be used. The only part of this edit that wasn’t sourced from the two original versions was the title card text. Even when the screen fades to white, I’m using a half second frame from the movie’s original nuclear blast.

Here's a scene comparison from all three versions: Theatrical Cut, Cannes Cut, and the Chrispy Edit.

a beautiful nightmare: a Chrispy Edit of Southland Tales
EDIT LIST:

Summary: All the soul of the 2hr 34min cannes cut, all the best scene improvements of the 2hr 20min theatrical cut, combined into a perfect 1hr 48min story that earns your time and hopefully pays off a few emotional arcs.

All audio and video is taken from existing footage, and scenes are often a combination of mixing TC and CC audio and video together within any given scene, sometimes combining audio from one cut with same scene video from the other cut. This was often done depending on which narrative voice tone preferred and the scene’s color tone preferred.

Edits:
——————————
*caution: If you've seen either version before, don’t read the edits thinking you get it, and instead watch the movie all the way through to feel the difference.

-General edit: reorganized all movie scenes to fix plot confusion
-created an entirely new intro scene, that establishes a better character hook and mystery relating to the main plot, layering audio from original TC intro
-added new title card “a beautiful nightmare”
- narrator intro with audio dub
-realigned narrative introduction of boxer, overlappings audio from different scenes together, as well as repurposing footage
- newly establishes Krista Now character, streamlines flow, combines different scenes together, added background audio from different scenes, creates different element of mystery to boxer’s confusion
- creates new neo-marxis group1 intro that combines both TC and CC audio
- fixed pronoun use by editing in boxer’s name to establish the subject.
-improves pace by transitioning directly to Frost group and USIDent
- newly edited Nana Mae Frost introduction, dubbing ‘usident’ over ‘nsa’, with a scene sandwich of newly edited USIDENT introduction that keeps focus on Nana Mae, then transitions into Frost campaign team introduction.
- combines two separate Frost team scenes together as one new scene, streamlining neo Marxist1 interaction and dialog.
- Newly edited intro of Ronald, adding scene sandwich of newly edited neo marxis group 2 introduction, simplifies plot, then streamlined introduction into Boxer’s pitch.
- added wave background sound from end credits to the Pitch Meeting. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.
-Edits into improved intro of fluid karma and Treer group, streamlined narration.
-new transition to boxer and roland on patrol, scene trimmed to simplify plot
-newly edited and streamlined Neo Marxis group2 hideout scene, introduction of Kenny
-newly edited Starla scene, beautifully combining two separate scenes into one coherent scene.
- newly edited scene of Nana Mae watching team Krista, combining the subtle crunch of an incessant snack between two separate characters.
- extended establishing shot of next scene, made audio dub between TC and CC, to maintain plot clarity. Streamlined Neo marxist2 preparation scene.
- streamlined café scene and small world books scene.
- new and improved raid scene, combining TC and CC scene together, edited and reorganized shots, with better UPU3 entry and approach. Includes edited version of the CC scene with UPU3 finding cache of severed thumbs.
-new transition to boxer and ronald on the road, getting the call.
-tightened up Dion and Dream psyching themselves into character.
- sparingly trimmed scene leading to entry of domestic call. The entry scene and use of Moby song is one of my favorite cinematic moments and is part of what endears me to this film. Slight echo effect of “who am I?” taken from when it’s said again at the end of movie and layered on this scene.
- strategically trimmed and spliced Wave of Mutation song and scene.
-added momentary lake meade flashback.
-included trimmed CC scene of officer Bart planting evidence.
-edited and streamlined Treer commercial and party intro. Trimmed phone call.
Combined audio and video from two different parts of CC and TC to establish new narrative cutaway shot
added CC Treer after-party scene.
- streamlined boxer meeting his ride
- streamlined Ronald confronting Zora, and edited departure.
- edited together smoother transition between twins and then roland’s meeting of the armorer, shortened scene.
- trimmed boxer’s arrival and entry to the after party. Removed entirely the narration, and adding looped audio from another part of the scene. Realigned jump scenes leading up to Krista’s arrival.
-edited zora and bart’s interaction, audio transition into next scene.
- edited the “Melrose Place” scene to streamline plot.
-newly edited Boxer’s drive away from the party. Using the CC take, multiple other scenes were edited into the departure song, better pacing the plot, and better placement of boxer behind the wheel for a slightly more emotional ride, and smoothly combined the TC and CC transitional scenes of Baron and Simon moving the paladin body, while maintaining the departure song throughout. Better transition into the second arc of the story.

-removed krista’s energy drink can clanking on the ground while meeting zora
- tightened dialog between Krista and sheena
-tightened the flow of Ronald approaching Martin and getting in his truck.
- new and improved interaction between Cindy and Von Smallhouse, tightens the plot, including the removal of cindy originally saying “I don’t work in distribution” (only to then later say she’s going to distribute her upcoming movie).
-tightened up Starla’s stalking, and Zora and Cindi’s phone call.
-Tweaked narrator’s premonition scene
-Used CC beach scene including “through he looking glass” comment, added the same mystery shot from the movie’s new intro during mental break moment.
-massaged audio of CC scene of Krista driving to the poop deck, into TC scene of Zora and Bart arriving city center, keeping the music flowing through.
- mixed TC and CC scenes together to make a better bar fight scene and narrative flow, particularly relating to the audio track and rapid scene cuts of the girls fleeing the bar.
- blended together the cut from Nana Mae’s office to boxer on the strip meeting Fortunio.
-Trimmed boxer’s abduction
- Edited together the transitional scene of cindy, with narrative overdub of armourer seamlessly mixing and blending right into a delicious plot propelling combo of Simon talking to Cindy from another scene. Repurposed and looped in-movie soundtrack over the scene.
-reorganized plot advancing shots
- mixed CC video with TC audio of roland and martin drive scene
- tightened and edited Boxer and wife’s penthouse interaction
- streamlined Krista and the baron.
- Edited the mega zepplin intro scene mixing CC and TC audio.
-Created an entirely new and improved scene structure for the final act.
-added music to rising zepplin shot
-much better edit of roland and martin driving and then accessing ATM, tightened flow, including a fun little audio dub.
- Immediately goes into a newly edited National Anthem scene, skillfully combining the best of both TC and CC anthem scenes together to improve the start of the scene as well as end of the scene. It’s beautiful.
- tightened up boxer and wife scene. Also removing the extra kiss.
-reorganized short scenes to keep narrative flow.
-edited the lead-up shots of boxer heading to the marx suite, layering CC narrative audio, trimming as needed.
-made slight tweak so boxer doesn’t flinch until after Simon draws the gun
-new establishing shot for marx suite scene, mixed shots to change the order of dialog and more accurately accentuate Boxer’s pimpness.
-tightened scene of boxer confronting serpentine, using CC audio with TC footage to create the best narrative flow, eliminating mid-scene cut away. Added music to final segment of scene with TC and CC audio layered.
-Edited together a proper sequence of timing for the twins collision.
-mixed TC footage with CC audio as boxer exits lounge, mixing news cast while keeping music.
-Trimmed street fighting scenes. Tightening up Roland and Ronald meeting.
-Added both TC and CC audio for introduction of Memory Gospel scene. This scene is also one of my favorite scenes filmed, and the main emotional peak.
-removed orgy comment. boss edit.
-Total realignment of all final scenes, mixing TC and CC footage. Used CC scenes to explain Baron’s plan and ultimate betrayal. Mixing a new flow of Martin’s ascension, and ballroom confrontation.
-adds back the second best emotional arc with cindy and von smallhouse.
-new narrative ending, new order of all scenes, creating new emotional stakes, mixing TC and CC together, while creating a mystery of what is real and what is just a nightmare. Combining multiple different audio layers.
-fade to white and song. Looped and extended song intro.
-

Thanks

This edit is currently being previewed prior to submission for approval. All interested parties who own the appropriate source material, are welcome to contact the editor via pm to request access to the workprint (at the editor's discretion) and offer preview feedback! Please post your feedback on this project thread so that the editor, all previewers and the official reviewer may assess it into their consideration. Thank you!

Wow! What a ride! Thank you @Pedantic Contrarian, for stimulating my interest in this edit with your very thorough and concise preview.

This was quite a strange experience. I need to meet with Richard Kelly and share some of his hallucinogenic drugs just to truly understand where he's going with this. I watched it several times. There are some strange plot threads here. Wallace Shawn's performance is truly remarkable. And Sean William Scott? He just seems antisocial and apathetic. Not his trademark type of role.

I can't say that this is an improvement of either version of the source material because I'm afraid to open my somewhat expensive bluray that I just got in the mail and ruin it.

Donnie Darko has nothing on this but I would compare it to Under The Silver Lake in many ways. Its surreal for certain. Awesome work!

Last edited:
This edit is officially approved. Thank you so much for your very thorough and concise preview, @Pedantic Contrarian! You certainly stimulated my interest enough to watch it several times. Congratulations, @ChrispyEdits! Welcome to our family!
Aww yeah right on! I appreciate your guidance and welcoming me into the fanedit community!

Alright so after some encouragement from @ArtisDead, I've put together a proper trailer for 'a beautiful nightmare'. The previously posted teaser trailer mentioned (and linked) above has been removed because I'm still using a free account on Vimeo and needed to free up a video slot to upload the full trailer. Plus, the teaser trailer was only the first minute and half of the movie anyways so just watch the movie if you're curious what it was.

I have replaced the linked teaser trailer in this initial posting with the full trailer and have also linked the full trailer here to watch:

If you're interested in watching the full fanedit, message me directly for the mega link. I hope you dig it!

Awesome trailer, my friend! I really wish that this movie resonated with more people because it's a lot better than the critics gave it credit. Your edit drastically improves upon that.

Last edited:
I'll have to ping you about this after I watch the Cannes Cut. I actually really like the Theatrical Cut, it has a very surreal feeling to it. My boyfriend and I went into it with me only knowing the basic summation and a few details ("pimps don't commit suicide", the cop quoting Philip K Dick, The Rock playing a real weirdo) and him knowing NOTHING and it was a fun time. I need to read the graphic novel, too. I have it, I just... Need to read it.

I'll have to ping you about this after I watch the Cannes Cut. I actually really like the Theatrical Cut, it has a very surreal feeling to it. My boyfriend and I went into it with me only knowing the basic summation and a few details ("pimps don't commit suicide", the cop quoting Philip K Dick, The Rock playing a real weirdo) and him knowing NOTHING and it was a fun time. I need to read the graphic novel, too. I have it, I just... Need to read it.
Yeah right on! That's great you guys dig the theatrical cut and will be checking out the Cannes Cut. I found the CC to be an entirely different movie emotionally, despite sharing the same overall plot and general scenes. Feel free to message any time when you're ready for A Beautiful Nightmare. And that's AWESOME that you have the graphic novel. I was only able to find it digitally on the internet archive, opting out of paying $100+ for a copy on ebay. Thanks for the comment and I'm excited for you guys to experience the CC!

Back
Top Bottom