• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A 2021 General Fanediting Best Practices Guide for HD and UHD

6 hr render vs 10 second file split. But ok. We all have our formulas we like to stick to so whatever floats your boat.

When you say then you will put “it” through the handbrake pipeline, is “it” referring to a master export of the final edit from Vegas?

EDIT: It also seems Vegas will import FLAC which can be lossless and 100% the equivalent of WAV but with much smaller file size and less likely to exceed the 4GB WAV limit of some NLE’s.

Last edited:
6 hr render vs 10 second file split. But ok. We all have our formulas we like to stick to so whatever floats your boat.

When you say then you will put “it” through the handbrake pipeline, is “it” referring to a master export of the final edit from Vegas?

EDIT: It also seems Vegas will import FLAC which can be lossless and 100% the equivalent of WAV but with much smaller file size and less likely to exceed the 4GB WAV limit of some NLE’s.
Handbrake would be an external process in this case. I've personally never had favorable results with handbrake. It also adds a ton of extra time.

I am upgrading my Ad Astra edit to 4K. Getting the various files into the Vegas NLE is not the problem. I have a PRORES 444 video and 5.1 ripped wavs in my timeline as we speak. The problem i have come up against is exporting/rendering the best audio quality (of my edit ) lossless from Vegas using WAVS .Due to them being over 4GB . I have just re-read your initial post and will use the converter to split the WAVS as you mentioned. Thanks for your help (y)
Handbrake would be an external process in this case. I've personally never had favorable results with handbrake. It also adds a ton of extra time.
Correct it will be an external process. The final rendered 4K of my edit is in Prores. I need to convert Prores to HEVC 10bit using Handbrake for distribution and playing purposes. My master 4K edit file is a 600GB Prores file. - HEVC will be my Prores file compressed to around 10GB. HEVC container is required to maintain the 10bit colour depth at a lower file size. I have done a pass using HB yesterday and the quality was okay...although i need to check it on my 4K TV.

After a bit of playing around i manage to convert my 700GB ProRes file to a 10bit HEVC using Handbrake. I now need to mux my 4gb Audio WAV file to the HEVC video inside a container. TS Muxer doesn't support these files and i cant find an option in Handbrake to add Audio. Any ideas?
Another question just to make sure: why not muxing the video and audio file through mkvtoolnix?

@SIUse You are a legend my friend - that is exactly the tool i needed. I will be using MKVtoolnix from now on...a virtual beer coming your way 🍻
My pleasure:) It strucked me as so obvious that i thought perhaps some people didn’t even heard of it, regardless of it being widely used.
I also like the option regarding naming conventions, language setting, setting a delay etc.

As my first foray into this process goes, everything has a learning curve and therefore several compromises.

I plan on using several movie sources in my edit and after converting some of my files to Cineform Film Scan 2, I'm facing SSD storage limitations before I even have the project underway. Definitely gonna have to get creative with how I get this going from here.

My question is, with an admission of knowing nothing about any of these codecs and etc, is would it be a good compromise to use something like Cineform Film Scan 1 to preserve quality, storage capacity, and also save myself from variable frame rate problems later on? Thoughts?

For clarification: I have several drives for storage but after all of the programs needed to accomplish this project and the several films I am using (some in 4k), I'm still figuring out the best work flow/pipeline to get where I need to be.

I'm facing SSD storage limitations before I even have the project underway. Definitely gonna have to get creative with how I get this going from here.

I don't know how others do it, but I edit off relatively small mp4 encodes, and once the edit is done I swap out the proxy file for a full quality to do a high quality final encode. That allows me to keep all the media files around for ease of tweaking any of my edits later, without it taking an absolute ton of space holding onto a ton of lossless files, or having to re-create a lossless source file before I can touch the edit again.

If you use that method at least you can start your edit and then figure out later where to find the space for your lossless source file once you actually need it. Just do a test with your NLE first so you know that swapping files works as expected, but most support using proxy files as far as I know.

I have a 4tb external that I use for source files. After 5+ years it's getting close to filling up. When that happens I'll simply pull out the 5tb external. I buy them resale for cheap on Facebook marketplace and Offerup.

I was planning on using proxy media for some/most of the footage I got. The question is, should I be converting my MKV files prior to proxy media generation? Or the other way around?

Pretty much I'm figuring this all out while learning several other assisting programs within an unfamiliar Window OS architecture while I complete my edit. It's very overwhelming 😵‍💫

So I'm trying to keep some room in my motivation tanks to essentially do a V2 at the end of V1 with a better understanding/more experience that I will suffer to gain through out the initial process.

And unfortunately after already splurging on a whole new computer and all the unforseen consequences of that, I need to get a job before I start up my SSD collection.

My first project is fairly ambitious so I'm considering a smaller fanedit project to get me through the pipeline with a little more awareness of what to expect. And more appropriately, the best times to breakdown and cry.

And unfortunately after already splurging on a whole new computer and all the unforseen consequences of that, I need to get a job before I start up my SSD collection.
I use usb 3.0 drives. They seem to work just fine as source file holders and cost way less than SSD.

I use usb 3.0 drives. They seem to work just fine as source file holders and cost way less than SSD.
For sure. I pretty much only use my SSD for VFX work and final renders. For basic editing regular internal SATA and USB 3.0 drives are more than up to the task, especially if working with proxies.

Right now just because of the space issue, I have the majority of my footage on a 2tb HDD. Is that what you mean by 3.0 drive? It works fine until I use Resolve to locate my media. Because then it just freezes. Problem after problem right? Maybe it has something to do with how its been formatted. Sigh...

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

My question is, with an admission of knowing nothing about any of these codecs and etc, is would it be a good compromise to use something like Cineform Film Scan 1 to preserve quality, storage capacity, and also save myself from variable frame rate problems later on? Thoughts?
A good compromise is to try using a recontainerized mp4 of the exact source video (H264 or HEVC) if your NLE handles it ok. Separate the audio into a separate surround WAV file.

• This!
Reactions: Mnm
I'll double check what Resolve likes to play with. Part of the "pleasure" of researching a hobby into the nitty gritty details is hedging your bets against your inexperience by doing as much homework as you can. Hence trying to stick by the guide you have so graciously laid out. Tbh, the vfr is what worries me the most. But yeah, really nailing down the 5.1 separation into WAV files is more of my concern in the long run.

Earlier in this thread there was some talk about how large the source video would be after converting it so I decided to play around to see what my exact options would be.

So from my 18gb MKV source, I managed to convert it several times into:

Cineform Film Scan 2 mov - 119gb
Cineform Film Scan 1.5 mov - 96gb
Cineform Film Scan 1 mov - 71gb
Prores 4444 mov - 156gb!!!
Prores 422 mov - 74gb

So there are some options for me to play with.

Edit: I missed some information. Forget my comment.

Back
Top Bottom