• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2020 Awards are here.

A 2021 General Fanediting Best Practices Guide for HD and UHD

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No I have never used Vegas. On other NLE's (like Premiere) that problem typically wouldn't rear it's ugly head until the project starting getting complex with a lot of cuts.

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A final question on the audio side of things. You recommend converting to wave - but, is this only for files not already accepted by the NLE? To cut to the chase, is there any reason to not drag my 5.1 ac3 audio into my NLE and work with that - rather than converting it to wavs as I would an audio that my NLE does not accept?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you are using Vegas, ac3 is not compatible. Your best options are to create individual waves files and then map them to their correct surround locations or create a high quality aac 5.1 file (you can do this and have it automatically muxed using avidemux). aac is not lossless, so you have to choose convenience or lossless for audio.

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using premiere, which is allowing me to add ac3 audio directly in to be edited. However, is this advised, or is it instead recommended to transcode the ac3 into waves files, anyway? Thanks for your help :)

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
in general it’s better to work with uncompressed audio formats if applying effects. But using the DD in Premiere should work ok too if that’s what you want to do. If the disc also has DTS or DTS-MA then that is preferable to convert to WAV since it is higher quality than DD.

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's only got DD, but I think I'll transcode to wave, anyway. Thank you

tizzeres

Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the program Hybrid, is there any reason not to use film scan 3+, rather than film scan 2?
Also, thank you so much for this guide - it has helped me greatly - as you can tell. Are there any other guides as comprehensive as this one?

Last edited:

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going above film scan 2 might be considered overkill where the drawback (extremely high filesize) outweighs the reward (negligible increase in perceived quality).

Top Bottom