• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

(9000 Series) Star Wars Episode III: Labyrinth Of Evil

plurmonger said:
I do think the scene with Anakin and Padme staring out of their respective windows across the city is a bit awkward without any voiceover

Really?

Firstly, the voiceover only happens when Ani is first sitting in the Council chamber. All the staring out the window shots are played over just music in the original.

Secondly, I think the voiceover is terrible. It's a Ric Olie moment, where Lucas doesn't trust us to understand the conflict within Ani so he hammers us over the head with it.

And thirdly, I just needed something here to justify "firstly" and "secondly."

TV's Frink said:
Really?

Firstly, the voiceover only happens when Ani is first sitting in the Council chamber. All the staring out the window shots are played over just music in the original.

Secondly, I think the voiceover is terrible. It's a Ric Olie moment, where Lucas doesn't trust us to understand the conflict within Ani so he hammers us over the head with it.

And thirdly, I just needed something here to justify "firstly" and "secondly."

Firstly, it's been so long since I sat down to watch Episode III that I don't really remember how it played out originally. That being said, if it was like this, I probably found it to be awkward then too.

Secondly, I'm sure you're right that it was terrible. And I understand what the scene is getting at; it's the length and constant back-and-forth cutting that made it confusing for me. "Oooh, look at the gulf between them and the pain and longing in his eyes. Oh wow, she's going to her window too; how romantic and sad. Wait, now we're going back to the first window? Her window again? His? Wait, is he nodding? What's really going on here?"

And thirdly, yep.

Never confused me, but ok.

Shots seem to induce short term memory loss in me. It's really only long, unbroken shots that sink in. I've never been able to really track what's happening in a movie the way I could during the restaurant scene in Goodfellas. I started to get a sense of what's going in in Revenge Of The Sith for the first few minutes, but it's fuzzy to me after we first see R2.

The mobile app I'm using doesn't let me edit posts, so I often just say "screw it" with spelling and grammatical errors.

Well, I'm about a third of the way through encoding an updated version of these edits. This version 1.1 will be the final version for the foreseeable future. Emanswfan may still produce an updated source, but I'll have to see what's going on in my life at that point before jumping back into this. For now, this will be it. I'll put the new versions up on megaupload in a few weeks when they are done, and find some way of graciously dropping the old torrents in favor of the new ones.

Changes for Episode I that come to mind include the reintroduction of a few limited references to the "chosen one" prophecy, giving Qui-Gon a few last words rather than dropping dead, reinserting a trimmed version of the 'farewell to Threepio' scene, pulling back on a few edits that were too quick, and improving several audio transitions and a few audio dropouts.

For Episode II, I pulled back on a few edits that were too quick or introduced unnecessary continuity errors, reinserted one brief allusion to the chosen one prophecy, and reworked the day-for-night effect used during the lakeside kiss scene (but not for the DVD version, as the old one still looks better in SD; sorry, I know it sucks).

For Episode III, I reinserted the references to the chosen one prophecy during the Jedi traffic scene (only there), reinserted Obi-Wan's "hello there" to Grievous, reworked Obi-Wan cutting Grievous' first hand off, trimmed an additional Windu line from right before his death, and a few other things nobody would ever notice.

Oh, and I almost forgot the reason I wanted to do an updated version in the first place! User smudger9 graciously rendered new opening crawls for me that look MUCH more like the crawls in the films. They're fantastic!

So that's version 1.1, coming relatively soon to a downloadplace near you. I'll be glad when this project is utterly completed, and I can delete my source files before I get any more funny ideas.

Hi there I've been torrenting your cuts from proxybay, and so far so good on this movie 89%, nearly done, but the other two movies Episode I, & II seem to be almost completely unseeded. And my main reason for wanting to watch these cuts were the first two movies. I was hoping to watch them this weekend with my girlfriend. That doesn't matter so much, but it appears my inability to download them is rather frustrating.

Also read the rules please.

Minor update: All versions are encoded and muxed. I've also recorded commentary tracks for all three. All I need now is a slightly tweaked cover from OnlyOneKenobi to reflect the revisions, and I can begin uploading. My year long project can come to a close soon.
My hope is that these edits would represent my summation of the best to date of the collective attempt at improving the prequels through conventional FaxFix editing (i.e., no 'radical' edits). They're locked in at a max resolution of 1080p due to deleted scenes, so I think this version will pretty much be it, though I'll see if Emanswfan's forthcoming regrade source is compelling enough to merit about about 6 weeks of encoding time.

I'd LOVE to see a version of these with emanswfan's sources. That'd (I think) permanently scratch an itch I've had for quite some time now.

Me too. And while I can't guarantee my life will allow it, I'm enough of a nerd that I'm sure it'll end up happening anyway.

Just wanted to update anyone concerned about version 2 (or version 1.1, whichever name I decide to call it).
I'm waiting on Hundsdorfex, a user at OT.com, who is doing a few special effects shots for me for Episode III. He's recreating JasonN's idea of replacing the Death Star with the planet Coruscant. I considered using upscaled footage from JasonN's DVD, but it really stood out as poor quality. Hundsdorfex is also working on a new shot of the Taintive IV flying through space to replace the shot of it approaching Naboo for landing, to more fully erase the plot point of Padme's death.
In the meantime, I've taken the opportunity to tweak a little more. I've recorded a commentary track for all three, so I have not (and will not) do anything further to change the running time in any way. For Episode I, I downloaded Schorman's preservation of the HDTV broadcast of the 2001 (DVD) version of TPM. Don't worry, I'm still using the BluRay as the primary source! But I am using Schorman's version to buffer two of the deleted scenes I used, for better blending into the film. I've dialed the film grain up a little more than version 1 for all three too. I feel good being able to watch Episode II and just be able to identify visible film grain.
I've been out of communication with cover artist OnlyOneKenobi, so I will upload version 2 when it's ready regardless of the submission of updated cover art. It can always be listed on the site later.
I will begin encoding Episode I now, and upload once the three versions are ready. (Might take a good two weeks, though.) Episode II will follow, and the FX for Episode III should be ready by then.
THEN, I will utterly forget about the Star Wars prequels until such times as Emanswfan completes his filmized fan edit source. I will plug his source into my sequence timelines, re-encode, and then be truly finished with editing the Star Wars prequels for the foreseeable future.

Just a little update.
I had to start over with rendering Episode I. I noticed, after finishing all three, a few glitchy frames in one of the shots I used from the HDTV source. I've fixed it, but it means having to reencode all over again.
On the bright side, I've done a few color tweaks to make the film look a little more like... well, real film. I crushed the blacks slightly, desaturated a little, and tweaked the coloring away from green only in the mids and highlights. I've tested it and it looks pretty good. Not nearly as heavy as what Emanswfan is doing, but enough to help the films appear as though they were sourced from film.
Once Episode I is ready, I'll replace v1 with v2 on the .info and the 'spleen and notify you all here. Then II and III will follow. I need a new computer to help render, but I'm on a shoestring budget and my Core2Duo will have to carry us through this. Rest assured, this will be finished in a timely manner for you all.

Thank you for the Fan Edits. I plan to show your Ep 1 edit to friends as their first taste of fan edits.

I see that your V2 of Ep2 is loaded to .info but it only contains a DVD link. Was their plans for a 720p version?

Yup; they'll appear as they are encoded and uploaded. The 720p version will up soon, and the 1080p will follow!

Update: Episodes I and II are available in all formats on the 'spleen, and the final format for Episode II is being uploaded to the .info.
Episode III will need to be uploaded in a different order than usual. I am beginning the 720p encode, then the DVD version, and the 1080p one will be the last one.

Due to a seemingly insurmountable problem with FCP7's Share feature, I had to export to a mov file and reencode from there. The 720p and DVD versions will have some noticeable aliasing, unfortunately.
Not entirely unrelated, I just tried to do a test encode of ten seconds of footage with different setting and accidentally overwrote the 720p encode I just finished. So it may be a little while before it's posted.
I still intend to use Emanswfan's regraded sources as they become available, so for me that will be the definitive version. I'll figure out how to address the share issue by then, even if I have to do a clean install of my whole system. But I can't do it right now so there'll be some aliasing for this version, but not for the final one in the (near?) future.

Aliasing issue overcome. Uploads will commence tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom