• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

7.1 Surround and Vegas

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've started work on a disc that provides 7.1 audio, but Vegas only supports 5.1. I'm not sure what I should be doing with the extra channels. Should I be down-mixing the back four somehow, or can I simply ignore two of the back channels?

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should downmix, instead of ignoring channels since you'll lose some content.

I use this tool a lot:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would definitely check and see if there's also an officially produced 5.1 track on the disc along with the 7.1 track and use that instead if possible. That way there would be no margin of error.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll double check, but I only saw 7.1 and 2.0

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should downmix, instead of ignoring channels since you'll lose some content.

Are you sure you're not going to get unintended positioning of sounds by doing that? 7.1 is 5.1 plus one more speaker in between on each side, so if you mix the sounds from those into the others you're basically repositioning or increasing the volume on the other tracks. I would think that at least some of the sound from those two middle speakers would already be in front or rear tracks, but I guess that might not universally be true.

I'd probably run some tests before doing the edit just to see the impact of downmixing vs dropping the tracks on key scenes. I avoid downmixing if possible, since if you do dolby to stereo for instance you often lose some clarity. I just try to avoid 7.1 audio though since Premiere doesn't play nice with it either.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, all.

I should see what happens when I explicitly ask ffmpeg for 5.1 via "channelsplit=channel_layout=5.1[FL][FR][FC][LFE][BL][BR]"...

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you sure you're not going to get unintended positioning of sounds by doing that? 7.1 is 5.1 plus one more speaker in between on each side, so if you mix the sounds from those into the others you're basically repositioning or increasing the volume on the other tracks. I would think that at least some of the sound from those two middle speakers would already be in front or rear tracks, but I guess that might not universally be true.

I'd probably run some tests before doing the edit just to see the impact of downmixing vs dropping the tracks on key scenes. I avoid downmixing if possible, since if you do dolby to stereo for instance you often lose some clarity. I just try to avoid 7.1 audio though since Premiere doesn't play nice with it either.
I’ve listened to the actual content in just those two extra speakers. Trust me. You’re over thinking this.

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve listened to the actual content in just those two extra speakers.
So what's the result when you downmix it, does it shove the middle left track in the front left, back left, or both?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you using MakeMKV to rip the video from your disc? I think I've seen 5.1 audio nested under a 7.1 track before, but I'm not sure. It might have been a DTS track nested under DTS-HD or something.

If you can't get a real 5.1 track, you could just import the two extra tracks and just set the fader halfway between front and back on each side to let Vegas do the mix for you. You'd just need to preview a couple of scenes with your surround setup to make sure you have the panning done correctly.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used makemkv to pull the files, and tsmuxer to put them back together (disc has both theatrical cut and director's cut playlists). tsmuxer only shows 7.1 or 2.0 for audio, and that's backed up by what's printed on the back of the case. Oddly, the case says the director's cut is 2160p, but all of the .m2ts files I pulled are 1080p. A puzzle for another day.

Alas, I don't have a surround setup to do a proper test, but I can do an A/B back and forth against the source in my headphones to ensure it's close.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So what's the result when you downmix it, does it shove the middle left track in the front left, back left, or both?
It combines the 4 “rear” channels into two. If you want to really control the percentages and mix, nugen halo downmix can do that. But no one’s likely ever going to notice the difference.

Top Bottom