• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

3D Super Mario games

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's your guys favorite 3D Mario game? Mines Super Mario Galaxy and I'll tell you why: it's gud. And that soundtrack? Neglify that soundtrack is fantastic. It does it to me every time. 

I liked 3D world alot. I miss the atmospheric depth and emotional tone of the galaxy games but it's still fun and well done and succeeds very well at what it aims to do, which is be a 3d version of a classic style super Mario Bros game. When viewed through that specific lense it's pretty hard to expect much better. Never played 3D Land as I hate handhelds. Obvi Super Mario 64 is great even if Galaxy surpassed it and Super Mario Sunshine is only okay for being held back by design choices. 

Discuss.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed Super Mario 64, but although it was revolutionary for its time, I think there are better 3D platformers on the N64 (Banjo Kazooie!!).

Super Mario Sunshine was incredibly frustrating to play through, but it always left a lasting impression.  I like the FLUDD mechanics, and there isn't any one way to achieve your goal.  And, that frustration made achieving the goals that much more satisfying.  The only drawback are the blue coin stars, and some of the missions are a bit cookie-cutter.  I wish more development time had been spent to polish it up a little.  But other than that, it's so satisfying to play.

The Galaxy games.  What can be said that hasn't already been said?  I miss that the free-roaming is gone from the earlier games, but the atmosphere is fantastic, and each level is extremely polished and very memorable.  Unlike Sunshine, these games never dwell on any one mechanic, switching everything up on you just before you get bored of them.  So, it remains fresh and surprising throughout.

3D World is by far my least favorite of the Mario games.  Galaxy was a bit easy to play through, but where it shined in atmosphere and mechanics, 3D World did not.  Don't get me wrong, it's still extremely polished.  But it's not very imaginative, and really easy.

Haven't played Odyssey yet, as I don't have a Switch, but from what I've seen, it looks to have everything I loved about Sunshine, and more.  I expect it would be my favorite if I were to spend any amount of time with it.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Super Mario 64.

That said, I've only ever played SNES & N64 games, so I know nothing.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I would say N64 and older is the Golden Era of gaming, you are missing out on some truly great gems.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Super Mario 64 is good but it hasn’t aged well. I much prefer the DS version.

Haven’t played Sunshine, though I’ve heard both good and bad things about it. Haven’t played 3D Land/World either.

Galaxy 1 is my absolute favorite. Not only does it have great, fun gameplay, but it also has a touching story, simple as it may be. Galaxy 2 carried over the great gameplay and I love it too, but it lacks that same effective story Galaxy 1 had.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Mario Kart 64 for me. It counts.

That’s true, we only focused on the main series.

In that case I should mention that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA is my second favorite. That game was my childhood. Didn’t play the other Mario & Luigi games though for some reason.

Forgot mentioning Odyssey because I don’t own a Switch and can’t play it.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Isn't that 2d?

Crap, forgot the thread was for 3D Mario. Though, the game did get a 3DS remake, so...

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Regarding how well super Mario 64 has aged, the camera hasn't aged well. I think the graphics look decent if you view it as an art style : what I mean to say is the artwork hides the limitations well. I don't like handhelds and playing the 3Ds version on a large screen is very pixelated and unpleasant looking. But I think the controls and gameplay are still perfect. Mario has never controlled better.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
While I would say N64 and older is the Golden Era of gaming, you are missing out on some truly great gems.

I don't disbelieve you.

Top Bottom