• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

3D Fan Edits - Anyone tried this?

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been watching a lot of movies in 3D on the Oculus Quest 2 recently and they look pretty amazing. I discovered a video conversion software program that can render any video as 3D for VR devices. It's not quite the same as movies shot with 3D cameras, but it still mimics 3D and gives it a "light" 3D experience. I've tried it with several videos and it looks pretty good. But this made me wonder if any Fan Editors have made 3D fan edits or converted their own fan edits to 3D.

For anyone interested in trying it, the program I used was Aiseesoft Video Convertor. There are others out there but this worked for me for an older mac so that's what I went with.

Someone is working on a 3d Avatar edit. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but search through the forums for "Avatar" and you should be able to find it.

Prometheus – Special Edition by Agent 9​

going by informtation on the ifdb, this was released as a 3d bluray

There isnt much out there in terms of software that will let you edit a 3d bluray while keeping it in that type of 3d format

Someone is working on a 3d Avatar edit. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but search through the forums for "Avatar" and you should be able to find it.
Avatar: The Final Cut. If you're looking to any type of editing in stereoscopic 3D, I was dumb to make my first edit a 3D one but hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. Fair warning, it's painfully difficult and adds an additional layer of extraneous work for even the most basic edits but if you're set on it, just let me know what you want to know.

Avatar was great in theaters, but aside from that Is 3-D still a thing?
Yeah but not much at the moment, mostly in VR. If VR picks up more/gets more affordable without needing Facebook, 3d video might come back bigger. But 3d tvs don't get sold anymore afaik.

Yeah but not much at the moment, mostly in VR. If VR picks up more/gets more affordable without needing Facebook, 3d video might come back bigger. But 3d tvs don't get sold anymore afaik.
VR isn't my thing but it's nice to know something like 3-D exists in a form for those with interest

But 3d tvs don't get sold anymore afaik.
Whilst that is true, 3D projectors are still very common (Though they're exclusively active). My hope is that Avatar 2 will reignite the 3D craze like the original did. 3D has a habit of getting really big then dying out after too many lazy attempts make the viewers question the need for 3D. But with Avatar 2, it's being filmed in 3D so it will actually be good in 3D. Maybe then we'll get passive 4K 3D OLEDs because THAT is where 3D home viewing is at its best.

It's a bold choice, because 3D is so niche but that seems like an epic idea.

It can be done with After Effects too. For anyone that wants to try this, I'd recommend starting with a short film to test the method. The result will work well with some shots where there's a lot of distance from the subject to the background, but for closeups, you won't notice much of the 3D effect.

I'm just going to give you a complete rundown of everything you'll need for editing in 3D:
- A Blu-ray 3D copy of the movie you want to edit
- A Blu-ray reader for your computer
- MakeMKV to rip the video (Select the secondary MVC channel as it is disabled by default)
- BD3D2MK3D (Convert the MVC encoded MKV into SBS half width (The most popular 3D format) or full width to maintain FULL resolution)
- Disc space to hold several duplicates of the same movie (In the sense that the video is doubled in size compared to 2D as well as all of the extraneous temporary files.
- A Computer and NLE (Non linear editor) capable of editing 4K footage (It's half 4K but editing full width SBS takes a lot of power)
- A LOT of time and patience. (Editing 3D requires the consideration of not just the main film but the 3D depth as well. You can't just convert videos to 3D, it ruins the bitrate, and you can't just slap subtitles on your video without ensuring the 3D depth doesn't cause eye strain.)

I'm just going to give you a complete rundown of everything you'll need for editing in 3D:
- A Blu-ray 3D copy of the movie you want to edit
- A Blu-ray reader for your computer
- MakeMKV to rip the video (Select the secondary MVC channel as it is disabled by default)
- BD3D2MK3D (Convert the MVC encoded MKV into SBS half width (The most popular 3D format) or full width to maintain FULL resolution)
- Disc space to hold several duplicates of the same movie (In the sense that the video is doubled in size compared to 2D as well as all of the extraneous temporary files.
- A Computer and NLE (Non linear editor) capable of editing 4K footage (It's half 4K but editing full width SBS takes a lot of power)
- A LOT of time and patience. (Editing 3D requires the consideration of not just the main film but the 3D depth as well. You can't just convert videos to 3D, it ruins the bitrate, and you can't just slap subtitles on your video without ensuring the 3D depth doesn't cause eye strain.)

However, converting it to SBS essentially means your dealing with a single 2d image (though still 3d) so you should have no concerns for depth or adjusting since BD3DMK3D already takes care of that for you. You would then edit as normal because the 3d part is already taken care of--but if your goal is to make a bluray or at least flag it as 3d- you would want your picture as top/bottom rather than SBS,. You get a better resolution that way. Full SBS is not supported for 3d blu, only half is

Very few pieces of software will allow you to import a full true 3d bluray and edit in that format as well as export it in that same format (Older -when it was "Sony" Vegas allowed this. Scenarist does, dvdlogic makes BD author which can handle this and i'm sure Adobe premiere can too-- all software which cost an arm and a leg)

I would also agree with you that 3d projectors are still common. I bought one about a year ago new from Bestbuy. Absolutely love it. Active also gives a slightly better 3d effect than passive. it didn't break the bank and was worth every penny

Last edited:
Very few pieces of software will allow you to import a full true 3d bluray and edit in that format as well as export it in that same format (Older -when it was "Sony" Vegas allowed this. Scenarist does, dvdlogic makes BD author which can handle this and i'm sure Adobe premiere can too-- all software which cost an arm and a leg)
Whilst there are pieces of software that do support 3D natively, most are prohibitively expensive, (lightworks and DaVinci Resolve both support native 3D editing but ONLY in their premium versions) and I've found it easier to edit as thought it's raw footage in half 4K which increases compatibility and gives me greater flexibility. I edited AVATAR using full with SBS which I then squished for the final 3D render and removed the 3D layer to output a 2D version as well.

Whilst there are pieces of software that do support 3D natively, most are prohibitively expensive, (lightworks and DaVinci Resolve both support native 3D editing but ONLY in their premium versions) and I've found it easier to edit as thought it's raw footage in half 4K which increases compatibility and gives me greater flexibility. I edited AVATAR using full with SBS which I then squished for the final 3D render and removed the 3D layer to output a 2D version as well.
Virtually all of them are cost prohibitive unless you are rolling in the dollars

Virtually all of them are cost prohibitive unless you are rolling in the dollars
So...
2e91d57412e20ea62cba602ca41cf976.jpg

Ahahah and if that were an actual Lego set it would cost as much as the 3d software would.

I literally, have no idea of turning a film into 3D. XD
I remember some 2D-to-3D converters, but the result is just... bad.
Best of luck anyways!^^

Back
Top Bottom