• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

3 more Terminator movies without Arnie!

untitledmt0.jpg

lance henriksen ftw

i know what your saying im talking body size not arnies looks

is it so hard to believe that not every terminator was 6 foot 2?

I think the problem stems from the fact that Arnold is synonymous with the Terminator Franchise.

Hell, why is he called "The Governator" and not "Govermando," or "Govertruelies," lol.

It would be like a Die Hard movie without Bruce Willis, or an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford...sometimes an actor just owns a role so completely that you know the actor is just playing themself.

In this case, Arnold is an outsider with a good heart (T2 & 3) which he sort of is in real life...

What I'm getting at, is that rather than setting the new films around the other 3, they could just re-boot the franchise is a whole different direction. Audiences will not buy into the series any other way.

T4 with the early years of the war, birth of the resistance (in flashbacks?) and ending with a small victory.
T5 is the mid-period of the war, showing more deadly machines and ending with a victory for the machines. Show some desperate situation for the resistance to struggle with in the end.
T6 is the end of the war, period 2029-2032 in which the resistance finally defeats SKYNET and its forces.
It may be possible to strive for a bit more creativity when it comes to these movies than in referance to Star Wars OT.
Is this really what you want to see?
why bother making them?
I don't even think they should be about John Conner. or time travel. those were the first 3 movies.
Much like ALIENS was nothing at all like ALIEN, the series needs a serious re-boot.
And for the love of God, nothing predictable.
Just like with Star Trek, the danger of knowing too much can be detrimental. John Conner is most powerful if he remains a mythical figure, hardly seen. The great leader of mankind. Inevitably, if John is the lead, he will be fooled, betrayed, seduced, make mistakes, even cry. and he will solve all his problems with violence ala TERMINATOR or THE MATRIX. Don't forget the innoble end of NEO THE ONE.
As we have learned from real life, wars are messy affairs. Never actually won by a single mission or person. Maybe its time we stop gloryfying it.
Right, like thats gonna happen. LOL!

Ilubu said:

every terminator are 100% same size they came off a production line

xtomo1978x said:
Ilubu said:

every terminator are 100% same size they came off a production line

of a certain type yes

but can you really say that every single make was identical? that would kind of defeat the purpose of making new ones

body wise yes you only got to watch T3 to see that,why would defeat the purpose of making new ones

Not every Terminator has the same body size.

The fact that the first film showed Franco Columbu as another Terminator shows that there are multiple body types as well as faces.

What the hell good would 100 Arnies be? As soon as it is identified, its use as an infiltrator is zero.

were talking about the terminators just as a Endoskeleton not with all muscle skin etc... over

What, the Franco Terminator has no endoskeleton inside? Of course it does. And it can't be bigger than the skin, so...

The Lance Henrikson Terminator was originally the idea because James Cameron wanted an "every-man", someone who would blend in (and unlike a bulky bodybuilder, be an eyecatcher in a crowd). That's why Lance Henrikson was chosen. But during a talk between James Cameron and Arnie, Arnie talked so much and passionate about how the character should be played, that James casted Arnie as Terminator.

killbillme said:
I don't even think they should be about John Conner.

how could they be about anyone else? He is the leader and hero of the resistance. The whole series revolves around him. You can't depict the the resistance defeating the terminators without Connor playing a major role otherwise, why would Skynet sent terminators back time to kill John Connor?

killbillme said:
. John Conner is most powerful if he remains a mythical figure, hardly seen. The great leader of mankind.

to late we've already seen him in T2 and T3.

killbillme said:
Inevitably, if John is the lead, he will be fooled, betrayed, seduced, make mistakes, even cry.

I don't think that needs to be the case. Look to Kirk Douglas's performance as Spartacus to see how John Connor should be played. You just need to find the right actor to play him.

killbillme said:
and he will solve all his problems with violence ala TERMINATOR

no kidding. Is that a bad thing when your problem is Skynet and the Terminators? Terminator movies are supposed to be violent. That is what people want to see went they go to them. A Terminator movie without violence would seem very weird.

killbillme said:
It may be possible to strive for a bit more creativity when it comes to these movies than in referance to Star Wars OT.

well, I don't know how you would the depict the war between the humans and machines in three movie without showing the beginning of the war in the 1st film, the middle of the war in the 2nd and the end of the war in the 3rd. Seems to be the only way to do it.

killbillme said:
Don't forget the innoble end of NEO THE ONE.

huh?

killbillme said:
As we have learned from real life, wars are messy affairs. Never actually won by a single mission or person. Maybe its time we stop gloryfying it.

in real life you are right. But in the Terminator series, John Connor is depicted as the hero of the war to depict it otherwise would cause consistency problems with the first 3 films. Again, if war against the machines isn't won by John Connor, why would Skynet try to kill him in the past?

killbillme said:
Maybe its time we stop gloryfying it.

yeah that's not going to happen in the movies. People love violence in the movies. You do too, that is why you are fan of atleast the first 2 Terminator movies.

6fqjb4k.jpg

i rest my case all the same size!!!!!!!!!!!

how could they be about anyone else? He is the leader and hero of the resistance. The whole series revolves around him. You can't depict the the resistance defeating the terminators without Connor playing a major role otherwise, why would Skynet sent terminators back time to kill John Connor?

True. However, if you look at the American Civil war, You had Lincoln as President, Union Leader General Ulyssess Grant and Confederate Leader General Robert E. Lee. You can't really say that the only stories about the civil war have to center around them.

to late we've already seen him in T2 and T3.

Yes, but we only saw the child John Conner. In neither case did we see the great leader of Mankind, the scarred war veteran that send his own father back in time to die.

I don't think that needs to be the case. Look to Kirk Douglas's performance as Spartacus to see how John Connor should be played. You just need to find the right actor to play him.

I am talking about the character as he might be written, not the character as he might be portrayed.

no kidding. Is that a bad thing when your problem is Skynet and the Terminators? Terminator movies are supposed to be violent. That is what people want to see went they go to them. A Terminator movie without violence would seem very weird.

I am just advocating cleverness in the writing. After the umpteen gun battle in THE MATRIX sequels, I just didn't care.

well, I don't know how you would the depict the war between the humans and machines in three movie without showing the beginning of the war in the 1st film, the middle of the war in the 2nd and the end of the war in the 3rd. Seems to be the only way to do it.

How long did you think about it? exactly my point. If you look at THE LORD OF THE RING there were actually 2 wars and multi quests in 3 movies. Your thinking is too linear.

If you didnt get my reference to NEO THE ONE from THE MATRIX, let me explain. At the end of the Matrix, Neo has reached a state were the future was wide open. He didn't know what was to happen. He had reached an understanding about the Matrix and his role as the One prophesied by the Oracle. If it had only ended there.
Unfortunately, we got RELOADED and REVOLUTION which as sequels go, didn't have the clarity and cleverness of the original. Now Neo is not unique, we have the Conductor and the Merovingian and his albino goons and Agent Smith and Oracle, the Architech ad nauseum.
I'd hate a similar treatment of the John Conner mythos.

xtomo1978x said:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i8.tinypic.com/6fqjb4k.jpg

You can't rest your case on that. One picture? Unless you mean that the endoskeletons in that shot are all the endos in the entire world? (Not to mention that there's no proof that all the endos in that pic are the same size anyway.)

I already gave you proof that they come in different sizes.

I rest my case.

Uncanny Antman said:
xtomo1978x said:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i8.tinypic.com/6fqjb4k.jpg

You can't rest your case on that. One picture? Unless you mean that the endoskeletons in that shot are all the endos in the entire world? (Not to mention that there's no proof that all the endos in that pic are the same size anyway.)

I already gave you proof that they come in different sizes.

I rest my case.

i too rest Antmans case since he has provided proof that does in fact negate your factless picture

(OK, addressing several discussions here)

Connor almost has to be the main character. T2 and T3 set him up, and the ending of T3 implies that his story is far from other. Bringing in some other character as a protagonist might not work. I think they can do him justice.

As for trilogy arcing, the traditional set-up works. We don't want something like The Matrix, where the sequels didn't follow the classic arc, but it could be argued that they totally failed. I certainly hated the direction that those movies took. If the writers can think of something really great, that would be good. But let's face it, they can't. Safer just to have birth, cliffhanger, resolution. I haven't even seen a trilogy utilized that in a while, either. It's always open-ended and stuff with sequels being tack-ons or more vague continuations instead of a thought-out, pre-planned arc.

The T-800 endos were mass produced, but they might have made different sized ones for other models in infiltration mode. Even if they didn't, the basical skeletal structure would still allow for different looks and stuff.

Connor almost has to be the main character. T2 and T3 set him up, and the ending of T3 implies that his story is far from other. Bringing in some other character as a protagonist might not work.

there is another character whose arc is as or even more interesting: Kyle Reese. he's the Anakin Skywalker of the series. We know we're going to meet him and we already know his end. he has to work his way from helpless child to Conners right hand man, sent on the mission to save his mom. we could tell the whole story from his point of view. he becomes Frodo to John Conner's Aragon. i keep going back to LOTR because who is the main character there? Frodo? well there were plenty of other protagonists and it wasnt just about Frodo.

I think they can do him justice.
I guess thats based on how well the series has improved? or based on Hollywood's ability to improve and not cheapen their product?

T4 has already been fast-tracked for production, with Halcyon looking to get the installment in theaters by summer 2009.
Yes, it appears they're going for quality.

As for trilogy arcing, the traditional set-up works. We don't want something like The Matrix, where the sequels didn't follow the classic arc, but it could be argued that they totally failed. I certainly hated the direction that those movies took. If the writers can think of something really great, that would be good. But let's face it, they can't. Safer just to have birth, cliffhanger, resolution.

I don't think it's a question wheather writers can/cannot come up with the goods. It has to come from above, the producers, the ones who hire the writers and approve the scripts. The cost of these films more or less forces the producers not to take chances. to play to for the lowest comon denominator, to not take any chances.

Sadly, it's doubtfull that it's any different in this case.

The ideas you have about Reese are interesting. I would be hesitant to see him played by anybody other than Biehn, though. That's the rub. I am a big Biehn fan.

There's a 95% chance that these movies are not going to meet their potential. But there is also a 75% chance that I will still enjoy them, even if I exit the theater disappointed like I have for X3 and Spider-Man 3.

Back
Top Bottom