• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

29.97fps to 23.976fps

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry,  thought I put Boon in there. Little sleep, finals week and autotype...a dangerous combination.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried to convert some deleted scenes from Alien Anthology from 29,97 to 23,976 - no luck :/

After couple of days of searching and trying I'll probably give up... So just a simple question - Is there a simple solution for it without using Avisynth which I really hate?

Solution suggested in this thread leads to slo-mo file longer than original.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Gieferg are the scenes from a dvd? If you rip the files using DVDShrink (non compressed setting) or MakeMKV it should automatically extract the correct 23.976 file.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Scenes from Blu-ray but they're SD in standard NTSC DVD framerate, I'll try MakeMKV.

EDIT: Converted video to be in DVD standard (mpeg-2/vob in VIDEO_TS folder), then used Make MKV - nope. It's still 29,97. DVDShrink - same result. Nothing is changed. The thing is, reverse telecine has to be made, but I dont know how to do it properly. I did it once with VirtualDUB but it still didn't work exactly the way it was supposed to.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Odd, I just did this yesterday and it worked perfectly for me 🤷‍♂️
Ran the files through mediainfo and it said 23.976 fps

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dont see any specirfic settings for framerate in those programs, so it seems I cant change anything. Both VLC and Vegas say it's 29,97.

Do your files created that way play completely fine without any visible judder or jerkiness? Because that feels just too simple of a solution to work flawlessly, especially after everything I've read about reverse telecine and some complicated procedures involving avisynth, virtualDub and other software.

I can convert it in Vegas but the result doesn't seem right. I may end up using PAL version from my old Alien edit and just change the speed of it from 25 to 24 fps, it may be simpler than converting NTSC after all...

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a while since I've done it and I'm no expert but...

In Virtual Dub you should be able to use the IVTC (inverse telecine) option under video/filters tab to change 29.97 to 23.97. Click "Add.." to choose the IVTC filter then select 'reduce frame rate'.

I forget but at the same time you might also have to go under the framerate option in the video tab and select "change frame rate to" and enter the value "24000000/1001000", plus make sure "Process all frames" is selected.

Experiment with the first part, see if the output is 23.976 and plays/looks okay. If not combine it with the second option.

There are more detailed guides here: https://forums.fanedit.org/forums/file-conversion.23/

benduwan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i´ve try it with avidemux and handbreak. not so satisfying. then i convert it with xmedia recode and it seems it work.mediainfo says 23,98.
and i don´t see any jumpcuts or so...🤷‍♂️

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
any way of doing this in ffmpeg? virtualdub's not working for me.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And what is the problem with Virtual Dub? I had to convert the video to AVI first (x264, needed specific codec for windows for it), used xmedia recode for it and then convert it to 23,976.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And what is the problem with Virtual Dub? I had to convert the video to AVI first (x264, needed specific codec for windows for it), used xmedia recode for it and then convert it to 23,976.
Yeah i had a codec issue, after convering to avi and trying to export. Will try Xmedia

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What codecs did you use to convert to avi btw? Avidemux throws up a warning when i try to convert mkv to avi whilst keeping it x264.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What codecs did you use to convert to avi btw? Avidemux throws up a warning when i try to convert mkv to avi whilst keeping it x264.
Most using AVI are using lagarith. Huge file sizes. Near lossless. Unplayable outside the editor, but very smooth preview playback in an NLE.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I remember correctly I converted it to x264 first, and then losless exported from VirtualDub.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Worth noting that DaVinci will not work with lagarith, if you happen to be using that.

Top Bottom