• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

27 Weeks Later... [Spoilers]

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've cut about 20 minutes from 28 Weeks Later. This reduces the soldiers, the "you are under surveillance" stuff and the exposition about re-entering London in one large cut just after the 10 minute chase sequence at the beginning. It also removes Don following his kids, so they meet only by chance, after Don has entered the tube station.

What is it about? To remove much of the unnecessary exposition and the more annoying elements of the film.

Original film name: 28 Weeks Later
New film name: 27 Weeks Later...
Film studio name: Fox Atomic Pictures/DNA Films
Original runtime: 90 minutes
New runtime: 70 minutes
Amount of time cut: 20 minutes

Cuts removed/added/extended:
  • Changed all instances of "28" to "27" keeping consistent with the CBB edit of 28 Days Later.[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Less soldiers[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • No "entering London" sequence[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Don no longer follows his kids[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Includes digitally removing Don from two shots[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Also reduced much of the sight of him as an Infected[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Underground sequence is audio only (no video, total darkness)[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Rescored Leaving Britain sequence (it was at this point where In The House - In A Heartbeat was overused)[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Recut the Leaving Britain sequence to fit the music[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • Some custom credits[/*:m:vifle0js]

Software used:
  • Sony Vegas Pro 8[/*:m:vifle0js]
  • The GIMP[/*:m:vifle0js]

Rapidshare:
  • H.264 MP4 / Stereo Audio[/*:m:vifle0js]

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pretty cool.
I will definitely watch this and grant you a nice review... :)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I look forward to your review, boon :) The render will be done quite soon.

Also added some more editing details that I forgot to put in last time to the first post.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent. Looking forward to seeing this. :)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The MP4 is about 785MB, and is uploading to Rapidshare now.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The MP4 is now on Rapidshare!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
27 Weeks Later by Ghostcut Pictures

review by boon23

Soon after the release I could not resist watching this fanedit, because a) I have created 27 Days Later b) I love the series c) I am Horror and especially Zombie movie fan (even though this series is not about zombies, but infected people).

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
This fanedit reduces the mediocre sequel to 28 Days Later by 20 minutes, which means, almost 1/4 of the original movie is gone. This is for sure a sign of heavy editing and a lot of footage not being shown. What is reduced most of all are the scenes with Don, with the people arriving in London to repopulate it and with the soldiers. Certainly it is a very good idea to remove scenes with Don, since he was the weakest point of the movie. The arrival of the new inhabitants is also quite a good idea, because their scenes were long and dragging. Cutting the soldiers is a different story, because I think, they truly added to the atmosphere of the movie: the feeling of being watched, secured, spied by snipers. It also adds to the feeling that the infected are still close and a possible danger.

scene by scene review (not every scene is mentioned):
The fanedit starts just like the original movie does and it is good that way, because the beginning, the claustrophobic atmosphere, totally rocks, especially when the infected enter and all people can do is run for their lives.
- From there we make a huge jump to Don talking to his already returned kids. This works well.
- The plot continues to the kids finding their mother, which is brought to a security quarantine room. Again, this is very well cut.
- Now it gets confusing for me, because Don, who seems like a normal survivor enters a lot of rooms using a security keycard and I could not help but wonder, why he should have one of these, as it is not shown.
- Meanwhile the army decides to get rid of the wife, as she is a carrier of the virus. It adds to the security flaw, why Don could visit her at all. She bites him in his tongue or infects him with her saliva (this is not explained) and all hell breaks lose. I would loved to see this further edited.
- Now when (infected) Don kills his wife, he acts too conscious and also has a flashback. His squeezing of her eyes is very unlikely for an infected and I would have loved to see this removed. The consciousness of Don is a problem in a later scene as well. What makes it a problem to me, is that I don't believe it, according to the predecessor, where none of the infected ever acted consciously.
- Code Red begins and chaos rules. There are not many changes (besides the removal of Don), which I spotted in this section, it works very well. The removal of Don from a lot of these scenes is VERY good. As soon as he becomes infected he is no longer important. Just another infected. The original movie made the huge mistake to change that.
- The kids, along with Alice, Doyle and a stranger run for their lives until the gas attack. I am not sure there were any changes, but if there were: Good editing.
- Alice and the kids walk through the subway and we lose Alice. Ghostcut took this chance to get really experimental by letting the entire scene play in complete blackness, which lasts 3 minutes. I was not too happy with this decision as I found it confusing and even went back to the forum to check, if this is really fanedited. It is. It would have worked better, if the transition used was not a fade but an upward move to black. This way it would have looked like them going down the stairway and entering the darkness. And of course I would have preferred outlines to complete blackness. I think the original subway scene works better, especially because of the loss of Alice, which should have been shown as she was an important part. Of course there is the Don problem, which had to be solved.
- Don bites Andy. Well, this is the next scene in which Don clearly acts half-consciously. And it's not good. It's better than in the original, but still it's rather confusing.
- the kids reach the chopper, fly to Paris. All well done, I really prefer the new music, although it is too loud compared to the overall volume of the movie. I am not sure, why I did not find the finale shocking, but it is probably caused by knowing the original.
- end credits. Another font than Times New Roman or whatever serif font it was, would have been nice. With 7:30 min the credits are way to long for a fanedit IMO.

This fanedit is an improvement over the original, still it is not as good as I hoped for. Several bugging issues remained (Don) and some things were deleted, which I would have liked to stay (soldiers). Still this is flawless entertaining with only the keycard plothole, which is minor.
The editing job was done well. There are no rough cuts to the audio or the video, the plot works. I was most of the time well entertained, sometimes thrilled and sometimes not happy with the editing (keycard and underground).
editing: 3 of 5,
entertainment: 3 of 5

Image quality:
I only watched the mp4 version (as it was the only version available at that time) and the image sometimes looked a bit washed out. But it's still good.
video quality: 4 of 5

Audio quality:
The audio comes in 48000Hz 128 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0), which is good for this format. There was a tiny volume issue in the end, when the score seemed to loud, besides that it was well done
audio: 4 of 5

resulting in a 3 of 5 overall rating from me.
This is an improvement to the original movie. I enjoyed watching it and don't consider it a waste of time, so it gets my recommendation to be watched. However, I can imagine this improved some more.

poll: you can change your vote whenever you want to.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boon, I really appreciate the review. I am never entirely sure whether I've done an edit quite right until I've gotten at least 1 review.

About the soldiers: Certainly this cut was the removal of an element of the film that always annoyed me, and I found somewhat unnecessary. I got the impression in the film that everybody was quite complacent in their little comfort zones.

The keycard plothole was an oversight on my part. There was a little scene in the original that explained this quite well, that was a casualty of the large cut during the Entering London sequence. However when I look back on it, I am not entirely sure exactly where the best place to put this back in is. Though, I didn't see the killing of Don's wife to be a particularly conscious thing, even the eye gouging bit.

The kids, along with Alice, Doyle and a stranger run for their lives until the gas attack. I am not sure there were any changes, but if there were: Good editing.

The only change was one little cut and a digital paint job on a particular scene to remove Don again.

There were a number of things I didn't like about the scene in the Tube station, which included the nightvision sequences and Don of course. I felt a very good way to get rid of this entirely is just having the audio playing.

The change of music will definitely be rectified for a later release. It's easy to fix, anyway, not much time on my part. Look out for a true 5.1 track as well!

All in all boon, I thank you for your comments. I hope that at least puts many of the points you raised into perspective and I'm glad that for the most part you enjoyed this edit.

Top Bottom