• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2015 Movies

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been sort of slacking on this thread. So I'll just do a quick rundown of the films I've seen so far this year and how I felt about them.

Early movies:
Kingsman: The Secret Service (B)
Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (D+)
Chappie (C-)
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (A-)
Ex Machina (A-)
Furious 7 (B)

Summer Movies:
Avengers: Age of Ultron (B-)
Mad Max: Fury Road (A-)
Tomorrowland (B-)
Jurassic World (B)
Inside Out (A-)
Ant-Man (C+)
Trainwreck (B-)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (B)
Straight Outta Compton (B)

It's interesting to look back at my anticipated movies of the year and see how they stack up. Some were various levels of disappointment (Chappie, Avengers, Tomorrowland, Ant-Man), some were more or less what I expected/hoped (Kingsman, Furious 7, Jurassic World, Inside Out, Mission: Impossible) and others weren't even on my radar but ended up making big impressions (Going Clear, Ex Machina, Straight Outta Compton). And then there was one movie that completely exceeded my expectations are remains my favorite of the year (Mad Max, of course). There was also one I (think I wisely) skipped, Terminator Genisys.

Now let's look at the fall. It's only September and I've already seen three late-in-the-year films that were on my list:
Black Mass (B)
The Martian (A-)
The Walk (A-)
The first, Black Mass, didn't quite live up to its potential but the other two definitely do, and I highly recommend you see them when they come out (preferably in IMAX 3D).

Unfortunately some of the films I was anticipating this year will not be out (Scorsese's Silence, Midnight Special, and a couple more that are supposedly terrible anyway, Knight of Cups and Sea of Trees). But I'm still very much looking forward to the others I listed (note that St. James Place is now Bridge of Spies), in addition to some other films which should be good, namely

Cary Joji Fukunaga's Beasts of No Nation

Tom McCarthy's Spotlight

Sarah Gavron's Suffragette

Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs

Adam McKay's The Big Short

and Ryan Coogler's Creed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ9OhBYjTds[/video]

...also, just because it's probably the best trailer of all time and is always worth watching again, here's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs[/video]

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Creed looks exceptional. If a few months ago you told me a Rocky spin off would have me as excited as new Bond and Star Wars, I'd have laughed, and then slapped you. That trailer is really selling it, hopefully it's as good as it looks!

I'm going to check out some I missed based on those letter grades you gave, specifically Black Mass and Going Clear.

What made you give Tomorrowland such a high score? That's tied with Fantastic Four as the worst movie I've seen this year. Yours is legitimately the first favorable thing I've read about it.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
What made you give Tomorrowland such a high score? That's tied with Fantastic Four as the worst movie I've seen this year. Yours is legitimately the first favorable thing I've read about it.

If I may jump in, I could explain what I really liked about it, which may be pretty specific to me. I went to school for physics and have a 9 year old daughter. This is relevant. Most movies aimed at kids and girls in particular reinforce a lot of tropes that I find bizarre at best and disturbing at worst. Tomorrowland centered around a girl whose main love interest was engineering and science, not a dumb boy. It was about servicing grand ideas and creating things. I also was a single father for most of my oldest daughter's life, and there are a million movies about single moms but rarely the other way. Now, is it kinda thematically a convoluted mess? Yep. Do any of these so-called positive messages (imo) make the movie work for you more? Not at all. I get most of the criticism. But for me to go to the theater with my kid and watch something about wonder, science and a single father doing his best? We had a great time. My contexts are pretty specific but I wanted you to at least read something else positive about it. :)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
If I may jump in, I could explain what I really liked about it, which may be pretty specific to me. I went to school for physics and have a 9 year old daughter. This is relevant. Most movies aimed at kids and girls in particular reinforce a lot of tropes that I find bizarre at best and disturbing at worst. Tomorrowland centered around a girl whose main love interest was engineering and science, not a dumb boy. It was about servicing grand ideas and creating things. I also was a single father for most of my oldest daughter's life, and there are a million movies about single moms but rarely the other way. Now, is it kinda thematically a convoluted mess? Yep. Do any of these so-called positive messages (imo) make the movie work for you more? Not at all. I get most of the criticism. But for me to go to the theater with my kid and watch something about wonder, science and a single father doing his best? We had a great time. My contexts are pretty specific but I wanted you to at least read something else positive about it. :)

That actually makes a lot of sense to me, as all of the things you just mentioned absolutely worked within the film. And honestly, the first half of the movie is very good. I think it all really falls apart in the worst way once they actually reach Tomorrowland.

Typical Damon Lindelof script: A fine adventure leading to the mystery box, but when you get to the mystery box there's just a note in it that says "F**K YOU"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Martian is as good as as everyone says :).

5 boys, who were clearly not quite old enough for a 12A, were in the queue ahead of me and I noticed they'd all bought large cans of energy drinks :-|. Naturally given my luck, when I got into the cinema they were sat right next to me and before the film started they were playing with their phones, shouting, booing the trailer for 'Suffragette' (Because like ewww girls with opinions!) and generally being noisy. But you know what, they sat through the whole movie in silence and even applauded at the end. That's the mark of well crafted movie when it can keep 5 hyperactive kids entertained ;-).

Oh and that was the first time I've seen the Star Wars trailer on the big screen. The feels!

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
That actually makes a lot of sense to me, as all of the things you just mentioned absolutely worked within the film. And honestly, the first half of the movie is very good. I think it all really falls apart in the worst way once they actually reach Tomorrowland.
Yep. In addition to what cuddlyninja said (well spoken, bud), I find it hard to diss on the film. It's a wholly original film, and just the sort of old school sci-fi adventure that I love and that doesn't really get made anymore.

I agree, things really fall apart when they reach Tomorrowland, though the seeds of the problems there were planted earlier. That's really only the last third though so I can't completely hate it. And I think I agreed with what they were trying to say (at the very least I appreciate the promotion of optimism).

All in all, an imperfect film but an entertaining one nonetheless.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'm just allergic to Damon Lindelof now. I don't think I'll ever forgive him for Prometheus/ Star Trek Into Darkness. When I see his particular brand of terrible pop up in a movie it just bothers me even more.

Glad to hear Martian was good! I'm trying to go see that this week. Also very much looking forward to Sicario.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Martian is as good as as everyone says :).

5 boys, who were clearly not quite old enough for a 12A, were in the queue ahead of me and I noticed they'd all bought large cans of energy drinks :-|. Naturally given my luck, when I got into the cinema they were sat right next to me and before the film started they were playing with their phones, shouting, booing the trailer for 'Suffragette' (Because like ewww girls with opinions!) and generally being noisy. But you know what, they sat through the whole movie in silence and even applauded at the end. That's the mark of well crafted movie when it can keep 5 hyperactive kids entertained ;-).

Oh and that was the first time I've seen the Star Wars trailer on the big screen. The feels!

I quite liked it as well. I was surprised at how funny it was. I love movies (and TV shows for that matter) that get me excited for the smart people. The only complaint I have is it focuses so much in the ingenuity of those involved that it only touches the surface of the emotions of such a situation. But I don't think I'd want the movie to be any longer and nothing really jumped out at me as being extraneous.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I agree with your assessment Moe. A fun movie with a welcome appreciation of science and innovation, but lacking in emotional depth. That's, for me, what's keeping it from being an all timer (like Interstellar).

Just saw Sicario​. Very intense. Very Good.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
^I agree with your assessment Moe. A fun movie with a welcome appreciation of science and innovation, but lacking in emotional depth. That's, for me, what's keeping it from being an all timer (like Interstellar).

Just saw Sicario​. Very intense. Very Good.

Ha, funny because I thought Interstellar was pretty bad. I liked The Martian way more. Of course I think Nolan is pretty overrated which you clearly don't. It's interesting though that if we're talking about big name directors, I thought The Martian barely felt like a Ridley Scott movie. It was as if he was consciously avoiding his usual tendencies.

Can't wait to see Sicario.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Ha, funny because I thought Interstellar was pretty bad. I liked The Martian way more. Of course I think Nolan is pretty overrated which you clearly don't. It's interesting though that if we're talking about big name directors, I thought The Martian barely felt like a Ridley Scott movie. It was as if he was consciously avoiding his usual tendencies.

Can't wait to see Sicario.

Oof, Interstellar. Another one that just completely falls apart in its last third. I actually gave that another watch recently, and it's spectacular... until right after Coop detaches into the black hole.

It's odd that there are so many movies like this lately, that just can't quite stick the landing. I'm not sure if they're just trying too hard to be "revolutionary" or whatever, but it's distressing. It's very difficult to fanedit an ending that is so thoroughly whiffed.

I realize I'm in the minority on Interstellar, and I really have nothing against Nolan (The Prestige, Memento, and Inception are all-timers) but I hate Interstellar because it ruins itself so thoroughly.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guillermo del Toro's new Gothic-Romance-Horror-Ghost-Story-Fantasy-Mystery-Period-Drama 'Crimson Peak' is really very, very good but I strongly suggest finding out nothing about it before you see it. I just heard Kermode's enthusiastic spoiler-free review (He gave it film-of-the-week)...

...and I went on the strength of that. DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER!

It has one thing I didn't like...

...which was the use of sudden deafening-volume based jump-scares at a few points. The movie is creepy, spooky, chilling and mysterious from the start, so these moments took me out of that and makes what is a gorgeous looking film feel cheap. It's like "Boooo! You are are watching a movie". This is especially sad given the otherwise superb sound-design which keeps you immersed with nerves shredded throughout.

With a few minor fanedit tweaks like with this issue^, it could very well be Guillermo's best movie.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Walk:

Could have been a good movie without the constant voice over (with a lot of times a cut back to the character looking at the audience) telling what we are about to see, or worse, what we just have seen. I don't understand how Zemeckis thought it would be a good idea. It could almost work as a silent movie! Why adding that CONSTANT horrible voice over that put a distance between the audience and the action and brings the tension to zero?
I guess that he wanted to add a "Amelie" kind of feeling to his movie. But it just does not work.

Add to that a movie theater with the light on the screen not really adjusted for the 3D (picture WAY too dark) and a main character that is some kind of weirdo that you never really connect with and you end up with a very average movie experience.
Too bad, cause the idea is good and the last 30 minutes or so ARE impressive.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Guillermo del Toro's new Gothic-Romance-Horror-Ghost-Story-Fantasy-Mystery-Period-Drama 'Crimson Peak' is really very, very good but I strongly suggest finding out nothing about it before you see it.
On a dark and rainy night, I put aside my significant skepticism of Del Toro and gave this a try.

And I quite enjoyed the first half. The patient table-setting, getting to the house, the walls closing in... all this worked. And then we got to the big, dark secret...

Sibling incest and knocking off wives for money. That's it. The fact that Mia sometimes sees ghosts plays a minor narrative part, but doesn't really tie in thematically to the incest itself, just to the murders. In fact, one could pretty easily have written the ghosts out of the script entirely, and changed very little. The mysterious and sinister digging machines are also a red herring; even though one turns on (for no apparent reason) at the end, it still doesn't doesn't play a part in things. All of which: okay, I guess. It works. (As long as one doesn't question why the servants haven't ratted Tom and Lucille out to the authorities, and why no one at the post office seems at all distrustful of Tom and/or concerned for Edith. Just the local mother-killer and serial husband and his latest wife dropping by, let's just have him rent the room downstairs, no biggie. Wait, what?)

But I'm afraid the incest thing also pretty much crippled the movie for me. Hinting at incest is a classic horror trope, and a definite factor in several Poe works (the dude did marry his 13-y.o. cousin), but to put it "out in the open", as Lucille says, and to make it the focal point of the story, seems to me to kill the whole otherworldly atmosphere. I really wanted the siblings to be up to something Lovecraftian and occult - like, they were trying to use the machines to burrow their way into/build a portal to Hell or some shit, and their unnatural closeness would not be shown, at least, to be anything more than unholy cooperation in such a sinister venture. Anyway, I feel sorry for any potential couples that might have gone in expecting a good ol' ghost-filled spookfest, and walked out still squicking over the incest... :oops:

Grade: B-

... Of course, this isn't the first movie to star Wasikowska as a naive young dreamer in a period English Gothic romance opposite a dashing Marvel supervillain in a large, forbidding house with a deep, dark secret and nighttime danger. And despite all Crimson Peak's fancy sets, costumes, and ghosts, I not only like the other one far more, but find both its romance and its eerie elements much more affecting. This was fine for a watch, but Cary Fukunaga's Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorites.

jane-eyre-2011.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks like it could be really good... although the wig-maker should probably have been sacked...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, oh wow, oh wow! :) I read that this 2000AD documentary is finally getting a release on December 7th (DVD)...

If Santa doesn't include this in my stocking there will be trouble... oh wait, I forgot that Judge Dredd killed Santa some time in the 90s... :-D

22820397979_dcd322fe1c_o.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

CREED 9/10!!!!
:thumb:

Just saw it and thoroughly LOVED it!

It is pure Rocky formula, but in the very best way. It has the depth and emotional weight of Rocky I and II. Jordan is excellent and gives a very moving performance, but Stallone is utterly mesmerizing. Once again proving he can be a great actor with the right material and director. He role is the heart of the movie, and I can say I teared up a couple of times.

When Rocky learns he has cancer and talks about Adrian... wow! Incredible heartbreaking performance!!!

But let's not forget seeing Rocky dance! Ear to ear smiling!

Oh and when Rocky visit the graveyard and you see Paulie's headstone!!!

Seriously, Stallone deserves some recognition from the Academy. If not a Supporting Actor nomination (which I believe he truly deserves for this film), then a Life Time Achievement Award.
But the script is perfectly balanced, so it never feels like Rocky is overshadowing Creed.

Some great camera work too, bringing some much needed new energy and fresh perspective to the fight scenes. In fact, the first two round boxing match was filmed (or at least appears to be) as one continuous shot. Wonderful and clever use of the classic Rocky musical themes, particularly in the 12th and final round of the big fight.

If you grew up with the Rocky franchise, I know this movie will please but I think the movie is strong and effective enough even if you had never watched one, this movie will entertain and win your heart. :)

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah Creed was excellent and both worthy as a standalone feature and Rocky sequel (the best there's been in my opinion).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All right, here's my extensive end-of-year list. This is my ranking of every feature-length narrative film I saw released in 2015. Not including documentaries, shorts or stand-up specials.

1) The Hateful Eight
2) Mad Max: Fury Road
3) Ex Machina
4) Anomalisa
5) Star Wars - The Force Awakens
6) Creed
7) Steve Jobs
8) It Follows
9) Straight Outta Compton
10) Creep

11) Spotlight
12) The Revenant