• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2010: A Space Epilogue (Version 2)

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I keep thinking this film doesn't get enough love. While nowhere near the groundbreaking movie that 2001 was, it's still a nice little space adventure.

I'm currently re-editing it to bring it a bit more in line with the style of the original. Here's the plan (I've done a lot of this work already):
  • Gone are the voice overs
  • Downplayed the cold war storyline
  • Drastically reduce or completely remove the synth music and replace it with classical music
  • Less chatting about what they're doing as they're doing it (bringing it more in line with 2001)
  • SPACE IS SILENT (minus music)
  • New opening (not really new, just the bit with Bowman confronting the monolith in Jupiter orbit from 2001)
  • Title cards created to mimic that from 2001 (Jupiter Mission: Circa 2001, Earth: 7 Years Later, Jovian System: 28 months later)
  • Removed a lot of earth based scenes
  • Added some footage from Ad Astra and Jupiter Ascending
All of these cuts add up to a movie with a much shorter runtime of ~90 minutes.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent! I do really like 2010, but its tonal differences with 2001 are a letdown. I like most of your changes, but why are you inserting stuff from Ad Astra and Jupiter Ascending?

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Excellent! I do really like 2010, but its tonal differences with 2001 are a letdown. I like most of your changes, but why are you inserting stuff from Ad Astra and Jupiter Ascending?

Still working on the climax and it's going to be difficult to end the film in a tonally consistent way with 2001. It's the part I've been dreading the most.

The shots from Ad Astra and Jupiter Ascending are just to plug in some transitions. Not adding any story elements from them.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished my edit! Still need to go through it and smooth out some edges but it's basically done so if anyone wants a preview copy, let me know! There's a few shots I still need to get rid of, however... I haven't done a proper watch through yet.

I may have gone a bit overboard with title cards since there's double here then there are in 2001:
  • Jupiter Mission: Circa 2001
  • Earth: 7 Years Later
  • Europa: 28 Months Later
  • Io: U.S.S. Discovery Retrieval
  • Jupiter: Rendezvous with the Infinite
  • 20001: The Dawn of Europans
I could technically cut these down by combining Europa and Io into "Jovian System" and just getting rid of the 20001 title card since that section is so short. However, I really really like having it there because I use the same font as The Dawn of Man for that section and I think it makes for a great wrap up.

Cutting around the original music score became pretty challenging. I've done the best I could but it still crops up here and there, sometimes a note during dialogue. I've used a lot of the 2001 soundtrack but some new music has been added as well.

It's a short 91 minutes but the pacing has been slowed so it should at least feel about as long as 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Poster!

rFoldX9.png

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have any sample videos of the rescoring or updated visuals?

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sure! Here's some samples. The first is the new waltz docking scene I created. I might redo one shot, however, in this one.

The next sample is the aerobraking scene:

Password for both: fanedit.org

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think both scenes work really well with the more sweeping classical soundtrack, but making it feel more like 2001 in this respect really draws attention to how FAST 2010 moves. That first 2 minute clip would have been probably 8 minutes with Kubrick directing!

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think both scenes work really well with the more sweeping classical soundtrack, but making it feel more like 2001 in this respect really draws attention to how FAST 2010 moves. That first 2 minute clip would have been probably 8 minutes with Kubrick directing!
I know, I wish I had more material to work with as I actually ended up shortening the movie quite a bit.

rabbitscooter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely very eager to see what you've done with this one, subjectzero. Despite some objections to the film - some people thought Roy Scheider was miscast, and the tone was so different - I really liked the film. The Soviet stuff is so out of place now but, having lived through that period, who knew things were going to change so soon? Anyway, looking forward to it!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice edit subjectzero. I left a review on IFDB ;)

XRGM1267

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, subjectzero.

I've seen it and it's great as usual though the HAL lines could be filtered like a radio just like the other HAL lines in 2010. I also want to know what classical music you use for this fanedit.

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review deposited.
Shazam for the music...I'm going to make myself a soundtrack CD for this puppy...

Youtuber

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello,

I would love to see this fanedit; so naturally, the first thing I did was go to the Info site to try to find it there.
However, I did not find a listing for it there.

I then tried to find it on the Info alternative, the Central Database, but I could not seem to find it there either!

Having exhausted those two options, could anyone here please point me in the right direction of where one might find a version of this?
.... and in the highest possible quality, filesize be damned?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello @Youtuber , welcome to the forums. Please click on the link called Trades & Requests Guidelines in my signature. It has all the info you need to find an edit
Also, we do not allow requests to be made outside of the Trades & Requests forum.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've made some modifications to this edit based on viewer feedback! Nothing too drastic for the most part, it's been tweaked to be just that much better. The big changes are:
  • Reinserting Dr. Chandra talking to HAL in its entirety. This is the one scene in the entire movie where the original score will play.
  • The mission report at the beginning has been removed
  • The docking over earth with the Leonov has been redone to match the correct craft (check it out below)
password: fanedit.org

Some of the more minor changes:
  • Added breathing that matches the scene
  • Added the sound back as the Leonov enters Jupiter's atmosphere (although it gets louder as the scene goes on)
  • Used a fan created version of Futura that matches closer to 2001
  • Removed the large monolith as the bridge between the Discovery and Leonov lifts away
  • Moved the title card "20001: Dawn of the Europans" right to the end to mirror the beginning of 2001. Just like Dawn of Man is the first thing you see, Dawn of Europans is the last.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very very interesting! I will have to grab this. I love 2010, I agree it does not get the love it deserves since it stands in the massive shadow of 2001. I had a project that I abandoned years ago combining 2001 and 2010, perhaps this is enough to inspire me to take another swing at it.

Looking forward to it!

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very very interesting! I will have to grab this. I love 2010, I agree it does not get the love it deserves since it stands in the massive shadow of 2001. I had a project that I abandoned years ago combining 2001 and 2010, perhaps this is enough to inspire me to take another swing at it.

Looking forward to it!
Actually, I do have an edit that tacks my 2010 fan edit onto 2001. The only minor changes to 2001 are the opening credit (now called simply "The Space Odyssey"), the Starchild returning to Jupiter orbit rather than Earth which helps set up the events of 2010, and sticking the intermission between the two films.

The ONE thing I don't know how to do but would complete this edit is to deepfake Roy Schneider's face on William Sylvester during the 2001 segments.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The ONE thing I don't know how to do but would complete this edit is to deepfake Roy Schneider's face on William Sylvester during the 2001 segments.
Even if you did, the voice would be a dead giveaway. Is there a way to imply they are two different people?

Top Bottom