• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2009 Movie Marathon in San Diego

Taolar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saturday, February 28th from Noon to Midnight

My annual 12 hour movie marathon shows films not commercially available in the US. This includes fan edits, restorations, and films banned or otherwise not officially released.

You and a guest are welcome to come to any or all of the films. Popcorn and soda are plentiful, and pizza will probably show up around 5:30. But feel free to show up just to hang out too. Eve will probably be pouring shots in another room.

This year the theme is 70's films.

Theatre Location:
Chuck's House (email for address)
Featuring:
9 foot wide projection screen
5.1 sound system
Sofa-style stadium seating

THE SCHEDULE:

12:00 - GEEK's CHOICE NOON SHOW
The noon show is only for true Geeks. It consists of three choices. Whatever the majority wants to see is what's played. This is the only moment of democracy that I allow at my marathon, so you better frick'n enjoy it.

Your three choices are:

1. STAR WARS: REVISITED by Adywan
TYPE: Fan Special Edition
QUALITY: Dual Layer DVD
LENGTH: 2hr 7min

This is the special edition of Star Wars: A New Hope that Industrial Light and Magic should have made, but didn't. This is an amazing fan made version of the first Star Wars movie that fixes special effects and continuity errors, including bringing the lightsaber duel and Deathstar battle closer to the level of action found in the later, higher budget films. The end result is a professional quality move that makes you feel like you're watching Star Wars for the first time. This is the same movie I played last year at my Star Wars movie marathon, but higher quality.

2. STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL
TYPE: Aired Once/Commercially Unreleased
QUALITY: DVD from Broadcast Master
LENGTH: 1hr 37min

This is the television special that George Lucas regrets making, and has refused to release after its original broadcast in 1978. All the main actors from Star Wars except Alec Guiness make an appearance, but the majority of the show focuses on Chewbacca's family, Malla, Itchy and Lumpy. Yes, I said Itchy and Lumpy. It's so bad, that not even guest appearances by Art Carney, Harvey Korman, Beatrice Arthur and musical performance by Jefferson Starship can save it. You've been warned.

3. MUSIC TRIPLE FEATURE
TOTAL LENGTH: 2hr

* CRACKED ACTOR
TYPE: Aired Once in Britian/Commercially unreleased
QUALITY: Bootleg

This BBC documentary film about the pop star David Bowie was filmed in 1974, when Bowie at the height of his popularity and commercial success. At the time he was also a cocaine addict and the documentary has become notorious for showing Bowie's fragile mental state during this period. I'm not sure why it was never released, although I'm sure Bowie is glad.

* SUPERSTAR: THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY
TYPE: Legal Issues prevent commercial release
QUALITY: VHS Bootleg

The film makers could never get the rights to the music, so this comedic biopic filmed with Barbies will probably never see a legal release in any form.

* 2001: A Space Odyssey with soundtrack by Pink Floyd
TYPE: Audio Sync
QUALITY: DVD9

Stanley Kubrick originally wanted to use Pink Floyd's futuristic sound to accompany this movie, and rumor has it they scored the movie, but when Kubrick asked them to remove the vocals, they refused. 2001 was released in 1968 with a classical music soundtrack. In 1971 Pink Floyd released their album Meddle, with it's final track being the 23 minute track "Echoes". The final segment of 2001 is a 23 minute trip beyond our solar system. When the two are played together they form a perfect sync of onscreen action to music. Coincidence? Smoke it if you got it.

2:15pm - THE CUBE (1969)
TYPE: Aired Twice/Commercially unreleased
QUALITY: VHS
LENGTH: 1hr

This experimental telefilm by Jim Henson (well before he did the Muppets) is like a Twilight Zone episode on shrooms. A man is trapped in a cube. He doesn't know how he got there, and doesn't know how to get out. This as the inspiration for the 90's sci-fi/horror film of the same name.

3:30pm - PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL, 1980 Concert
TYPE: Never shown/Commercially unreleased
QUALITY: VHS Bootleg Video, CD Quality Audio
LENGTH: 2hrs

Created at great expense to the band, this is the only official film record of a concert that was performed in just six cities worldwide. It was the biggest concert show of the time from the biggest rock band of the time, of the biggest concept album of all time.

Perfectionist John Waters won't allow its release. It sits in his basement collecting dust.

Luckily a VHS tape was smuggled out. This is a copy of a copy... of a copy. The audio has been upgraded by syncing a CD of the Live Album recorded at the same location in 1980. This includes songs not included on the album, and the intended longer versions of some songs that were shortened to fit the original album.

6pm - SUPERMAN: SON OF JOREL by Taolar
TYPE: Fan Edit
QUALITY: Dual Layer DVD
LENGTH: 3hrs

This is the latest version of the fan edit I've been working on in my spare time for almost three years. I've edited the first two Superman films into one movie, removed about 90 minutes of the corny, campy and unneccessary, while also subtly fixing visual effects, and "modernizing" the pace of just about every action scene. What's left is a tight action movie, with some of the best acting seen in any superhero movie.

9:30pm - MAD MAGAZINE ANIMATED SPECIAL
TYPE: Never aired/Commercially unreleased
QUALITY: VHS Dub
LENGTH: 22min

The rumor is that some executive commissioned Mad to do a special, but apparently not familiar with the satire and tone of their humor, deemed it too crude and adult, and had it pulled off the schedule. The tone was very close to that of the magazine at the time: irreverent, offbeat, satirical, and timely. Overseen by the magazine's editorial staff, the skits feature many of the classic characters from the magazine, such as Don Martin's long-chinned, buggy-eyed characters and the Spy Vs. Spy routines, as well as satirical bits about early 70's pop culture.

"MIDNIGHT SHOW"
WARNING: My Midnight Shows often depict images and/or themes not appropriate for the squeemish, prudish, or wimpy. If you are one of these, get out now. Run fast! I am not responsible for nightmares, emotional scarring, or pee'd pants. Consider yourself warned.

10pm - COCKSUCKER BLUES
TYPE: Legal Issues prevent commercial release
QUALITY: VHS Bootleg
Length: 1hr 49mins

Named after a Rolling Stones song that the record studio wouldn't let them release, Cocksucker Blues is the documentary of their 1972 American tour, filmed not long after an Altamont concert goer was killed when the show's security was a battalion of Hell's Angels.

Their album, Exile on Main Street, eschewed the tight production of preceding albums, and let the band rip. This lax attitude carried through on Cocksucker Blues, as the camera went backstage, in airplanes and hotel rooms to espy all the indiscriminate sex, drug use and inebriated ramblings of the Stones and their entourage.

Reportedly after a private screening of the film, Mick turned to the director and said "It's a fucking good film, Robert, but if it shows in America we'll never be allowed in the country again."

While Jagger might have feared the film's lurid and potentially incriminating images -- what Mick probably found most disturbing was the bleak and accurate portrait of the obvious despair and loneliness of life on the road. Frank's obsession with pursuing truth destroyed the illusion of glamour for the world's most famous rock and roll band.

The Stones took director Robert Frank to court to prevent the film's distribution. Because of a bizarre court order, this documentary legally cannot be shown more than once a year, and not unless the director (now a 84 year old recluse living in Nova Scotia) is present at the screening.

Come enjoy the shows!

Top Bottom