• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2001: A Space Odyssey - The Abridged Cut

Silentpete

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2001-abridged-front-38-1362713171.jpg

Fanedit Name: 2001: A Space Odyssey - The Abridged Cut
Faneditor Names: Silentpete & Livinginoblivion
Original Movie Title: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Fanedit Type: FanFix

Original Release Date: 1968
Original Running Time: 141 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: March 2013
Fanedit Running Time: 84 minutes
Time Cut: 57 minutes

Brief Synopsis:
This is an abridged version of Stanley Kubrick's 2001.

Intention:
My brother and I decided to take a stab at crafting a slimmed down version of 2001, a version that retains the essential plot and characters elements, while removing the longer stretches of tone poem elements that the film is known for. Our hope here was to create a slimmed down version of 2001, not rework the film to change any of its original intent. This cut was made with the utmost respect for its director and his intent. The cuts themselves range from large sequences cut down to small bits and pieces removed. The film has been reduced to 1 hour and 24 minutes, and we feel the film, plot, and characters are completely intact, and that a faster, more energetic film has been created.

Release Information:
NTSC DVD5
MP4 (SD)

Cover Art
2001_abridged_3Dview.jpg

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice! Always wanted to see a shorter version of 2001 (although I have no problem with the original). Looking forward to watching this.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watch Space Consecution. ;)

livinginoblivion

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit has been uploaded to Mediafire. DLCs have been submitted to Info. You can PM me or SilentPete if you want to view.

Cactus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great to see someone else do this. My edit was basically all done - I think there were a few stray frames to edit possibly - but then an HD crash deleted all of it and it's gone. Will check your version to compare our visions!

(btw, if anyone has the last test version I did, contact me)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cactus said:
Great to see someone else do this. My edit was basically all done - I think there were a few stray frames to edit possibly - but then an HD crash deleted all of it and it's gone. Will check your version to compare our visions!

(btw, if anyone has the last test version I did, contact me)

I wish I had saved it. :-( It was very good, and ready to go save for a few minor technical issues (cuts moving around a few frames because of a source substitution). Unless this version is almost exactly like it, I hope you get to recreate and release your version.

Cactus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I skimmed this yesterday when I had some time left, and it's very satisfying. I only spent about 20 minutes on it so far, but it's very similar to my own lost 2001 edit. Even though mine was even 8 minutes shorter, this is still a very good job and perfect for anyone who wants to see the film but is - like me - way too restless to sit through the original.

Question for Silentpete & Livinginoblivion though: Did you at any point speed up the film? I ran most space travels and moving machinery at double speed.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! Look forward to checking it out. I haven't yet seen a 2001 edit that worked for me. Maybe this will be the one!

Bummer its not HD though. The re-mastered 2001 BD is quite breathtaking looking. Fun to fall asleep to. ;-)

livinginoblivion

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cactus said:
I skimmed this yesterday when I had some time left, and it's very satisfying. I only spent about 20 minutes on it so far, but it's very similar to my own lost 2001 edit. Even though mine was even 8 minutes shorter, this is still a very good job and perfect for anyone who wants to see the film but is - like me - way too restless to sit through the original.

Question for Silentpete & Livinginoblivion though: Did you at any point speed up the film? I ran most space travels and moving machinery at double speed.

Yes we did in fact speed up some of the scenes in space. For example some of the shots of the scene when Bowman retrieves Poole in his pod were speed up to quicken the pace of the scene. But mostly everything else was left in tact throughout the film.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review: *WARNING SPOILERS*

It's been a looooong time since I've watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. I remember the first time I watched it was my sophomore year in college. I watched the DVD on my computer. I remember going "WTF?!" and (this was still back in the days when people used AIM) I put up an away message that said "Anyone who has watched 2001, please explain to me wtf it is about!"

Well I've rewatched it several times since then. I appreciate it and understand it a bit more. I'd say I have a pretty good attention span and sometimes actually find action sequences in movies boring! But I still always feel that some parts drag on in the movie. Most notably the Dawn of Man section.

So with that in mind, I just finished watching the Abridged Cut. This is a very good firstling. As I said, its been awhile since I've seen the original so for the most part I couldn't tell what had been cut. But I was aware that stuff was missing (and I have to say I was a little disappointed that the iconic jogging/shadow boxing scene was cut). So it is a bit difficult for me to judge the visual editing but there were no flash frames or harsh cuts that I noticed. Audio editing was good as well (and this is something a lot of editors have trouble with, firstlings, veterans etc., myself included).

This is definitely a faster-paced cut of 2001, and while definitely not a replacement, if I ever feel like watching 2001 but not wanting to kill 2 and a half hours, I'll be watching the abridged cut.

I watched the SD mp4, audio and visual quality seemed good.

So job well done to Livinginoblivion and Silentpete!

(I also posted the review on ifdb)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dang. First post out of the gate, and you've already got a fan edit that you didn't need to ask for help with, and it's getting good reviews!

In other words, you're making the rest of us look bad. Knock it off! :D:p

All kidding aside, I'm very impressed at your capabilities. It looks like we have a new major contributor to the fan editing community, and I'm excited to see your continued input!

livinginoblivion

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Working on getting the links back up. Hopefully, we'll at least of the mp4 available soon.

Silentpete

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I wish it could have been in high definition also. The Blu ray looks fantastic. I just don't have the hardware to do it.

RedTrueBlue

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched this one also. It was great! I am still learning the ins and outs of editing, but this edit seemed to understand the concepts of pacing and tone. I really enjoyed the new version of this classic.

livinginoblivion

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RedTrueBlue said:
I just watched this one also. It was great! I am still learning the ins and outs of editing, but this edit seemed to understand the concepts of pacing and tone. I really enjoyed the new version of this classic.

Thanks!

Top Bottom