• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2.0 to 5.1

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there any "way to go" software to convert 2.0 audio into 5.1, or should I just google options and play around until I get satisfying results?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Editing and exporting 5.1 sound without a fancy set-up is not that hard, really. It's what I do, and seems to come out okay. (You've stated your entirely respectable reasons for not doing so, of course. Just being a bit tongue in cheek here ;) ).

The difficulty comes when one wants to do a bit of music replacement and your music track is 2.0 but the movie is 5.1. When I had to do that, I just split the 2.0 in left and right channels and then put it twice in my timeline (once for front left and right, and a quieter one for rear left and right, giving up the center and surround channels) trying to get the volumes as approximate as I can. But if there is some kind of software to do a convincing 5.1 conversion for these cases, I'd love to try it!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's what I've always done, Dwight. And add the music as mono to the center channel, quieter.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This software does exactly what you’re asking about and saves countless hours from manually assembling surround music track by track:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This software does exactly what you’re asking about and saves countless hours from manually assembling surround music track by track:

For what I see, that is a plugin. What I'm not sure is for what...

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s a VST audio plugin used in an NLE that automatically converts a 2.0 track to 5.1. Great for quickly processing new musical scores. In limited cases it can also take a 2.0 track from a deleted scene and isolate the proper elements into the different channels including dialogue and or foley into the center channel.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried it in Adobe Audition (trial version after hours of figuring out the license thing) and couldn't get it to work. A window for the plugin opened that had the controls of the lower part out of reach and couldn't make the window smaller to get to them. Oh, well... I tried...

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried it in Adobe Audition (trial version after hours of figuring out the license thing) and couldn't get it to work. A window for the plugin opened that had the controls of the lower part out of reach and couldn't make the window smaller to get to them. Oh, well... I tried...
It is strange because I have the HALO Upmix and it works on my Adobe Audition.
Do you use Mac or Windows?

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That’s a shame because Adobe is known for working well with just about all plugins.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is strange because I have the HALO Upmix and it works on my Adobe Audition.
Do you use Mac or Windows?
Windows 10. I don't know if it's a configuration thing or my machine is just not powerful enough. Well... I needed it for something minor anyway, so I did it manually.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Windows 10. I don't know if it's a configuration thing or my machine is just not powerful enough. Well... I needed it for something minor anyway, so I did it manually.
It could be the configuration. Anyway, you did it manually, so that is great.

Top Bottom