• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

1999: A Short Odyssey

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
6711_871463472870989_2948084101934869080_n.png

Fanedit Name: "1999: A Short Odyssey"
Faneditor: Ken Poirier
Fanedit Type: Special Projects
Genre: Sci-Fi, Music, Animation
Tagline: The universe began with a whisper, not a bang.

Original Movie Title: "2001: A Space Odyssey"
Original Release Date: 1968
IMDB:
tt0062622
Fanedit Release Date: May 2014

Original Running Time: 2h28m minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 24m minutes
Time Cut: 2h04m minutes

Brief Summary:

An ancient and unseen alien race uses a device with the appearance of a large crystalline monolith to investigate worlds all across the galaxy. In the year 1999, Dr. Heywood Floyd travels to Clavius Base on the Moon. Upon his arrival, Floyd attends a meeting. A lead scientist explains that they have found a magnetic disturbance in Tycho, one of the Moon's craters, designated Tycho Magnetic Anomaly One, or TMA-1. An excavation of the area has revealed a large black slab.

Intention:

A short film to demo/Test an after effects technique I call "Ralpherizing" (named after Ralph Bakshi). Designed to give the film a 1970's Rotoscoped look, similar to the movies Wizards and Lord of the Rings. Additionally the segment has been shortened from 55 minutes in the original film to 24 minutes.

Intended as a Prelude to a longer piece "2001: First Odyssey" and "2010: Second Odyssey". 1999:ASO is made from a VHS widescreen version of 2001 and the artifact on the video was terrible (res < 300 h-lines), but I wanted to test Ralpherizing the video under worst case conditions. I wont be attempting the other two films until I can get a Blue Ray setup that will also include a much larger HDD.

Additional Notes:

Music:

"Life on Mars, Space Oddity" by David Bowie
"Rocket Man" Performed by William Shatner

What I learned about the Process is that when you have a bitrate < 10Mb things quickly begin to degrade in After Effects Processing, Particularly things like film grain that have a randomization and threshold values. They love to grab on to those compression squares and just make love to them. :) Which is why you need the high Res and the wide bitrate. I was able to mask most of it by reducing the gamma level.

"Ralpherizing" Awesome! I spent many hours trying to convert footage into a Heavy Metal/Bakshi style. That looks closer than anything I managed.

Oh cool. Gonna have to check this out.

TM2YC said:
"Ralpherizing" Awesome! I spent many hours trying to convert footage into a Heavy Metal/Bakshi style. That looks closer than anything I managed.

If I ever get some decent screen screen capture software, I'll do a demo on how to do it. Does anyone know if something in the adobe suite has screen capture? maybe camera capture?

I did several different variations of Ralpherized scenes in Terminal 12, so you can see how it looks in Standard Definition when it comes out.

So, Probably already on the forums somewhere, But I cam across this Google deep-dreaming version of 2001 which was pretty cool and not far from my own edit. I've downloaded the Deep=dreaming software and I'm going to play around with it, (maybe for terminal 12?)

[video=youtube_share;tbTJH8aPl60]

addiesin said:
Gives me a headache..

Same here. At least it doesn't stutter like the Bakshized version did.

Man... Where are the Japanese Battle Seizes Robot fans when you need 'em?

Back
Top Bottom