• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

10 Best Movie Fan Edits Of All Time? Probably Not.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was Googling as you do on fanedits and found this article. Don't follow the website just wanted the list. Here are the 10 best movies of all time according to Jack Pooley of whatculture.com Updated: May 4th, 2021. Who is Jack Pooley? I don't know.

10. Harmy's Despecialized Edition (Star Wars)
9. The Matrix Revolutions Decoded
8. J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit - The Maple Edit
7. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me – Teresa Banks & The Last Seven Days Of Laura Palmer
6. Terminator 3: The Coming Storm
5. Batman Forever: Red Book Edition
4. Star Wars Episode I.I: The Phantom Edit
3. Silent Hill: Restless Dreams
2. Pulp Empire
1. Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux

Thoughts? I've only seen The Phantom Edit on the list. I want to see the Cardinal Cut, but have not heard of the Maple Edit. I want to hear what veterans around here think of the list. Full of shit? The website itself seems cringe but just wanna hear thoughts about the list and what you have seen on it.

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very good ones on that list. I wholeheartedly agree on the top spot. Spicediver's Dune is my favorite fanfix of all time.

Though I suppose the Phantom Edit is only there for its historical importance. It was groundbreaking back then and pretty much what started the phenomenon, but it has since been far surpassed by about any other Episode I edits (my favorite is still L8wrtr's).

Also, no Adywan?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
10. Harmy's Despecialized Edition (Star Wars)

This one's great effort and one of two versions of original Star Wars I watch on regular basis, but I consider it to be fan-restoration, not fanedit.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one's great effort and one of two versions of original Star Wars I watch on regular basis, but I consider it to be fan-restoration, not fanedit.
I recently was able to get the Despecialized versions and look forward to watching them.

I figured the list was good but not sure if it was perfectly on-point. what is?

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that Adywan should be on the list, as his Star Wars is a breath of new life in an old film that was great to begin with, but everyone has probably watched WAY too many times.

Personally, I think one of the best fanedits in my top ten is Howard the Duck: Unplucked. Why? Because it salvaged a film I wanted to like but generally despised. Now it's a fun romp. The improvement on the effects shots is worthy of a top ten spot.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pulp Empire is pretty amazing. There are definitely newer fanedits that are more inventive or technically better, but I feel like they should have to stand the test of time before making it onto a Best Of... list.
Personally, TM2YC's Episode I Reborn edit is my favorite SW edit of all time. Though the Revisited edits are close seconds.
From #3 on down, I've seen most of them and they have a lot of good points. But they aren't edits I've saved copies of. There are other edits that did a better job of redeeming movies I was iffy on, like Rocky V- 80s Remix or The Postman- Expedited Edition. And there are edits that did a great job adding in a variety of material and tweaking what was already there to make a fantastic film even more fantastic. RoccondilRinon's Scott Pilgrim edit comes to mind, as well as Bobson's Spider-Man 2.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pulp Empire is pretty amazing. There are definitely newer fanedits that are more inventive or technically better, but I feel like they should have to stand the test of time before making it onto a Best Of... list.
Personally, TM2YC's Episode I Reborn edit is my favorite SW edit of all time. Though the Revisited edits are close seconds.
From #3 on down, I've seen most of them and they have a lot of good points. But they aren't edits I've saved copies of. There are other edits that did a better job of redeeming movies I was iffy on, like Rocky V- 80s Remix or The Postman- Expedited Edition. And there are edits that did a great job adding in a variety of material and tweaking what was already there to make a fantastic film even more fantastic. RoccondilRinon's Scott Pilgrim edit comes to mind, as well as Bobson's Spider-Man 2.
you guys are helping me add to my fanedit queue. great insights and points of reference.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some good ones there, but also obvious ones. None of my favourites are on that list, some of which I may as well give honourable mentions (no particular order):

Dracula: Restored - Billy Batson
The Sukaiwaka Fortress - SSJ (criminally underrated)
Empire Strikes Back: Revisited - Adywan
Paradise - Job Willins (just an incredibly well-executed, non-linear 2-in-1 fan-fix. Marvelous)
Star Wars - Silent Edition: Episode VII - TMBTM

I also reckon Milkman Conspiracy's Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Value-Sized Version) and LastSurvivor's Phase IV: The Evolution Cut could find their way onto my favourites one day. Frink's The Ridiculous Menace is also side-splitting and one of the best things to have come out of prequels fanedits.

Last edited:

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From what I can remember, IT: The Cinematic Cut by @Conrad MacIntyre is probably my favourite edit of all time.
That one was very, very solid.

For my money, one of the best fanedits I ever watched was Jaws: The Sharksploitation edit. The hilariously over the top nature of it was amazing and I loved seeing one of my favorite films with such a massively different tone and style.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some good ones there, but also obvious ones. None of my favourites are on that list, some of which I may as well give honourable mentions (no particular order):

Dracula: Restored - Billy Batson
The Sukaiwaka Fortress - SSJ (criminally underrated)
Empire Strikes Back: Revisited - Adywan
Paradise - Job Willins (just an incredibly well-executed, non-linear 2-in-1 fan-fix. Marvelous)
Star Wars - Silent Edition: Episode VII - TMBTM

I also reckon Milkman Conspiracy's Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Value-Sized Version) and LastSurvivor's Phase IV: The Evolution Cut could find their way onto my favourites one day. Frink's The Ridiculous Menace is also side-splitting and one of the best things to have come out of prequels fanedits.

Aww no love for the sequel?

I kid. Thanks for the shout out.

CAL0901

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coming from a very limited scope of viewing, i.e. Star Wars and Superman fan edits, I too am surprised that Adywan, and a few others weren't listed. Then again, with the myriad of fan edits it is terribly unfair to limit a near exhaustive list to just ten.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking back at this thread, I realize recognizing the best edits is a subjective endeavor. Should it be unbiased by personal opinion? My list is certainly biased by how I was affected by the edits and not chosen by a general mass opinion.

In no real order except for the first two being my all-time favorites. The first is the reason I got into fanedits.

Northwest Passage by @Q2
If you had told me it was possible to take two seasons of the greatest television show ever aired and trim them down to one long movie, I would not have believed you. Absolutely amazing!

Split Unbreakable Glass by@Wraith
This is a remarkable achievement in narrative restructuring. After repeated viewings, I'm still blown away by the technical prowess that was involved in creating this amazing edit. I learn some new connection within the multiple layers interweaving multiple stories each time I watch it. Everyone who truly appreciates editing needs to see this. A masterpiece.

American Gangster Two Tales by@L8wrtr
I love gangster movies. I loved this movie. @L8wrtr completely restructured the narrative to make it an even better movie. Certainly my favorite gangster fanedit. Smooth as butter.

Blade Runner Penultimate by@TM2YC
The definitive version of one of my three favorite movies of all time. A masterpiece that makes the original pale in comparison. Enough said.

Dune Alternative Edition Redux by@spicediver
Is there any better example of saving a movie by means of a fanedit?

The Mercedes Killer by@maniac
An amazing achievement. A series that made me fall asleep made into a movie that blew my mind. VERY VERY twisted and disturbing. A master of his craft.

Harmys Despecialized Editions
Obvious reasons.

Adywan's Revisited Versions
I fell in love with IV & V all over again.

Game of Thrones Edits by@Andreas
An amazing mash-up of two great fantasy series and condensed down to a bearable length, as well. The first two are masterpieces in editing.

Night of Samhain by@LastSurvivor
Another amazing achievement in editing and structuring. Those two movies shouldn't have worked together but in his hands they became an awesome movie. My favorite Halloween edit or Halloween movie, for that matter. Right with the original 1978.

Paradise by@jobwillins
Another masterpiece in which two movies were edited together to take the story arc in a slightly different direction.

Should be at the top of anyone's list:

Everything? by@Hal9000
Dude has serious vision. Always quality edits.

Harry Potter Edits@JJPotter
Extended editions done almost perfect.

And the rare impossible to find edit:

I saw it once a long time ago and lost it in a computer crash.

Red Dragon Manhunter Edition by@boon23

The definitive version of Red Dragon. The way it should have been released.

Last edited:

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't think of 10 off the top of my head, but my favorites so far have been

Age of Ultron - Extended Edition by samspider3
Highlander: The Black Knight by Revstevens
Paradise by JobWillins
Aquaman: De-Marvelized Edition by DriggyDriggs
Howard the Duck: RePlucked by 1stBILLED
and
Halloween: 10 Years of Terror by Ryantology

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't think of 10 off the top of my head, but my favorites so far have been

Age of Ultron - Extended Edition by samspider3
Highlander: The Black Knight by Revstevens
Paradise by JobWillins
Aquaman: De-Marvelized Edition by DriggyDriggs
Howard the Duck: RePlucked by 1stBILLED
and
Halloween: 10 Years of Terror by Ryantology
Thanks for the shout out and I’m really glad you loved my Halloween edit! It’s awesome to make someone’s top ten.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have not viewed enough fanedits to really weigh in on top 10 ever, but I can say it always bothers me to see Phantom Edit on a list of BEST edits. If you're making a list of the most historical, or most important, then you place Phantom Edit at the top of that list, it's probably the single most important fanedit of all time.

And I'm not saying mine deserves to be top ten (but I appreciate @Dwight Fry 's plug) but with all of the variations on Episode 1 that have been made (and will continue to be made) Phantom Edit is far from the best of even Phantom Menace edits, let alone all edits.

I will say though that I fully endorse Pulp Empire in the top 10 (totally disregarding my previous comment) because it's stark raving brilliant. I love edits which take already excellent films and just explore what can be done creatively/artistically.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have not viewed enough fanedits to really weigh in on top 10 ever, but I can say it always bothers me to see Phantom Edit on a list of BEST edits. If you're making a list of the most historical, or most important, then you place Phantom Edit at the top of that list, it's probably the single most important fanedit of all time.

And I'm not saying mine deserves to be top ten (but I appreciate @Dwight Fry 's plug) but with all of the variations on Episode 1 that have been made (and will continue to be made) Phantom Edit is far from the best of even Phantom Menace edits, let alone all edits.

I will say though that I fully endorse Pulp Empire in the top 10 (totally disregarding my previous comment) because it's stark raving brilliant. I love edits which take already excellent films and just explore what can be done creatively/artistically.
I would agree with asterixsmeagol, if I was a fan of the prequel trilogy, or a more dedicated Star Wars fan in general, Yours would rank at the top or equal with one other. And I agree that Pulp Empire is genius. I really like fanedits that can add a new aspect to what is already there. Perhaps shine a brighter light on a facet that I may not have considered. American Gangster Two Tales does that. You see the characters in a brighter light. I also like when an editor can take hours of footage and condense it down to a few rocket speed hours without losing the story. Northwest Passage by Q2 and Mercedes Killer by Maniac do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom