If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

What is your favorite DVD-ripper?
I really hate everything I've been using so far. Either it's drop frames, bad archiving, annoying buy me or bloatware. I like MKV but I end up editing in MP4 because I use adobe. My biggest issue are those compression squares that show up in the black of the frame.

What do you guys suggest/use? Why do you like it? any other tips and tricks welcome!
dvdfab

are you sure ripping is the issue? ripping doesn't generally result in either of those file formats.
I use DVDshrink. I then pop the main features .ifo (not VOB!) in to Vegas. 90% of the time, it's flawlessly imported as lossless 24p video. Usually need to convert AC3 audio with besweet to play well, though. In the rare case that Vegas won't play well with the .ifo, I run the VOBS (as one virtual file) through Virtualdub.
matrixgrindhouse Wrote:I use DVDshrink. I then pop the main features .ifo (not VOB!) in to Vegas. 90% of the time, it's flawlessly imported as lossless 24p video. Usually need to convert AC3 audio with besweet to play well, though. In the rare case that Vegas won't play well with the .ifo, I run the VOBS (as one virtual file) through Virtualdub.

Like I said, I'm using Adobe, not vegas. IFO is not supported. But I was able to drop the VOB into the project. Is there something bad about using VOB I should know about? You put it in bold with an exclamation. It kind of seems like my best solution right now.
Moved to tech forum.
I use dvd decrypter and handbrake for most DVDs. People say its dated, I say it works. :-)

Dvdfab is the way to go tho, its pretty much the standard right now - short of a hardware solution.

But even then, digital rights management compatible devices, connections, and TVs are going to stop hardware recording in its tracks.

I ran into this at work a few months ago.

As soon as physical media is eliminated and streaming is the only solution, I don't see how fan editing will be able to continue..... :-(
My ripper is still the classic - now banned - combo of

RipIt4Me
FixVTS
DVD Decrypter

When that fails, I go Fab.
Copy protection ain't what it used to be since studios are shifting consumers to streaming.
Ken Poirier Wrote:Like I said, I'm using Adobe, not vegas. IFO is not supported. But I was able to drop the VOB into the project. Is there something bad about using VOB I should know about? You put it in bold with an exclamation. It kind of seems like my best solution right now.

Are you a mac user?
TV's Frink Wrote:Are you a mac user?

No. PC user. I have been using MakeMkv (the best I've used so far) and Freemake (which I'm not super happy with).

PS. Thanks for moving, I often do a crit miss on the forum picking.
Apparently the drop frames is due to Adobe Premiere's import. Apparently the fix is to change the extension name from .mp4 to .mov and it fixes it. very bizarre. Still have a problem with squares in my blacks which may be from my output compression. Using h.264 so, I dunno.