• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is your favorite DVD-ripper?

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hate everything I've been using so far. Either it's drop frames, bad archiving, annoying buy me or bloatware. I like MKV but I end up editing in MP4 because I use adobe. My biggest issue are those compression squares that show up in the black of the frame.

What do you guys suggest/use? Why do you like it? any other tips and tricks welcome!

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dvdfab

are you sure ripping is the issue? ripping doesn't generally result in either of those file formats.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use DVDshrink. I then pop the main features .ifo (not VOB!) in to Vegas. 90% of the time, it's flawlessly imported as lossless 24p video. Usually need to convert AC3 audio with besweet to play well, though. In the rare case that Vegas won't play well with the .ifo, I run the VOBS (as one virtual file) through Virtualdub.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
I use DVDshrink. I then pop the main features .ifo (not VOB!) in to Vegas. 90% of the time, it's flawlessly imported as lossless 24p video. Usually need to convert AC3 audio with besweet to play well, though. In the rare case that Vegas won't play well with the .ifo, I run the VOBS (as one virtual file) through Virtualdub.

Like I said, I'm using Adobe, not vegas. IFO is not supported. But I was able to drop the VOB into the project. Is there something bad about using VOB I should know about? You put it in bold with an exclamation. It kind of seems like my best solution right now.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moved to tech forum.

wayne.workman2012

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use dvd decrypter and handbrake for most DVDs. People say its dated, I say it works. :)

Dvdfab is the way to go tho, its pretty much the standard right now - short of a hardware solution.

But even then, digital rights management compatible devices, connections, and TVs are going to stop hardware recording in its tracks.

I ran into this at work a few months ago.

As soon as physical media is eliminated and streaming is the only solution, I don't see how fan editing will be able to continue..... :-(

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My ripper is still the classic - now banned - combo of

RipIt4Me
FixVTS
DVD Decrypter

When that fails, I go Fab.
Copy protection ain't what it used to be since studios are shifting consumers to streaming.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
Like I said, I'm using Adobe, not vegas. IFO is not supported. But I was able to drop the VOB into the project. Is there something bad about using VOB I should know about? You put it in bold with an exclamation. It kind of seems like my best solution right now.

Are you a mac user?

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Are you a mac user?

No. PC user. I have been using MakeMkv (the best I've used so far) and Freemake (which I'm not super happy with).

PS. Thanks for moving, I often do a crit miss on the forum picking.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently the drop frames is due to Adobe Premiere's import. Apparently the fix is to change the extension name from .mp4 to .mov and it fixes it. very bizarre. Still have a problem with squares in my blacks which may be from my output compression. Using h.264 so, I dunno.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I swear by DVDFab. The 8 blu rays i ripped, came out perfect, in 8gb sized flavors. And they still look like in watching an actual blu ray disc. Plus, when you use them in Vegas (or whatever program you're using), if rendered correct, the quality is nothing short of superb. I had loads of difficulty ages ago trying to rip dvds for editing, but as soon as i moved to blu ray, the ripping process became easier lol.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like [MENTION=9767]JetSetWilly[/MENTION] , I swear by DVDfab as well. I combine that with tsMuxer and VirtualDub/AviSynth to get a lossless .avi file for editing, and either BeSweet or tranzcode to get workable audio files. I also work in Vegas, and this combo has never failed me.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dvdfab, then dvdshrink, then vlc media player, then dvddecrypter.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
Is there something bad about using VOB I should know about? You put it in bold with an exclamation. It kind of seems like my best solution right now.

I'm not Matrixgrindhouse, but if I may share from my own experience:

I used VOB when I first started coming here. I thought it was helping me, but I had all kinds of headaches and glitches. Those glitches seemed unrelated to the type of file I was using, but when I stopped using VOB, those problems went away.

I still have a lot of struggles with my rudimentary software and lack of budget, but at least I don't have the VOB problems anymore. I'm glad that people here steered me away from it.

Just my 0.02 :)

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
my rudimentary software and lack of budget,

This interests me. I don't want to hijack this thread but could you expand a bit. I'm just getting started and also lack a budget.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad that someone's taken an interest, even if there may not be that much to tell. :)

When I first started coming to this forum regularly ('11?), I was out of work, so my question was always about where to find freeware that would help me achieve my fan editing goals.

I'm having a brain fart about what program I use for the ripping, so I'll have to get back to you about that. (I'm at work, so I can't check right now.)

I used Any Video Converter for the, um, converting. I used Corel VideoStudio Pro (a free version at first? I don't remember) for the actual editing.

Apparently it's possible to keep using DVD Fab (at least some functions) for free even after the trial has ended, but I get tired of not being able to use all the functions, and tired of that software yelling at me for not using the paid version. I use it sometimes, but I still use AVC a lot, too.

Last year, when I finally had some money, I invested in the full version of Corel VideoStudio. I have some training in Sony Vegas, and it's definitely the superior tool, but 1) I could get the full version of Corel for $80, which was in my price range, and 2) I've been using it so long now that I'm very comfortable with knowing how to make it do the things I want to do. I've already forgotten a lot of the things I learned in Vegas.

Since the thread is about what type of software we all use, I don't think these comments are too far off-topic. :) Anyway, my story isn't prescription for everyone, just telling my own experience!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I spent $80 on Vegas Platinum Suite (includes DVD Architect) and use freeware for everything else. Seems to be working fine.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tom - Thanks for the info.

Frink - Is the Vegas you purchased Movie Studio or Pro?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoops, Studio. Pro runs several hundred dollars more, but you can do most of the same things with Studio.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Whoops, Studio. Pro runs several hundred dollars more, but you can do most of the same things with Studio.

Thanks. What do you think the limitations are when compared to Pro?

Also, what kind of prices are you guys paying for DVDFab?

Top Bottom