• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IFDB Review: Star Wars - Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched this the other night. My impression:It's a mess of a movie-edit and yet it is brilliant at the same time!First of all, it's simply awesome to make a parody out of "Phantom Menace", the movie is pretty bad, so why not make it at least funny?Great idea and I'm open to parodies if they are well made like "Naked gun" or "Airplane".I think the key to a good parody is that it has heart and a comedy at its core. Most parodies fail because at its core there is no believable and relatable character and story.You can't just cram one funny scene after the other and expect it all to work together. But this edit does just that:Every scene is made to be funny, every frame really, and that's why it's a mess. The problem is that it doesn't gel as a whole.So I can understand some of the harsh reviews, scenes are repeated too much to cause laughter, audio is not very smooth... But even though it's a mess, it's also brilliant because some (not all, about half) of the ideas and humour, and there's a boat loads of it, are spot on and really make you laugh hard:SPOILER-ALERT1. Those trade-people always saying "Now there are two of them"2. That Samuel Jackson, I mean Mace Windu, is constantly beeped out, the bad motherf...(shut your mouth).3. That all the robots are talking dirty. In fact I wished they were more frivolous and I wished Mace Windu claimed to have written once a speech-code for the android's (no pun intended) operating system...4. That Anakin despite having lost the race before he could start his engines nonetheless tries to complete the race alone, with that song "Going the distance" playing, pure brilliance!5. That it was made look like Qui-Gon Jinn desires Anakin's mother, haha! But why did he decide then to take Anakin with him instead of her?6. That Obi Wan misaimed his jump and came down the other side, haha!7. That Qui-Gon Jinn wants to communicate with Obi Wan and then doesn't, great!SPOILER-ALERT-ENDSo there's a lot to laugh and love in this edit, but it could be better if it was reedited to get rid of those jokes that didn't work, or gel the story and characters better.. there's a real gem here, but it needs polishing, to make all those funny jokes and good ideas work together as a movie with a comedy-heart at its core.Still, kudos to TV's frink! I laughed quite a few times real hard and felt entertained.P.S.: At the end I was surprised by the credits, seems like half of this fanediting-community were involved in this edit.P.P.S.: Oh, just read in TV-Frink's signature, that there is a sequel to this, great: "Now there are two of them"

More...

Top Bottom