• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A few reviews

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let’s Get Lost - 1988 - 7/10

After watching the well meaning, but sweetened portrayal of Chet Baker, I dug out this blunt alternative.
The face and soul of chronic addiction, shot in stark black n white.

LetsLost%201988.jpg

Difficult, at times abrasive, biography of the prince of Cool.
Flashbacks, old photos, new performances.
Plenty of “candid” answers and ruminations from Mr Baker.
Counterbalanced with corrections from producers, fellow sidemen and the women in his life.
Women, meaning his mother, one of his wives, his daughter, two girlfriends.
Terrific film of a horribly flawed man, but genuinely gifted musician.

Confession, I''m a big fan of Chet Baker.  I have close to sixty recordings and I'm still buying titles of his.
A haunting artist of despair and regret, especially in his mature years, but as a human, a right piece of work

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Weinberg - 2015 - 7/10
AKA - The Valley

Weinberg%202015.jpg

A man revives underneath a dead girl, bleeding him awake.
He stumbles into the village, alerts the authorities, who find -- no body.
The next day he sees the same girl, very much alive, wearing the harvest princess outfit.
Alive just for the day, until night.  Until darkness gathers and the wraith.

bfCqv7A.gif

Our protagonist, a drifter with amnesia, is in the middle of a history of murders.
The remote village is a haunted landscape of mist, autumnal decay, and buried secrets.
Part horror, part mystery, more than anything - for lack of a better word - weird.
With every scandal unearthed, corruption revealed, sin exposed, the adversary exalts.
Imaginative, six-part Gothic labyrinth from Germany.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have the Key - 1972 - 6/10
AKA - Il Tuo Vizio è Una Stanza Chiusa e Solo io ne ho la Chiave

YourVice%201972.jpg

Kinky, sleazy, degenerate, incestuous, oft times confusing, but what the hey?
An entertaining Giallo with plenty of twists and slashings to please cult fans.
Washed up, philandering alcoholic writer holes up in his inherited manor house.
He entertains homeless hippies, humiliates his downbeat wife, and chases tail when not suffering whisky dick.
When some of his paramours are split open with a hook knife, locale polizia zero in on him.
Out of the blue, his niece (the succulent Edwige Fenech) arrives and shares the velvet spasm with eager comers.
There are like five plots going on, but you will be transfixed by the nudity, rompings, gore, dirt bike races, and a contrary black cat named Satan who knows more than his human counterparts.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Run All Night - 2015 - 5/10

RunNight%202015.jpg

Non-demanding action buffs, score this higher, though long time viewers of Liam Neeson might shake their heads.
Sad sack, ex-mob enforcer learns family is targeted for deadly retribution.
What to do?  Mob family or blood family?
Do his old skills kick in?  How will he fare against thugs bigger, younger, quicker?
Clichéd, derivative script borrows heavily from The Road To Perdition.
Run - fight - chase - fight - hide - fight - run - fight .....
Actor Common memorable as cool headed professional hitman, everyone else coasts.
Better than Taken 2, better than Walk Among Tombstones, but still ...
Why does Neeson appear to be following the path of Nicolas Cage?

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Suntan - 2016 - 6/10

Suntan%20-%202016.jpg

The inversion of “coming of age” story.
During Christmas, Kostis arrives on small Greek island as the new doctor.
The village is sleepy, with 800 residents and he is mostly to himself.
With summer, the population explodes with sun loving turistas.
Kostis treats an injured young girl, and gradually becomes obsessed with her.
His overweight, extremely pale self shows at the nude beach where she and her friends loll nude.
He splashes into pool parties, dances at the raves, drinks, neglects the medical clinic.
Sadly, not an implausible tale, and older viewers can predict how Kostis will fare.
Full frontal nudity throughout.

The old guy at the club is a common, annoying presence.
In my clubbin’ days, I saw 40ish guys, shirts deeply unbuttoned, exposing a thick patch of gray or silver chest hair.
When I was older, I worked with similar aged souls (male and female) who continued to chase and flirt with twenty year olds.  We mocked them, but they always saw themselves in the looking glass, forever young.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sex And Sensibility:  The Allure Of Art Nouveau - 2012 - 7/10

Nouveau%20-%202012.jpg

Fine three part documentary on the Art Nouveau period.
Paris - England - Vienna.  Lalique, Mucha, Beardsley, Klimt ...
Host Stephen Smith shifts between droll and skeptical, presenting well known icons and half forgotten masterpieces.
It is remarkable how many buildings and interiors survive, especially in light of two world wars and the public losing interest in the style by the 1910s.
There was a resurgence of interest with the counter-culture 60s and it has been with us since.
Not essential viewing, but superior to never-ending dramatic fare.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Our Kind of Traitor (2016)

o2i.jpg

An ordinary British couple (Ewan McGregor and Naomie Harris) gets caught up in a scheme to launder Russian Mafia money through a new City of London bank. Strong performances, ultra-sleek photography and contemporary relevance elevate somewhat pedestrian John le Carré story.

B+

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

hacksaw0003.jpg

A terrific film about a truly great American. I much preferred it to Saving Private Ryan, which, apart from its Normandy sequence, is fairly naff, IMO. Worth noting that director Mel Gibson actually omitted what was arguably Doss' most dramatic act of self-sacrifice, leading to his lifelong injuries - I'd object, but then, I suspect Doss himself would have approved!

A-

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
images

Jonathan Shannon (Ryan Phillippe) gives his 17-year-old daughter Clare (Joey King) an old music box that promises to grant its owner seven wishes. Skeptical at first, Clare becomes seduced by its dark powers when her life starts to radically improve with each wish. Everything seems perfect until she realizes that every wish she makes causes the people who are closest to her to die in violent and elaborate ways.

not bad for a pg13 movie. The kills in the movie play out like they did in the final destination movies,a bit of a slow start and the usual highschool sterotypes but once it gets the movie establishes the do's and donts the kills come thick and fast.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anna Lee - 1995 - 5/10

Anna%20Lee%20-%201995.jpg

Rubbish.
Short lived, silly mini series, perhaps most noticeable for its cancellation cause.
The stories were based on Liza Cody’s popular novels, who so hated the series quit writing them!
Anna is hired by an elite detective agency and she works a variety of, well - five, cases.
Thought a mid-90s series, the look is very 80s, and the mysteries are altogether lightweight.
The actress playing Lee never finds her character, as she seems to play her differently from one episode to another.
The actors playing agency personnel shift about, as do the agency’s fortunes.
Not quite a “love to hate” show, but limp and better for types who will watch anything.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
images

[font=arial, sans-serif]After the murder of his father, young Arthur's power-hungry uncle Vortigern seizes control of the crown. Robbed of his birthright, he grows up the hard way in the back alleys of the city, not knowing who he truly is. When fate leads him to pull the Excalibur sword from stone, Arthur embraces his tru[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]e destiny to become a legendary fighter and leader.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Umm where can i start .The movie starts like a scene from "300" with giant cgi creatures . then 10minutes into the movie the cast start talking cockney and the movie starts to feel like a  "lock stock and two smoking barrels" or "snatch "sequel. it even has david beckham in it in a small cameo role.there are quite a few slow motion fight scenes but the rest of the movie is more of a power struggle between sibling families. [/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif] worth a one time watch.[/font]

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
images

[font=arial, sans-serif]In the future, a strange fungus has changed nearly everyone into a thoughtless, flesh-eating monster. When a scientist and a teacher find a girl who seems to be immune to the fungus, they all begin a journey to save humanity.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]When i first heard of this movie i was hoping it was going to roughly follow of the hit game "the last of us" with fungus infected zombies and a war scorn planet with patches of human resistance fighting boldly to the last. but then i watched it and my hopes faded.this movie is more like a "28 days later" sequel but without the blood.i mean the zombies are fast and react a lot like "world war z" zombies but the story follows a infected girl who can control the zombies(never fully shows you why or how she can)and a team of expendable army/scientist envoy as they try to get from point a to point b. movie would have been more enjoyable with r rating [/font]

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gazza said:
[font=arial, sans-serif](never fully shows you why or how she can)[/font]
Seemed pretty clear to me.
She was infected in the womb, like all the other kids, so she is something different, which is why they were studying them. And then she proved that some humanity remained, and this was the next step of evolution. She never controlled the zombies, they simply ignored her because she was infected.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DSM2337 said:
gazza said:
[font=arial, sans-serif](never fully shows you why or how she can)[/font]
Seemed pretty clear to me.
She was infected in the womb, like all the other kids, so she is something different, which is why they were studying them. And then she proved that some humanity remained, and this was the next step of evolution. She never controlled the zombies, they simply ignored her because she was infected.

my mind must have wandered somewhere during those 5 minutes of exposition haha.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clara Bow: Hollywood's Lost Screen Goddess - 2012 - 6/10

Clara.gif

Unnecessary, redundant documentary on one of the Silent Era’s greatest actors.
Clara’s life is presented in more or less chronological order, though accompanying clips do bounce around.
For example, while commenting on her mid-Paramount career, work from her 30s period might be shown.
Not a real sin, and probably not noticeable by any except Clara enthusiasts.
Talking heads include Joel Stenn (Bow’s biographer) and Leonard Maltin.
Also neighbors from her final years, as well as her daughter-in-law.
Here’s the thing.  Stenn and Maltin were also part of 1999‘s Clara Bow: Discovering the It Girl, a better documentary.  Her son, Rex Bell Jr, was among the interviewees, rather than her daughter-in-law.
Still, if this is all you can locate, it should be a good introduction.
Her movies, by the way, are hit n miss.  You watch them strictly to see Bow's expressive face.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paris Can Wait - 2016 - 6/10

Paris%202016.jpg

Fantasy time here, or prime date flick for more seasoned females.
Wife, married to workaholic husband, opts to drive to Paris with his colleague rather than fly.
The colleague is obsessed with fine food, choice restaurants, exquisite hotels, and appreciating life.
The journey, initially half a day, stretches into three days.
Along the way, the couple converse, disclose secrets, study choices.
Weather is ideal, scenery is gorgeous, and the pair have lots of money to spend.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who Killed Cock Robin? - 2017 - 6/10
AKA - Mu ji Zhe // 目擊者

WhoCock%202017.jpg

Neo-Noir from Taiwan works slowly, but is hard to disengage from.
High flying journalist, taken down a notch, suffers a car crash.
When he takes the car to be repaired, he is told the vehicle had been in a previous wreck.
The reporter has a flashback to an incident a decade earlier - an accident he had witnessed.
With persistent digging, he begins unearthing one version after another.
An uneasy tale that steps straight into darkness, before jumping into the pit.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saving Banksy - 2017 - 6/10

Story of the homeless rat, though with Banksy referenced, nothing is that simple.
In 2010, Mr Banksy visited San Francisco and left behind a fair number of street art.
Most of which were tagged over or painted over

Banksy%202017.jpg

The rat, painted high over Haight Street, abided, though City Hall demanded removal.
Allow one graffiti artist and numbers will swell like cockroaches on fertility pills.
A Banksy admirer and do-gooder saved the rodent by taking it down (at his own expense) and storing it in his closet for a few years.
While fame sky rocketed and inane rich collectors and predatory middle men sniffed the collectible cheese.
Street art - street art - remind yourself - only street art.  Graffiti.
Nonetheless, the wine n cheese, desperate to appear cultured, babble and soil themselves.
Irritatingly funny - you will shake your head.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zimmer 13 - 1964 - 6/10
AKA - Room 13

Zimmer%201964.jpg

London’s top private eye is hired by a member of Parliament after a shady character from his past comes calling.
At its root, this is a caper film.  An old fashioned train robbery.
Being a German Krimi, however, there are dozens of subplots and distractions.
Straight off, a serial killer is murdering fräuleins - excuse me, British lovelies.
Numerous shenanigans occur at the High & Low Club, which is a glorified striptease parlor.
This is where our ace detective takes evening dates, by the way.
Not to worry, one of the exotic dancers is a female cop.  How do we know?  Because she wears regulation Scotland Yard underwear.  I suppose Bobbies for boo - ... well, maybe I shouldn’t go there.
Pedestrian plot elevated by a nice jazz score, zippy pace, comic touches.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Luck Key - 2016 - 6/10

Luck%20Key%202016.jpg

Polished Korean hitman suffers an accident and suffers amnesia.
A young, shiftless indebted actor seizes the opportunity and switches identity papers.
Gradually, he realizes the noose he has put himself into.
The better - funnier - story follows the assassin who thinks he is an actor.
He has the superior work ethic, but he is a clueless actor, nonetheless.
Until he is cast in a crime drama where his ingrained skills rise to the fore.
Viewers do not need to be familiar with K-dramas to laugh at this.
Be warned, since this does spoof K-dramas, there will be romance.
But no tears - rejoice!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flames Of Love - 1967 - 7/10
AKA - Jôen // The Affair // 情炎

Joen%201967.jpg

Moody drama of young woman chastising her widowed mother’s scandalous behaviour.
Her mother led affairs with lower class men, took to drink, and was run over by a truck.
Now the daughter, unhappily married, sees a similar path, darkly beckoning, in comparison with her faithless, businessman husband and meaningless home life.
A slow film, with compositions immaculate and imaginative.  
Fascinating to watch her question those around her, and in so doing, question herself.
Her choices are extremely limited, and no matter how open minded men declare themselves, few are.
Arresting sound mix, as well.  A perky instrumental balanced with stark silence or musique concrète.

Top Bottom