• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A few reviews

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DOCTOR STRANGE 1978
MV5BYjUyMjI2ZjctNGViNy00YzEzLWJkMWMtMDc0MGY2YTY2Mjk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDM2MzU3Njc@._V1_.jpg

Watched this today.... weird stuff! Even by 1970s standards.

Plot is very similar to the theatrical, an all powerful extra-dimensional entity sends an evil sorcerer to kill the Ancient One so it can conquer the Earth.   This time the evil sorcerer is a sorceress, Morgana LeFey, played by Jessica Walter (Arrested Development), who I swear must be immortal in real life as she looks exactly the same!!!   

And as in the theatrical, the Ancient One is white.  This time played by John Mills, giving the role a very Merlin vibe.  In fact, the whole production has an Arthurian feel, rather than Eastern mysticism.

Strange is played by Peter Hooten, a charming lady's man psychiatrist.  None of the arrogance associated with the comic character is present.   Not much logical character development, just lots of plot and exposition.  Strange does not appear in costume until the very end of the third act, and again it is very different from the comics.

The production is very plodding, at times feeling like a 70s medical melodrama, since so much time takes place in a hospital setting. Also the soundtrack is very funky.  Ranging from synth John Carpenter horror to over the top soapy.  It is so wacked.  It only makes the soap opera style acting even more cheesy.

At the same time, there is some very dark and demonic imagery.  It is such an odd mix of horror, mystery and drama.   And it yet, I found it amusing and could see much potential in the set up.

So not terrible.  It could have made an interesting tv series.   By comparison to other Marvel tv projects from the 70s, it is better than expected.  Not Incredible Hulk good, but superior to Captain America, and maybe slightly better or equal to Amazing Spider-Man.

Shout Factory did a good job with the restoration.  Overall the picture quality is amazing for a show of this age and there was only one scene with obvious debris.

So if you are curious and enjoy 70s tv, I think it is an enjoyable watch.  :D

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Made In Britain - 1982 - 7/10

Made%20Britain%201982.jpg

Scoring this simply for Tim Roth’s ferocious performance.
He plays a high school skinhead, delinquent, spitting ball of hate and fury.
Because he is a juvenile, social agencies are still trying to guide him.
Like he gives a damn.
He knows there is no future for him because of class, wealth, expectations.
Everyone else is overshadowed by a blistering Roth, in this, his first film.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah powerful stuff.

One of my all-time favourite albums 'Council Estate of Mind' is built around vocal samples from the film...

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Le Capital - 2012 - 6/10

Capital%202012.jpg

Slick financial thriller of high rolling executives.
When the head man of a massive French bank takes ill, he appoints a temporary boss.
His experience is limited and circling sharks eye him as chum.
Worse, a wealthy American hedge fund buys controlling interest in the bank, then sets up traps.
Unlike similar movies - say Big Short, there is no spoon feeding to viewers.
Maneuvering occurs across continents and conference rooms.
Temp Boss proves a cynical calculator, though there is a love angle, stupid beyond belief.
Root for villains because that is all there is.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If Walls Could Talk: The History Of The Home - 2011 - 6/10

If%20Walls%20Could%20Talk%202011.jpg

Four part documentary by Lucy Worsley focusing on four rooms in the home.
Living room - Bedroom - Bathroom - Kitchen
Evolution from Medieval time to modern age.
Informative, entertaining, full of catch-phrase origins:
“By hook or by crook” - “Walls have ears” - “Burning the candle at both ends” -

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
10 Cloverfield Lane 8/9 outta 10
Cool movie, I like it, though often hard to watch due to John Goodman's character, he fucking nails it so well its unnerving (I can assure to those that have been lucky enough not to have lived with an abuser of that fact). Some apparently have a problem with the ending, I do not, though I would cut all spoken words from the main character from that scene as I feel it would be more realistic and less "its 90s action movie now so: one liners" <- surprised to hear myself say that.

Midnight Special 7 outta 10
Cool movie but for me it misses the mark. Alton is underdeveloped. I often didn't buy the acting during the unspoken moments between characters. They should have used the lovely muscle car longer. Very mumbly sound mix on the dvd, had to use subtitles too many times. At least it was different and I'll be watching it again. Didn't hate it, just feel that there was more potential.

The Hobbit: BOT5A 3 outta 10
Good lord what a mess. I liked it when the huge giant monsters bought the farm. Why was legol... ah forget it!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stumbled upon this hidden gem last night on Netflix...
COHERENCE 
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEceDz1Rodc[/video]

A group of friends together for dinner on the night a comet passes over head.
Cell phones stop working.
No internet.
No power.

Except down the street, one mysterious house seems to be all lit up.
What happens next is mysterious and gripping in the very best of Twilight Zone tradition.

This indépendant sci-fi thriller was shot over 5 nights in a single house and the actors were only give character notes and improvised the story under he guidance of director James Ward Byrkit.  Great stuff!  Highly recommended.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
COHERENCE 
{video}

No internet.
No power.

What happens next is mysterious and gripping in the very best of Twilight Zone tradition.

This indépendant sci-fi thriller was shot over 5 nights in a single house and the actors were only give character notes and improvised the story under he guidance of director James Ward Byrkit.  Great stuff!  Highly recommended.

Oooh, sounds like The Monsters are Due on Maple Street!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Oooh, sounds like The Monsters are Due on Maple Street!

Love that episode!
For this movie, think doppelgängers and overlapping alternate realities.

Honestly, I LOVED this movie.  Never heard of it before.  I went in cold.  And I was riveted.  
Just proves, you don't need 200 million dollars to make a smart, scary and entertaining movie.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
COHERENCE 
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEceDz1Rodc[/video]

No internet.
No power.

Went looking for this tonight on Netflix and couldn't find it

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Went looking for this tonight on Netflix and couldn't find it

Unusual.  Maybe only Netflix Canada currently has it?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
It Follows. (2014)

A try to make a horror movie like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street but at the same time quite actual.
Everything was there for me to like it: creepy mood, very strong and simple idea, very well shot (à la John Carpenter), the young actors/actresses are not amazing but quite all right.
But sadly, after a good first hour the movie falls flat. It is just more and more of the same until an ending without a proper wrap.
Maybe some people will say that it's what makes it good, but to me, if you come with a strong idea you need to end the movie in a proper way or else everything you give to the audience is just a strong idea that leads nowhere.
Too bad because it really could have been a new classic of horror.
I still recomment to watch it because it is a well made movie, but I felt it ran out ideas and it was not that scary either.

I rate it a 7/10 anyway. But it is VERY generous.

Just saw this, and it's making me rethink my bias against horror movies. The sense of dread that suffuses the film comes from that simple and strong premise, and despite a few minor missteps (and one major background issue: how was anybody able to figure out the rules that "it" follows and pass on that information to the characters in this story?), I think the director did a fabulous job of presenting a nightmare scenario.

Well-depicted characters, cinematography that matches the protagonists' need to scan their environs, multiple ways to interpret the movie, a dash of pertinent literary references, a musical score that mostly works, and minimal gore make this movie very watchable.

8.5/10 for me.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Murdered By My Fiance - 2016 - 5/10

Murder%20Fiance%202016.jpg

Slight doc about murder of author Helen Bailey and her dog!
Boyfriend reports to police four days after she disappears.
Despite Bailey being a best selling author, barely any video of her.
Detectives, analysts, neighbors, and the fiance.
Unexplained - why Fido was killed.  Unexplained - relationship.
Why is it “murdered by my fiance"?   As if the dead author produced this.
Find something else to waste an hour.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Les Demoiselles de Rochefort - 1966 - 5/10
AKA - The Young Girls Of Rochefort

Demoiselles%20Rochefort%201966.jpg

Man, what a disappointing howler.
This was followup to The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg.
Seaside village prepares for the end of summer fete, as the French version of carnival arrives.
Looking for love are Catherine Deneuve and her real life sister Françoise Dorléac (who died tragically young that year).
Also on hand, dancing away, are George Chakiris and Gene Kelly.
Dancing is an understatement, the film is almost nonstop choreography.
Numerous songs by Michel Legrand, none truly memorable.
The movie gets exhausting after awhile.  The impression is that everyone tried too hard.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Monster - 2016 - 5/10

Monster%202016.png

Arthouse horror, allegory overlay, mother - daughter issues.
In other words, menfolk - beware.
Dysfunctional, alcoholic, abusive mother drives neglected young daughter to her ex.
They are supposed to depart at 8:00 AM, except hungover Ma doesn’t get rollin’ until 4:00.
Soon as they hit the spooky backroad, rain starts pelting down.
The car strikes a wolf and the subsequent crash means they are stuck.
Before you can say - “Hey, where’d that wolf go?” - the girls realize trouble is mounting.

Acting by the female leads is terrific.  I hated Mom, pitied the small girl.
The pace is too measured to hold interest for most, though.
No backroads I’ve been on ever had streetlamps, let alone three of them.
Plus, after you crash your car, switch off the headlamps and wipers!
I should not have to explain this to sorry drivers unless they want to be future meals.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Katherine Ryan In Trouble - 2016 - 6/10

Kath%20Ryan%202016.png

Standup comedian on relationships, being Canadian in UK, men, family.
Hit n miss, with more hits, but this is chuckle material.
Timed correctly at one hour.  Nothing stale, just not my type of humor.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey V, just wanted to say how much I enjoy browsing this thread and reading your most excellent and succinct reviews. Keep up the good work! :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2017 Oscar Nominated Shorts - Live Action - 2017 - 7/10

Oscar%20Shorts%202017.jpg

Five of ‘em.  Two crowd pleasers, two “serious” works of outsiders in Europe, and one pass.
“Sing” is about a competitive grade school choir.  This will resonate with those who have been in band or choir, especially if you were in the 3rds or in the back rows.
“Silent Nights” follows a refugee in Denmark.  Sent me a mixed message on how to score money from guilty rich.
”Timecode” watches bored security guards dance before surveillance cameras.
“Ennemis Intérieurs”  (Enemies Within) is another story of outsiders.  This time an Algerian, living in France for over 30 years, finally seeks citizenship.  Why wait so long?  And who are your associates?  Claustrophobic, Orwellian.
“La Femme et le TGV” features Jane Birkin as an aging woman exchanging letters with the engineer of the high speed TGV express.  She seems locked in the bygone, analogue age, with her manual typewriter, rotary dial phone, china tea set.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Love Witch - 2016 - 5/10

Warning - Existential oblivion seekers, not this one.

Wish I could say I viewed this by accident or this was airing in rehab.
No.  Reviews mentioned bygone Technicolor productions, and I foolishly hoped for Douglas Sirk excesses.
Admittedly, I do have a taste for over-the-top folly.  This is not “so bad it’s good,” but it veers close.

Love%20Witch%201%202016.jpg

Artist witch moves to Eureka, into posh Victorian manor, to get over issues with her ex.
Like glamour girls everywhere, our attractive witch has trouble pulling guys, so she casts sex magick for bait n mate.
After sessions of heightened debauchery, spent males collapse and die.
Oh, well.  There’s more guys with organic wands where those came from.
And she gets busy.

Love%20Witch%202%202016.jpg

Lush and saturated colours throughout.
Females, wearing gowns and hats, congregate in a fantasy fern bar, nibble cakes and tea, while a harpist plucks.
Our witch sports a hairdo Bobbie Gentry would envy, as well as retro blue eyeshadow which I have not seen since the 70s.  (Car buffs - a 60s Mustang and a big ass 70s Impala stand out amidst boxy modern rides.)
Fair amount of frontal nudity, male and female, mostly during wicca ceremonies.  Chanting, not panting.
More graphic are her sketches and paintings.
Romping and rutting is freaky psychedelic time, drowned with overloaded grind music.
Acting is stilted and wooden across the board.  Characters read lines, never react.
My theory:  There was only one camera, so the director shot actors one at a time, then spliced.
At two hours, this movie is also too long.
I enjoyed, but, I have fondness for cheesy flicks.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inferno (2016)

20885343._SX540_.jpg

Due to mediocre box office (its domestic take was about 60% that of Fences), expect this to be the last of the Howard/Hanks Robert Langdon series. (This flick and its predecessor, Angels & Demons, being Hanks' only live-action sequels to date.) Too wordy and twisty for explosion-hungry teenagers and too goofy for many grown-ups to enjoy unironically.

Myself, I unashamedly like all three of these movies. After all, as a fan of the Fast & Furious franchise, who am I to call myself above a mix of Rick Steeve's Europe and 007? Yes, the stories are beyond ludicrous, but no more so than Skyfall/Spectre, and in times such as these, there's a lot to be said for making an unironic superhero out of a nebbishy Art Histo - sorry, Symbology - professor who even doesn't know how to throw a punch, and for applying cutting-edge special effects towards faking major world landmark location shoots rather than monsters and explosions. I won't say that it's a shame the movie series is ending, necessarily, but I for one am glad it exists at all.

B+

Top Bottom