• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A few reviews

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Exploding Girl - 2009 - 6/10

fv8qk7.jpg

Quiet, chick flick.
Ivy is home on college break. Staying with mom in New York City, hanging with friends, drinking a little.
Phoning her boyfriend.  Repeat . . . phoning her boyfriend.  Again.  And - he - does - not - answer.
When you first hook up, your calls get answered immediately.
Ivy keeps getting his voicemail.  The machine.
Either that or, "Sorry, I can't talk right now."
The women I watched this with shook their heads, recognizing the dump miles before the character did.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All The World’s A Screen - 2016 - 7/10

2meokcg.jpg

This was a fortuitous mistake.  Elsewhere, someone reviewed a Shakespeare doc, narrated by Ian McKellen.
I never found it, though I stumbled upon this documentary and it is excellent.
Film adaptations of the bard’s plays.
Seems to target four or five:  “Hamlet,”  “King Lear,”  “Macbeth,”  “Romeo And Juliet”
Covers Silent era to recent productions, and a fair number of foreign interpretations, Kurosawa’s Ran being the most famous.
Several I never heard of and started hunting.
More mainstream releases are fine intros for novices, the obscure will suit buffs or cinéastes.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hamlet Goes Business - 1987 - 7/10
AKA - Hamlet liikemaailmassa

33ky62t.jpg

Finnish reworking transforms the indecisive prince into a Noir player, as manipulative as he is lethal.
Hamlet’s father is murdered.  The murderer marries Hamlet’s mother, takes over management of the company.
He announces he intends to sell off the shipping and timber divisions, in order to corner the rubber duck market.
You read correct.  That is just one of many alterations.
Stark black n white, loaded with droll comedy, and murders aplenty.

I have seen over a dozen Hamlets.  All are overlong and I find Hamlet himself annoying.
This version runs a concise 87“ and is funny.
Mmmm ... Scandinavian humor might be an acquired taste.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Take Joy: The Magical World Of Tasha Tudor - 1996 - 5/10

szyhjs.jpg

Documentary about the acclaimed childrens illustrator.
I recognized her from an article in the old Victoria magazine, and I must confess I recalled many of the illustrations from childhood books.
Some, such as those for Secret Garden, famous and unforgettable.

2ze02rs.jpg

The film was saccharine sweet, cloying, more perfect than Martha Stewart's wildest fantasies.  
Ms Tudor dressed and determinedly lived in the 1830s.
After awhile, I smelled a rat and checked online to see just how perfect her life had been.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ve...of_vt_author_settle_fight_over_her_2m_estate/

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
All The World’s A Screen - 2016 - 7/10

2meokcg.jpg

This was a fortuitous mistake.  Elsewhere, someone reviewed a Shakespeare doc, narrated by Ian McKellen.
I never found it, though I stumbled upon this documentary and it is excellent.
Film adaptations of the bard’s plays.
Seems to target four or five:  “Hamlet,”  “King Lear,”  “Macbeth,”  “Romeo And Juliet”
Covers Silent era to recent productions, and a fair number of foreign interpretations, Kurosawa’s Ran being the most famous.
Several I never heard of and started hunting.
More mainstream releases are fine intros for novices, the obscure will suit buffs or cinéastes.

in following the source material, many shakespeare-based movies doth talk too much, requiring way more concentration and deciphering of abstrusely constructed lines than i'd prefer. RAN was the exception; it didn't drown me in a dense sea of rapid-fire dialogue.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Concussion - 2015 - 7/10

2uzc58n.png

Pittsburgh coroner realizes connection between gridiron head injuries and cognitive impairment.
Whereas the average soul will ponder ten seconds,  “Bang your skull, brain damage - duh,"
the NFL (National Football League), is not exactly thrilled.
They react much as Big Tobacco did when confronted with evidence equating smoking with cancer.
Will Smith disappears into a multilayered role of embattled, idealistic soul, dealing with
frightening, rabid football fans.  “What!!  You wanna take away our football!!”
Trifle overlong, yet never dull or boring.  Not preachy, either.
A tone of elegy shrouds most of the film, nevertheless.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Broadway Bad - 1933 - 6/10

3466ow7.jpg

Lopsided Pre-Code film starring Joan Blondell.
First half is showgirls in lingerie, risqué humor, nightclubs, rich sharks.
Second half money and lawyers and babies.  Crying babies.
Fun romp takes an unwelcome, preachy detour.
Ginger Rogers costars as loyal friend.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okatsu The Fugitive - 1969 - 6/10

2cpxogk.jpg

Third part of a copycat trilogy.
Expert swordswoman, Okatsu, seeks revenge after murder of her parents (again) and a rape at the hands of the feudal lord.
Plot involves tobacco smuggling and seizing villagers for slave labor.
Carnage at the end, but no gushing geysers, typical of chanbara from that period.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alphaville - 1965 - 7/10
AKA - Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution

24mt5hi.jpg

Secret agent Lemmy Caution arrives in the center of the galaxy, Alphaville, from the Outland.
His mission involves a earlier agent, an Outland scientist, and the calculating Alpha 60.
Though science fiction, and using phrases like inter-galactic, the style is full Noir.
Agent Caution drives up in a Mustang, lights cigarettes with his Zippo, packs a gun, carries a pocket camera.
Men wear trenchcoats or lab coats.  Females have numbers tattooed on their neck and most are classified as seductress third class.

sn1nkh.jpg

Sets are crappy fleabags or sleek, “futuristic” 60s offices.  It is forever night.
Alpha 60, a computer that controls and rules Alphaville, would be HAL 9000‘s wet dream.  ( Surely Kubrick saw this film.)
If you enjoy poetry readings, boy, are you in for a treat!
Assassinations by swimming pool with synchronized swimmers - check.
If you appreciate extensive talkly passages dealing with identity, conformity, ideas, conscience, this is for you!
Noir swerves headlong into Experimental Theatre.  SciFi on a mouse allowance.
Biting satire of films detective - spy - thriller - scifi - romance.  Great mix from Godard.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meet the Patels (2014) - currently on Netflix Streaming

tumblr_o8vqtnUyE91sm1j0ko1_500.jpg

One of the best rom-coms in recent memory is a documentary. Small-time Indian-American actor, born and raised in the States and nearing 30, breaks up with beautiful, ebullient redheaded girlfriend of two years, who he never told his parents about, for unclear reasons - maybe only because she isn't Indian. Hounded by his parents to marry and reproduce, he tries all sorts of Indian matchmaking services, and meets Indian women around the country, in a search for the ideal woman of the correct ethnicity.

The progression of the story follows the classic three-act structure perfectly, almost suspiciously so, but there doesn't appear to be any significant fakery here, and maybe none at all. The humor comes not from the many dates, few of which are seen, but rather from the guy and his co-director/sister's interplay with said parents, the father being particularly hilarious and camera-friendly.

Moral of the story, of course, is men are emotional idiots. If I had a beautiful, ebullient girlfriend of another ethnicity, I wouldn't break up with her without damned good reason.

Oh, and I *am* 30. And, in the past month, my high school girlfriend and the high school girl I was interested in the longest got hitched (though not, sadly, to each other). Here's the former. A year and a half younger, she's an actual adult, it seems:

[image removed by moderator]

Needless to say, my own romantic history is... more limited. Sigh.   

(Still a good movie.)

B+

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude, what the hell is wrong with you?

Image removed.  If you want to post pictures of your ex-girlfriend, find another place to do it.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheri - 2009 - 5/10

cheri.jpg

Michelle Pfeiffer stars as an aging Parisian courtesan (prostitute), who has lengthy affair with the 19 year old son of a rival.
Somewhat based on the novel by Collette, though the book focused on Cheri (the son) while the movie showcases Lea.
Glossy trash.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deep Crimson - 1996 - 7/10
AKA - Profundo Carmesí

2nriud5.jpg

Mexican retelling of the “Lonely Hearts Killers.” *
Low level con man romances widows and spinsters. Steals money, jewels, silver, then slips away.
Most are too embarrassed to report him, so he operates for years.
Until he encounters the large, needy woman.  They link up, cruise Sonora, turn murderous.
Film really captures the abandoned wastelands of the Mexican scrub.
The pair share a sexual passion, exclusive and claustrophobic.
Faithful retelling, though the ending is off.

* Lonely Hearts Killers:  Martha Beck and Raymond Fernandez
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Fernandez_and_Martha_Beck

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beautiful Lies - 2010 - 4/10
AKA - De vrais mensonges

orrvpu.jpg

Forced, unfunny comedy.  Clichéd, gauche.
Male employee writes an anonymous mash letter to his female boss.
She round-files it, only to retrieve it later, copy it word for word, and post to her lovesick mother.
Complications ensue, along with lies, false assumptions, and emotional outbursts.
French misfire that stumbles on many levels.
For a comedy of errors, the pace plods like a drunken penguin.
Main characters are unpleasant and immature.
I could never decide if the director had no respect for women, or none for his audience.
Advertising equates this with Amélie - don’t believe that.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Project Nim - 2011 - 7/10

project_nim_617_347.jpg

In the early 70s, chimp infant Nim was taken from his chimpanzee family and given to a human family.
The concept, backed by Columbia University, was to see if chimpanzees could learn sign language skills.
Absorbing documentary from start to finish.
The family was the wrong choice as they let Nim grow up undisciplined and he developed anti social habits.
Like biting a face off.
Humans drifted in and out of Nim's life, some honestly cared for him, others were disease experimenters.
Says a lot about animal medical testing, and human tendencies to anthropomorphize pets. Dog owners, take note.
Encouraging film for primates everywhere.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yes very good and it made an interesting double-bill with 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate - 2011 - 5/10

2gumvpj.jpg

Remake of Tsui Hark's 1992 classic, Dragon Gate Inn (which itself was a remake).
Powerful eunuchs are obstructed by the rebels.
Swords and arrows converge at Dragon Gate Inn, as do Mongols and a monster sandstorm.
CGI effects are like salt, best used sparingly.
In this modern update, the effects are over the top, distracting, poorly rendered.
What is used sparingly, is Jet Li.  Scant kung fu, much wire work.
Seek out the '92 version with Tony Leung, Brigitte Lin & Maggie Cheung (both radiant), and an ass kicking Donnie Yen.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dark Matter - 2015 - 5/10

5oxxmw.jpg

SciFi programmer that borrows from other, better, series.
Out in the galaxy, six shipmates wake from cryo-sleep, discovering their memories have been wiped.
Not to worry, the interstellar void has the internet.
Soon enough they discover they are wanted mercenaries!
Like all poorly written stereotypes (are they bad souls or good), they squabble, bond, reveal their pasts.
Hey - what about that memory loss?
The ship, the Raza, is spacious, with wide walkways, large quarters (with showers!).
Oh, and ducts, the kind one can crawl around in.  Everyone still uses handguns, too.  Really?
Appears the so-called creators swiped from Firefly, an altogether superior show.
Turkey for very non-demanding souls.  I’ll probably watch season two - spackle brain.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Girl Shy - 1924 - 7/10

Annex%2B-%2BLloyd%252C%2BHarold%2B%2528Girl%2BShy%2529_NRFPT_01.jpg

Black and white, Silent era slapstick.
Funny Harold Lloyd comedy about a shy milquetoast who pens The Secret Of Making Love, even though he is nervous around females.
Jokes cascade furiously, with mishaps and a hair raising run-to-the-altar finale through Los Angeles circa 1923.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dough - 2015 - 6/10

Contrived British comedy of Jewish bakery losing clients to relocation and the Reaper.
The Conservative baker has just lost his assistant to an expanding chain.
In desperation, he hires a young Muslim from Darfur as his apprentice.

2hmg4dx.jpg

Dynamics of old - young, Jewish - Muslim, small shop - big chain. mixed with calculated design.
The apprentice is also a low-level weed dealer who starts adding leaf to the dough.
The sleepy shop revives, though the old guy never notices green flecks in his bagels?!!
Pleasant, feel-good film, lacks believability.  Shot - not in London - but Budapest.

(Includes an intriguing trailer for a doc of Streit’s Matzos which went on my find-list.)

Top Bottom