• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A few reviews

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ginger And Rosa - 2012 - 6/10

2z7lieo.jpg

Arthouse buffs, a new Sally Potter film!
Story of two teenage girls in early 60s England.
Almost the same time as An Education, only G&R was specifically 1962. Pre Swinging London, British Invasion. The look, music (jazz from Cool School), themes, all slightly darker from the flowering future.
The ads are trumpeting the conflicts the friends suffer because of the threat of nuclear annihilation, but that is inaccurate. This is actually a coming of age drama.
Excellent acting all around, and it went pretty quick.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Begin Again - 2014 - 8/10

21mew7d.jpg

Two broken souls meet, help each other stand, then run.
Both are bruised artists, victims of commercialization over integrity.
Keira Knightley plays the dumped girlfriend (and songwriter) of singer boyfriend, who is catching fire.
Mark Ruffalo pitch perfect as music exec, once edgy, once influential, now living in failure.
Exquisite location filming in New York as the two record, guerrilla style, in subway, in Central Park, in alleys.
Music is quite good, by the way. Knightley sings her own. Her voice, somewhere between twee and shoegaze, is well suited to her character and songs.
Not a love story, but a tale of redemption. Great date film, nevertheless.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Predestination - 2014 - 8/10

o7ixae.jpg

High concept, Kafkaesque, puzzle plot, brilliantly executed.
Ethan Hawke plays time traveling, Temporal Agent.
His duties are to stop mass murders, terrorist bombings.
For health reasons, agents can only jump in time so often.
Hawke is near retirement and draws out a potential candidate.
Only the candidate has a history of kinks and twists, and therein hangs the tale.
Based on a story by Robert Heinlein.
The script is flawless, the direction taut and lean. Not a single scene is wasted.
Try to watch without reading too much about this one.
Most reviews will be unable to resist spoilers.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Time to mod yourself Frink? If this had been someone else with a Hasidic Jews comment and someone expressed offence, wouldn't you have stepped in as the mod master? You generally keep it pretty tidy.
I totally see your link to the film, and it may have been funny for those who watched it (or not). But coming in cold - ugh - it seems in bad taste, and I understand Vultural's reaction.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you seen the film?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let me ask another question, maybe I can get an answer to this one. Ever seen The Big Lebowski? If I rated it seven out of eight Nihilists, would that be offensive?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink man, they were offended. Just say "Ok, sorry to offend" and carry on. This is getting off-topic.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'm allowed a little off topic latitude, it's a rare perk in this typically thankless job. Getting offended without proper context is wrong in my book, and I don't appreciate being called out by someone who doesn't seem to understand the context.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who watches the watchmen?

No, I haven't seen the film, but I *wasn't* offended. I just said I can totally understand how that comment could *be* offensive and I totally support Vultural.

(and yes, I don't think seven out of eight nihilists would be particularly appropriate either because it is so easy to misconstrue that statement (and yes I have seen the Big Lebowski))
Why don't you just apologise and move on - that's what you would ask anyone else to do?

PS: You ARE appreciated, and your work may be a bit thankless so THANK YOU FRINK! You *do* keep these forums tidy, poilte focussed and above board. FE is a consistently pleasant place to be and you have taken over from previous mods and continued to do a great job. So thanks man.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hearing you there, Rogue.
Doing my best to ignore the guy and his outraged innocence.
For the record, I did share the review and exchange with friends in Israel.
I'm not Jewish myself, but I wondered if I had initially over-reacted.

I will also concur with many here: Frink usually does a fine job as MOD.
It's a thankless tightrope (I know, I've been one), and FE runs smooth and efficiently because of him.
Members here are courteous, knowledgeable, helpful - which is reflected in the Admin & MODs.

One of my responses phrased it tight.
"If you are black, you can make black jokes.
"If you are Hasidic, you can make Hasidic jokes."

When you ain't in the club, and you're talking about club members, folks might view your words as inappropriate.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh for fuck's sake, it's not a Hasidic joke. It's a way to rate the film that ties back to something in the film, in a way that (in theory) is more interesting than a simple numerical rating.

My next review, for Snowpiercer, will give it seven protein blocks out of eight. Is that a protein block joke?

Oh, and not that it matters one bit in this case, but I'm Jewish. Chew on that for a bit.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
(and yes, I don't think seven out of eight nihilists would be particularly appropriate either because it is so easy to misconstrue that statement (and yes I have seen the Big Lebowski))
Why don't you just apologise and move on - that's what you would ask anyone else to do?

I can't believe you are serious that the Nihilist thing could be considered offensive as well. This whole thing is ludicrous and I'm certainly not apologizing for it.

Having said that, I'm ready to move on.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tell you what . . .
How about we shift this topic elsewhere?
This now seems more a “he said / I meant” dispute. It clutters the thread. And I think the internal conflict upsets members. I value the FE community at large, as well as all the individual members. My intent was never to be provocative or hurt the feelings of members I do value.
So, why not copy and paste your review and humorous ratings score over at neutral IMDB?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935902/
Either in the Reviews or Message Board.
I shall then post my original response.
Then allow the global community of reviewers and fans of Brass Teapot to weigh in.
Decide if the comment is funny or inappropriate.
Afterward, if you desire, delete your original review from FE, and our back n forth. Perhaps delete other comments if those posters agree. Tidy the thread.
I am fine with letting the IMDB global community join the conversation.
Your move.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh..kay... um...
Review: Batman Returns (1992) with Kevin Smith's commentary
Batman_Returns_Teaser.jpg

So its been a while since I watched this, and dusting off my old DVD I finally decided to give it another go, watching it simultaneously with Kevin Smiths feature length commentary from his podcast. I seem to remember giving this movie a lot more credit than it should have, because, as Smith also points out, its quite terrible, for one reason if nothing else-- there's almost No Batman in the movie. Oodles and swaths of screen time are dedicated to the Cat and the Penguin (scenes which I completely forgot) and Batman (in his rare appearances) is either uninteresting or simply Reacting to the other characters.

I'm a big fan of Batman and still like this film, but watching it made me realize Joel Schumacher also deserves a bit of an apology because some scenes in Batman Returns are so ridiculous and cartoonish that there's no denying that Tim Burton is the one who really derailed the Dark Knight midway through this film with terrible subplots, gross mischaracterization (Penguin), overt inapproriate sexual innuendo, characters doing stupid things, focusing on irrelevant secondary characters (Catwoman, Penuin, Max Schrek), cartoonish crap (fighting poodle, penguins arcade car) etc.

There are really good moments tho-- Keaton's first reveal as Batman in the manor is probably (as Smith says) the best in all 7 films, the party dance scene between Selena and Bruce (mirrored in Nolan's TDKR) is good, and any time Batman is in action is worth the watch. But too much drags this film down to the point of mediocrity, a missed opportunity, and worst of all, would set the rest of the series down a path of no return until Batman Begins.

Will probably attempt editing this after I get the Blu Ray in the future and base it on Smith's commentary. Whatever else you think of him, the guy knows his Batman. The commentary itself is quite funny and informative, pointing out the highs and lows of the film and its place in history in relation to the Nolanverse.

Score 2.5/5

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*Sigh* I wasn't going to comment as Frink is...

TV's Frink said:
...ready to move on.

...but since you wouldn't let it lie...

Vultural said:
why not copy and paste your review and humorous ratings score over at neutral IMDB?

Afterward, if you desire, delete your original review from FE

Your move.

Why not??? Why should he take it elsewhere. He didn't say or do anything wrong. It was a humorous rating. You didn't get the joke or the refrence, so ignore it. End of story.

Storm-in-a-Teacup.jpg

...also...

Picking a couple of your own reviews at random from this thread, you've previously said...

Vultural said:
IRA patriots

It sounds like you admire terrorists. I find that deeply offensive.

Vultural said:
Full warning! Female hormonal tornado.

This sounds very sexist and offensive.

Please can you delete both the ^ reviews that contain these words and perhaps post them over on IMDB where I won't have to see them. Thanks.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
Batman Returns with Kevin Smith commentary...

Oh nice, I never even knew Kev Smith did a podcast commentary for it. Did he do one for Batman 89 as well? Which Podcast? Smodcast regular or Hollywood Babble On?

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Oh nice, I never even knew Kev Smith did a podcast commentary for it. Did he do one for Batman 89 as well? Which Podcast? Smodcast regular or Hollywood Babble On?

The Smodcast ones. Yup, Batman one's great too. Here "Sonny Frisco" has put them together to run in time with the movies:

The longer runtime is because there's some post-movie discussion. Its a great critique of the films from someone who loves Batman, highly recommended!

Top Bottom