If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

A few reviews
(08-25-2019, 06:55 PM)bionicbob Wrote: the tv pilot filming.  I want to see that pilot!  I want to see the rest of that story!

Those were beautiful scenes for DiCaprio, when he's describing the book to the girl and struggling to get his performance right.

Fox and His Friends (1975)
'Fox and His Friends' (aka 'Fist-Right of Freedom' aka 'The Right of the Strongest') is written by and starring West-German Director Rainer Werner Fassbinder. "Fox" is a sweet, coarse and naive lower-class gay man who wins big on the lottery. He soon becomes acquainted with a circle of middle-class "friends" and starts a relationship with Eugen, the imperious son of a factory owner. Eugen spends Fox's money like there is no tomorrow, constantly derides him for his lack of sophistication and ultimate swindles the trusting Fox, who only wants to please Eugen. Although it's about this central relationship, it's an inherently political story, attacking the bourgeoisie for their lack of morals hidden behind polite manners. Unlike other Directors I could mention, Fassbinder is actually a very fine actor and really makes you feel sympathy for poor Fox. By the way, it was great to see Karlheinz Böhm, star of Michael Powell's 'Peeping Tom' in something else.

A Nicolas Roeg double-bill, both starring Rock musicians...

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)
I've watched parts of this film before but never made it all the way through until today. Nicolas Roeg's 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' is a Sci-Fi vision that's too quirky, visually interesting and intriguing to dislike but I didn't really like it either. Roeg has no time for frivolities like exposition, logic and story development. Each new scene could take place in a different place, in the next hour, day, year, or decade but you are left to work that out for yourself as the scene progresses. David Bowie is of course a perfect casting choice for a strange alien. Every time he is on screen it's fascinating but 50% of the film seemed to be composed of people rolling naked on beds, drinking Gin. I'm sure when the film was made Bowie's 'Thomas Jerome Newton' character was modeled after Howard Hughes but watching it in 2019, it seems to predict the modern tech/media entrepreneurs.

The 40th Anniversary 4K-scanned blu-ray looks spectacular, apart from the last shot that plays under the credits, which drops down to DVD upscale quality for some reason.

Fanedit wise, I'd love to see a more Bowie focused edit that replaced the soundtrack with instrumentals from 'Low' and similar period albums (which may or may not have featured outtakes from Bowie's abandoned score). This guy on youtube re-scored the opening and added foley. It works wonderfully:

Bad Timing (1980)
Despite Nicolas Roeg's 'Bad Timing' often being acclaimed by critics now, I'd read that one Rank Film exec (the studio distributing the film) at the time denounced it as "A sick film, made by sick people, for sick people". I assume they were referring to one of the final scenes, which is extreme and (deliberately) unpleasant. The preceding 2-hours is high-art filmmaking, skillfully weaving a nonlinear flashback/flashforward structure across multiple times/places, that never gets confusing. Fortunately Art Garfunkel's vacant (lack of) acting is ideally suited to his cold borderline-sociopathic psychiatrist character. Theresa Russell plays a chaotic younger woman who becomes the object of his fascination because she must live entirely in the moment, while he desires control of everything. Harvey Keitel is creepily intense as a Cop investigating the couple.

[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
The Terminator (1984)
I re-watched this as part of a T1+T2 double-bill, the first opportunity I've had to see either at the cinema. It's a virtually perfect film, with not a frame, or a word more than is needed. It's the intensity and depth of Michael Biehn's performance that sells the premise, I swear if you'd polygraphed him while the cameras were rolling it would have come back positive that he was actually a soldier from the future. The scale and realism of the FX and action is amazing considering the tiny $6.4 budget, a half, third, or quarter of the money spent on similar Sci-Fi/Action films from 1984. Whatever you think about the cooler blue-ish grade of the 2012 4K transfer, the detail, richness and clarity of the scan is beautiful to look at on a huge screen. I know some have complained about some of the soundFX being changed for the surround mix and I did notice one obvious instance when Kyle wakes from a nightmare and instinctively racks his shotgun, a prominently loud SoundFX from memory, which was quite muted here.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
The older I've got and the more I've watched T1 & T2, the more dissatisfied I've become with this sequel in comparison to the first film. That's not to say I don't love it, it's an action-packed thrill-ride Classic but watching it back-to-back in a Cinema double-bill with T1, the cracks show. The pacing is comparatively loose and undisciplined, the humour is slightly cringey and misjudged in parts and Brad Fiedel's score lacks the flare and aggression of his T1 work. Also this is where the franchise rot set in, with the timeline and plot details of the first film needing to be subtlety twisted to make the sequel work. You forgive it these flaws but it's so damned entertaining. Despite this being a 2D showing we were unsurprisingly screened the latest 2016 3D transfer which looks offensively bad. It's not just that everyone's skin looks smoothed to a distracting degree, it has this strange fibre-glass texture to it, an artifact of the 2d to 3D to 2D process no doubt. Everybody involved with this transfer should be hunted by a cyborg from the future Wink .

Far from wetting my appetite for the forthcoming 'Dark Fate', as I'm sure it's intended, this double-bill re-release has instead entirely slaked my thirst for time-traveling robots. Unless certain online reviewers I trust give it a glowing write up, I'm not going to bother seeing it and will just pretended this franchise died in the foundry.
[+] 2 users Like TM2YC's post
(08-17-2019, 06:28 PM)TM2YC Wrote: Apocalypse Now (1979)
[...] Watching this new intermediate 40th Anniversary 3hr 'Final Cut' in a theater was not good. The French plantation dinner party sequence (first introduced in 'Redux') is retained, a scene that kills the momentum of the film dead and it never recovers.

Truly puzzling to hear the plantation sequence is in this "Final Cut." So, how is it different from "Redux"?!

(08-30-2019, 03:12 AM)TM2YC Wrote: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Despite this being a 2D showing we were unsurprisingly screened the latest 2016 3D transfer which looks offensively bad. It's not just that everyone's skin looks smoothed to a distracting degree, it has this strange fibre-glass texture to it, an artifact of the 2d to 3D to 2D process no doubt.

Arr, that's annoying, indeed. I'm far from the biggest transfer stickler, but that could well have driven me crazy. Thank goodness for home projectors and our good ol' blu-rays. Tongue
(08-30-2019, 12:21 PM)Gaith Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 06:28 PM)TM2YC Wrote: Apocalypse Now (1979)
[...] Watching this new intermediate 40th Anniversary 3hr 'Final Cut' in a theater was not good. The French plantation dinner party sequence (first introduced in 'Redux') is retained, a scene that kills the momentum of the film dead and it never recovers.

So, how is it different from "Redux"?!

The scene where the boat crew meet the playmates and the only daytime scene of Kurtz is removed from Redux. I think a few small additions of Brando at the end maybe? I'm not really sure.

(08-30-2019, 12:21 PM)Gaith Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 03:12 AM)TM2YC Wrote: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Despite this being a 2D showing we were unsurprisingly screened the latest 2016 3D transfer which looks offensively bad. It's not just that everyone's skin looks smoothed to a distracting degree, it has this strange fibre-glass texture to it, an artifact of the 2d to 3D to 2D process no doubt.

Thank goodness for... our good ol' blu-rays. Tongue

Except the old blu-ray transfer of T2 looks poor as well.
^ I assume you mean the second, 2009 transfer? Because I have both that and the initial 2006 one, though I haven't actually watched either. I also have a digital copy of the 2009 one, but wonder if they'll replace it with the 3D version transfer. Anyhow, so long as the colors aren't egregiously effed with, as with the Matrix and FotR blus, I'm fairly easily pleased... P
(08-30-2019, 02:46 PM)Gaith Wrote: ^ I assume you mean the second, 2009 transfer? Because I have both that and the initial 2006 one, though I haven't actually watched either. I also have a digital copy of the 2009 one, but wonder if they'll replace it with the 3D version transfer. Anyhow, so long as the colors aren't egregiously effed with, as with the Matrix and FotR blus, I'm fairly easily pleased... P

Those both look near identical colour wise to me, which I assume is the same one I have, the "Skynet Edition" with three branched cuts. The colours are okay-ish but it's showing it's age and looking very soft. The latest "remastered" blu-ray (which I also own) is the same 3D copy I watched. They both have their downsides but you should stick with your copy.

While I was looking for a comparison I found this: https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?d1=11116&c=4415

It shows the soft Skynet transfer and the latest 3D transfer but it also shows a US 2015 Lionsgate blu-ray that looks substantially better than both (especially screenshot 14). Think I'll go looking for a copy of that right now Smile .
(08-30-2019, 03:27 PM)TM2YC Wrote: a US 2015 Lionsgate blu-ray that looks substantially better than both

That's actually the one I've got (along with the initial 2006 release), which I assumed was the same transfer as the 2009 Skynet Edition, as blu-ray.com didn't review it. So, I've got the best one, then! Sweet! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Gaith's post
Dead Ringers (1988)
Jeremy Irons brilliantly plays two disturbed identical-twin gynecologists, with almost imperceptible differences in their character, so you are somehow never in any doubt which he is playing (except when you are supposed to be confused). The split screen FX involving moving cameras is very clever in a pre-CGI age. David Cronenberg's obsession with body-horror and medical fetishism is in full effect and gets really disturbing and icky. I think the film expects you to feel sympathy for the brother's emotional torment but their dreadful behaviour right from the start made that quite difficult.

^this sounds really interesting
Mega Man is best game.