• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

IFDB Review: Witches: The Roald Dahl Cut, The:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Audio/Video Quality: 8/10It's certainly not pristine full HD but it's the best I've seen this looking.Visual Editing: 10/10It was invisible, simple as that.Audio Editing: 10/10Not a note out of place.Narrative: 8/10The reordered stuff was great but the ending didn't quite work for me tonaly. It's a long while since I read the book but I remember it being very celebratory because being a mouse and going on mouse-adventures sounded great. The new ending to this edit doesn't quite pull that off, with a shot of the grandmother crying herself to sleep at the thought of Luke's impending death.The book ending could easily have worked and should have been used but since it isn't... I prefer the original "happy" ending by a very slight margin. However, I like the removal of the daft "good Witch" thing that is part of that original ending. Jane Horrocks is one of Britain's best actors, so all the scenes of her obviously playing full-on-evil, never sat well with the "tacked on" version of her character at the end.Enjoyment: 9/10I loved watching this once again, it was a firm favourite VHS for me and my brother at the time. Ahhhhh 1990, the last time films were made like this, with magical practical effects, horrifying make up and astounding puppetry. Sadly, this would all be done with fake-looking CGI now, as it's quicker, cheaper and takes less effort. I also doubt that a Director would be allowed to make a film as scary or directorially interesting for kids today.

More...

Back
Top Bottom