• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Removing Person from footage

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey So I looked around on the internet, and I found something that might be able help achieve what I want. But I still wanted to ask here and get your suggestions.

Basically I want to remove Anakin from the clone assault on the Jedi Temple in RotS. The three shots of the clones approaching the temple specifically. I was wondering if there were some tips on how to do this well?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'll probably have to go in and rotoscope him out. To do this you'll most likely have to go in frame-by-frame.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
can you give a screengrab of the 3 shots you are referring to? I assume one of them is the following scene:
M4DawHj_zps654ef97d.jpg
Anakin-Skywalker-SW-ep-III-Temple-A_zps5b49afec.jpg

I'll go ahead and proclaim that there is essentially no good way to remove anakin from this scene. Scenes I had like this in my Harry Potter edit, I've just decided to skip.

1. If a character is at the edge of a scene, he can be cropped. He's in the center here, and so huge that a crop would turn 1080p down to worse than 480.

2. If he is in front of a static background, you can sometimes recreate the background in photoshop and actually use the still frame as a mask. This would generally involve taking a screen grab, then using the clone tool and healing brush in photoshop, bringing this back into your editing software, and using a mask so you only use your image over a static non moving part of the clip, and allow whatever other action to happen still proceed.

3. If there is a moving camera, number 2 won't work. You can then try image tracking to move your frame, which can work. Trying to edit frame by frame will end up quite jittery.

Unfortunately, you've got a moving background, moving characters that are sometimes fully visible and sometimes partially hidden, possibly a camera zoom - I think its too much. Even if you could edit a single frame to make it look good, you can't just edit each frame individually, when you play them together it'll be really jittery.

Not sure which other shots you are trying for, but for this one, I really think you may just have to cut it.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So looking again it would be four shots, the two you posted and these two.
4hsbau.jpg
i3iej5.jpg

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Delpheas said:
So looking again it would be four shots, the two you posted and these two.
4hsbau.jpg
i3iej5.jpg

Those two would probably be doable, it'd have to be done frame by frame though, copying the steps and floor before anakin gets there then carefully pasting it over top of anakin but not on top of the troops.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought that would be the case, I just wanted to have my thought process validated before spending hours on it only to fail.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea those last two shouldn't be too tough. The second especially may end up quite easy.

I would not edit frame by frame for these (assuming camera is static, not moving or zooming.)

Screengrab the first frame, use photoshop clone/healing to remove anakin and give yourself a clean middle/right side. Then use that image as a foreground or background mask. You then won't need to edit each frame, just have the mask move or shrink using keyframes. Essentially you can just use a vertical line of separation at the front edge of the clones for that bottom image.

If you want to make it perfect, there may be some touch up work needed frame by frame if there is a little bit of anakin's shadow between the stormtroopers that can be removed, but that may not be worth the time and may not even be noticeable. and you may be able to catch it just with a few more points on your mask instead of a straight line.

top picture probably the same basic procedure, just masking out anakin with the clean frame and having the mask move. This one though there looks you can definitely see anakin between the troopers, so you won't be able to just use a straight line of separation, you'll actually have to zoom in and trace him out a little more, but it shouldn't be too tough to trace him out with a few points on a few keyframes, not every frame.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
can you give a screengrab of the 3 shots you are referring to? I assume one of them is the following scene:

I'll go ahead and proclaim that there is essentially no good way to remove anakin from this scene.

But there's beaucoup BAD ways!! Like pasting Jar Jar's face over Anakin's.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. Implementing now...

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe you could do those last two shots (still difficult, IMO), and make them "slow motion" (with a filter that create additional frames between frames) to cover the lenght of the other more difficult shots (that would be a serious pain in the ass to do... Almost impossible) Not very "Star Warsish", but it could add some importance to the scene.

Another thing would be to play with the music. Finding moments when you can cut the lenght of the difficult shots while still keeping the rhythm. Maybe finding a mix between a little slo-mo and playing with music could be the trick to not have to use the difficult shots.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm replacing the music with the Order 66 track, and mixing in new marching sounds(now timed a LOT better so that the sound is synced with the troopers movement.) So the music won't be a problem. This sequence won't be the opener for the Order 66 assault either. I've moved it to after Obi-Wan is attacked for pacing reasons. Sometime in the next week or two I'll post a WIP video.

Solid11

Reaction score
Trophy Points

2 years ago I did this as a proof of concept in 10 mins... I did the method that RollWave mentions: screengrabbing a clean area and keyframing it to move as Obi and Anakin enter the room. Should be pretty simple - good luck!

MackerelSkyLtd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
M4DawHj_zps654ef97d.jpg
Anakin-Skywalker-SW-ep-III-Temple-A_zps5b49afec.jpg

I'll go ahead and proclaim that there is essentially no good way to remove anakin from this scene.

Challenge Accepted, Captain Rollwave...!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm assuming that the result of this thread is P. Lunchbuddy's plight of the republic edit. Wow! I stood up and walked to the screen when this shot came on. I must have rewound it 4 times. Seamless removal of Anakin. Great job.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven’t checked this thread in a while as my work on fanedits fell off a bit while I was in school. But I’m really glad to see that this is do able! I really want this scene in my ROTS and not having Anakin in it is the only way to make it work.

Top Bottom