If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Star Wars: Turn To The Dark Side - Episode 3.1 edit mixes the prequels
I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. I thought some choices were clever. Others were jarring and threw me out of the attempted narrative. Watto was where I gave up.

I thought the opening worked IF you accepted that there's an Episode before this one where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had an adventure while getting to Naboo, found Anakin who is only a bit younger than when we see him in this film, and ends on a cliffhanger just as they're about to descend to the planet. Then this film starts, and it opens with an action scene.

I thought the Dex scene was a sloppy cut. There's no Jedi Archives scene. Obi-Wan goes directly to Dex for help. Contrary to some reviews, I did not hear the name Jango Fett or Fett mentioned (I was listening for it), so even though it was a bit weak, I could at least follow it. Dex gives Obi-Wan directions to Geonosis where he will find the people who made the dart, and thus when Obi-Wan arrives, he's looking for a bounty hunter. I liked Dooku's denial, and he could be seen to be telling the truth from a certain point of view, because Fett is acting as a bodyguard. It's muddled, but it's no worse than some of the mumbo-jumbo in the official cuts.

The droid factory scene was sloppily cut out. They show the capture, but I think it would have been better to cut from Anakin and Padme going inside to talking with Dooku, a scene which isn't included. This whole part moves very quickly, which is a shame. The duel between Dooku and everyone is cut. Yoda saves the day with the Republic Army (pre-existing), and then it goes into the Geonosis battle and then into the opening battle from Episode 3.

All in all, I'm not impressed so far. The good ideas and storyline are shadowed by the sloppiness in too many other places. This is a decent version 1, but I believe it needs the constructive criticism of some thoughtful people for a version 1.5.
Pondering a Star Wars prequel edit. Episodes Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Cut Ep 1 apart, cut the assassination plot in Ep2 and drop in the invasion plot instead. I think it could be done. The trouble is what you can do with the leftovers.

Messages In This Thread
Star Wars: Turn To The Dark Side - Episode 3.1 edit mixes the prequels - by Dethryl - 10-25-2014, 05:54 PM