• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

IFDB Review: Man Of Steel: Recut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Man of Steel in the theater and while I enjoyed it, I thought it suffered from a few flaws. The first flaw is the opening sequence on Krypton. While interesting, it makes the film take too long to get the main character: The Man of Steel. I saw the movie with my mom who's been a fan of Superman since the original Christopher Reeve films. About 5 minutes into the film she turns to me and asks "Is this the right movie?". The second flaw was the narrative. It tries to deal with too many ideas and it felt somewhat disjointed. The third flaw for me is the action. It goes on for too long. I like a good action film, but world busting action sequence are common in modern films and can only hold my attention for so long. A movie needs to get back to character and story development to keep my interest.So on to Avid's FanEdit of Man of Steel. Technically the edit is great, I only noticed a few abrupt transitions, but otherwise the audio and video is great. The Narrative is improved. Avid does a great job fixing two of my issues with the film with one major edit: Moving the opening sequence on Krypton to the later half of the film. The film begins with Clark Kent immediately and follows his childhood to adult story. This also helps makes the film's story seem less disjointed. Clarke's initial story has nothing to do with Krypton and Civil War. It is mostly about his family and using his powers responsibly. Krypton's story is not told until Clark discovers his heritage. This is great since it sets up the second half of the film. That being said, the sequence still feels too long and moves away from the main character. I would have liked a few more cuts. At one point Zod explains his escape from the phantom zone. If not sure if this would be possible, but it might be interesting to splice in the majority of Zod's rebellion story here instead. My last flaw are the action sequences. Avid4 made a few cuts, but it still goes on too long for my tastes. I would have liked to see a few more cuts. I think it might be possible to remove the first half of the world engine sequence. It seems superfluous as it tries to build tension with the trapped Daily Planet girl. Overall, I think the edit is great and I recommend it. However, the film is still over 2 hours and 10 minutes. I would have liked to see the action and Krypton sequences cut down a bit further.

More...

Back
Top Bottom