• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Computer problem or Internet/browser problem?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a weird problem that started today. When I turned on my laptop and opened up Firefox, the latest version in case it's pertinent, I got a blank page, but the Yahoo logo was present in the tab. I hit the refresh button and the page loaded like it should have originally. I thought it weird but waved it off. Then the next site I visited did the same thing, and the site after that as well. Finally the fourth site, this one, showed up fine. Of the sites I visited after this one most showed up fine, but the occasional one would give me a blank page and then show up fine once I refreshed the page.

I then ran MalwareBytes and it found two toolbars, which I immediately had them remove. Next I ran AVG, but nothing was found. I rebooted my laptop but the issue is still present. I decided to check my desktop, which I rarely use to go online anymore, and the problem was present on it too.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? The only thing I can think of is that a couple of days ago Yahoo! Mail started giving me this pop-down, or whatever that bar is called that pops down at the top of the screen below the tabs, with the following message:

Add Yahoo! (ca-mg6.mail.yahoo.com) as an application for mailto links?

At the end of the bar there's a button labeled "Add Application" and an X next to it to close it. I don't want to add the application so I just ignore the bar. I know this may sound stupid, but could this somehow be causing the problem that I'm now having? I can't imagine what else could be the cause of this, since like I said, it's also occuring on my desktop and I very rarely use it to go online anymore.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
The obvious.
Start Task Manager, study all those processes.
If something looks odd or unfamiliar, hunt it down or query on Google or Yahoo or Startpage.
I remove with Revo (the free version), but there are other tools which I am sure will be suggested.

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

I always do that too, but the amount was the same and I didn't notice anything I didn't recognize.

Does anybody else use Yahoo! Mail as your start page? If so, have you been having the same issue? And are you getting the same pop-down?

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My bride uses Yahoo as her Start Page.
I asked her, and she says she has not seen any of the problems you mentioned.
Like you, she uses a laptop. For what's it's worth, hers is a ten year old Dell with XP.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^And most likely she browses different pr0n and torrent sites than FC does.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
My bride uses Yahoo as her Start Page.
I asked her, and she says she has not seen any of the problems you mentioned.
Like you, she uses a laptop. For what's it's worth, hers is a ten year old Dell with XP.

Does she use Yahoo or Yahoo! Mail as her start page? My laptop is 9 years old and also runs on XP.

Neglify said:
^And most likely she browses different pr0n and torrent sites than FC does.

:lol: Probably not. But what has me perplexed is that this is happening on both my laptop and my desktop. And like I mentioned, I rarely use my desktop to go online. At most I'll check my e-mail, Facebook, and this site on my desktop. So how/why is it that both computers are experiencing the same problem?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
But what has me perplexed is that this is happening on both my laptop and my desktop. And like I mentioned, I rarely use my desktop to go online. At most I'll check my e-mail, Facebook, and this site on my desktop. So how/why is it that both computers are experiencing the same problem?

Gnomes come into your room at night and fuck up your computers. They been doing it to me for years.

GnomeLove2.jpg

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Does she use Yahoo or Yahoo! Mail as her start page? My laptop is 9 years old and also runs on XP.

No. Her Start Page is the regular Yahoo with all the celebrity news and daily newsworthy shite.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
No. Her Start Page is the regular Yahoo with all the celebrity news and daily newsworthy shite.

Does she have a Yahoo! Mail account? If so would you mind asking her to check it to see if she gets the same pop-down bar?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Classic FC thread right here people.

How so? I'm experiencing a perplexing computer issue and I'm looking for help in trying to solve it. How is that classic me?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Explaining takes away from the mystique.

But seriously, the issue at hand sucks. But it's not a huge mystery. Most likely you have some add-on or extension that you need to remove/disable.

http://bit.ly/1m94txd

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not being redirected though. I'm getting a blank page, while the icon for the site appears in the tab, for a lot of sites I visit. I have to refresh the page to get it to load properly. It's completely random though, except for Yahoo! Mail. I may get it on one site but the next time I visit it it loads fine. I've run both MalwareBytes and AVG and they came up empty, except for the two toolbar things MalwareBytes found the first time I scanned it. Restarting my computer didn't help either. And the strangest thing is is that this is happening on both my laptop, which I use everyday, and my desktop, which I may use briefly to go online once in a while. How could the same problem be affecting both machines?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't want to jinx myself, but the problem has gone away. Looks like it may have been a problem with my ISP. The problem was still happening last night when I turned off my laptop before going to bed, but hasn't resurfaced as of yet. I've checked Yahoo! Mail several times, as well as other sites it was occurring on, and not once did I get a blank page with the sites icon in the tab that required me to refresh the page to get it to load properly. Looks like I may have been worried for nothing.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't pay attention to Neg. He is envious that you use Yahoo.
OK, I loaded Yahoo mail - using Explorer - which my bride never does.
Got some ads above bonefide Inbox stuff, also some crap on the left side.
Then loaded Yahoo - using Firefox with AdBlock (which Explorer does not support). No ads, no crap.

Went to my computer, and opened Yahoo mail on Firefox and noticed some promo thing above my Inbox.
I run AdBlock, as well as Noscript (which can be a fucking pain in the ass at times), so I was miffed to see that purple ad.
Your doodad, I did not see.
You are not alone in this plight, though.
Follow for possible solution -

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/994658

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Don't pay attention to Neg. He is envious that you use Yahoo.
OK, I loaded Yahoo mail - using Explorer - which my bride never does.
Got some ads above bonefide Inbox stuff, also some crap on the left side.
Then loaded Yahoo - using Firefox with AdBlock (which Explorer does not support). No ads, no crap.

Went to my computer, and opened Yahoo mail on Firefox and noticed some promo thing above my Inbox.
I run AdBlock, as well as Noscript (which can be a fucking pain in the ass at times), so I was miffed to see that purple ad.
Your doodad, I did not see.
You are not alone in this plight, though.
Follow for possible solution -

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/994658

Interesting that you didn't get the same pop-down that I'm getting since it appears to be affecting a lot of Yahoo! Mail users. I'm also using AdBlock Plus, but not NoScript. The pop-down is annoying, but I can deal with it. All I have to do is click on the X to close it after all. My main concern was the blank page having to be refreshed in order to get it to load properly, which I thought may have been caused by the pop-down, but since that's been cleared up and nobody on the support page you linked to, or the Yahoo! Answers page I found, mentioned it happening to them I'm assuming it was an issue caused by my ISP. I appreciate all your help and willingness to check if you were getting the same problem as I was.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like Yahoo! Mail fixed that pop-down issue, cause I'm not getting it any more.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to hear.

I hope you are not using IE, what with the well publicized hack of that browser.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nope, I'm using Firefox. The only time I use IE is when I go to the library, cause it's the only browser they have.

Top Bottom