If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Dead heat composite ported onto official bluray release
Did you include a credit for yourself on screen? So people watching this 'bonus' version will know who did it?
TM2YC Wrote:Did you include a credit for yourself on screen? So people watching this 'bonus' version will know who did it?

no, this was not done for this particualr edit

Lots of talk with views on both sides of the fence (via on CG) about it being fucked up that they did not give credit and others on the issue of someone charging people to see fan made for non profit work

but since it was a bonus item they are still charging for the main film, and all the other extras they offered with it, not just because of my edit

it also turns out it is a legitimate made disc and that the distro of was licensed by Lakeshore entertainment.
STILL AVAILABLE- only 2 left Fanedit.org skateboards
for skating or decoratvie purposes- shoot me a PM
probably never coming soon:
Taxi Driver in a Damaged Brain, EL Topo: ripping the guts out and
Escape from Doomsday: 2019
I think it's messed up that they didn't credit you but totally cool that they included it. All the content included in your edit is on the disc you purchase anyway (Isn't it?), it's just also included in your different configuration.
TM2YC Wrote:I think it's messed up that they didn't credit you but totally cool that they included it. All the content included in your edit is on the disc you purchase anyway (Isn't it?), it's just also included in your different configuration.

--almost-- I am sure they did not clear the rights for the Norwegian VHS used that provided the extra footage
All in all I think this is pretty cool and I don't see this as being bad for the site, even if it hadn't been legit. We have no control what others do with the work created by site members. If Tranzor had personally been given a fat check by illicit distributors, then we'd have had a problem, but since this apparently is a legit release it's all academic anyhow.

As far as it being 'uncool' that they didn't reach out to Tranz, well, he didn't exactly get permission to do the edit now did he? As faneditors that's part of the deal we make. We use other's work to create something new/different etc.. but if the original owner of the work comes in and says, hrm.. I like how you re-arranged my work, I think I'll include it as part of my next special edition.. well, so be it. None of us got in this for the money, and I'd be damn happy if any of my edits were A) Recognized and complimented by their directors, B) Included as bonus material on any formal/official release. Anything after that would be bonus time.

So.. AWESOME SAUCE Tranzor. Just one more step where fanediting is becoming more accepted.
Well said L8.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
L8wrtr Wrote:As far as it being 'uncool' that they didn't reach out to Tranz, well, he didn't exactly get permission to do the edit now did he? As faneditors that's part of the deal we make. We use other's work to create something new/different etc.. but if the original owner of the work comes in and says, hrm.. I like how you re-arranged my work, I think I'll include it as part of my next special edition.. well, so be it.

the deal goes both ways.

In the US, derivative works are protected by many of the same copyright laws as the original. The original author has no more right to sell the derivative work as the derivative artist has to sell the original.

European laws may be different, i don't know.

I fully acknowledge that the inclusion is super cool. However, its possible (likely) tranzor would have reasonable standing in court if he were upset that his work is being sold.
L8wrtr Wrote:All in all I think this is pretty cool and I don't see this as being bad for the site, even if it hadn't been legit. We have no control what others do with the work created by site members. If Tranzor had personally been given a fat check by illicit distributors, then we'd have had a problem, but since this apparently is a legit release it's all academic anyhow.

As far as it being 'uncool' that they didn't reach out to Tranz, well, he didn't exactly get permission to do the edit now did he? As faneditors that's part of the deal we make. We use other's work to create something new/different etc.. but if the original owner of the work comes in and says, hrm.. I like how you re-arranged my work, I think I'll include it as part of my next special edition.. well, so be it. None of us got in this for the money, and I'd be damn happy if any of my edits were A) Recognized and complimented by their directors, B) Included as bonus material on any formal/official release. Anything after that would be bonus time.

So.. AWESOME SAUCE Tranzor. Just one more step where fanediting is becoming more accepted.

I think you summed it up quite nicely and thank you