• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Thor - The Dark World: Hard Forged Edition

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought it was about time to start a thread on this one, as I've gone beyond just playing around with a few ideas. I didn't dislike 'Thor - The Dark World' but I also didn't think it was without problems. The chief problem is way too much exposition and too much repetition of that exposition. I'll be adding in some but not all of the deleted material and will be cutting much more than I'm adding.

Here is the poster...

Edit almost finished up and onto the rendering and preping stage. Here is the cutlist...

GENERAL CHANGES:

- Removed Odin's spoken prologue and inserted most of it into the library scene (As they are essentially a repeat of the same words)
- Recut opening scene between Loki and Odin to speed it up, remove some of Loki's more lighthearted lines and get to Thor quicker
- Removed incredibly weak Lady Sif love-triangle subplot
- Fixed/Minimised Warriors Three being back in Asgard before they get back continuity error by removing the offending scenes
- Rewrote almost all of the Dark Elves' subtitles to be a little more natural yet a little more grand and poetic (Hopefully) and to better provide vital information
- Removed badly post-dubbed Loki dialogue where possible
- Reordered many scenes in a more logical and easy to follow way, that also hopefully enhances the strength of the narrative.
- Given the film a new 'crowd-pleasing' ending that completes the narrative in a satisfying way (Original ending partially retained as a post-credits scene).
- Added back parts of two deleted scenes and recoloured them to match the rest of the film.

DETAILED CUTLIST:

00.00.00 Added TM2YC Ident.
00.00.42 Removed Odin's spoken prologue and title sequence (Both used later).
00.01.23 Brought Odin's opening line forward so he now speaks as Loki approaches the throne.
00.01.30 Removed Loki's "I really don't see what all the fuss is about" line.
00.01.30 Brought forward a silent reaction shot of Loki.
00.01.46 Removed Loki's "Give or take 5,000 years" line (and smirk).
00.01.54 Removed Odin's "As a child, cast out onto a frozen rock" line as I felt it was overly vindictive and 'Un-Kingly'.
00.02.06 Removed Loki's "It's not that I don't love our little talks, it's just, I don't love them" line.
00.02.36 Added 'Extended Vanaheim' Deleted Scene to show how the battle was going before our hero turns up (First few shots removed to open on the action and recoloured sequence to match it in).
00.02.37 Added new 'Vanaheim' title.
00.06.47 Added 'Thor: The Dark World' title over epic Bifrost intro scene (Chromo keyed out from orginal footage).
00.08.04 Removed Odin's suggestion that Thor should get it on with Lady Sif and the look she gives Thor (Plus it's a continuity error).
00.08.41 Removed 'Celebration' scene as it contained nothing that couldn't be conveyed better with the silent shot of Thor gazing towards the sky (Plus it's another continuity error).
00.11.35 Added in extra layers of car SoundFX.
00.11.37 Removed Jane phoning Eric, Eric nude newsflash and Intern surprise as it's too early to start getting into that subplot.
00.17.39 NEW SUBTITLE - The Aether wakes us, brothers.
00.17.41 NEW SUBTITLE - Again, the Convergence is at hand.
00.17.49 Removed first part of conversation between Thor and Heimdall refrencing the celebration (It was also a minor continuity error).
00.23.46 NEW SUBTITLE - Our people are nought but dust, Algrim,
00.23.50 NEW SUBTITLE - and our past but bitter ashes.
00.23.53 NEW SUBTITLE - Yet we endure and shall be avenged.
00.23.58 NEW SUBTITLE - The Asgardians will suffer no less a fate.
00.24.03 NEW SUBTITLE - call on its power,
00.24.04 NEW SUBTITLE - and return this universe to blessed darkness.
00.26.23 Removed most of Odin's exposition speech in the library and replaced it with the prologue with all of Malakith and Bor's dialogue removed to form a flashback sequence.
00.26.26 Book shot extended.
00.26.44 Removed Algrim's "Malekith, Asgard's forces are upon us" line.
00.27.05 Removed Malekith's "Send in the Kursed!" line.
00.28.17 Removed all prologue dialogue after "...Asgard's army" line and remixed remaining audio and visuals.
00.28.19 Remixed Odin's "He killed them all" line to be louder in the mix to transition out of the prolugue smoothly.
00.28.20 Added in shot of book to slowly fade out of prologue.
00.28.49 NEW SUBTITLE - The time has come my Lord.
00.28.57 NEW SUBTITLE - And you shall be as the stroke of midnight.
00.29.00 NEW SUBTITLE - I am not afraid.
00.29.03 NEW SUBTITLE - To join the ranks of The Kursed,
00.29.06 NEW SUBTITLE - is honour indeed.
00.29.15 NEW SUBTITLE - You will become the inferno,
00.29.18 NEW SUBTITLE - setting the fire that shall engulf our enemies.
00.29.28 NEW SUBTITLE - Burning until the flame consumes your body.
00.29.34 NEW SUBTITLE - Yet not before I have left Asgard but a smouldering ruin.
00.30.27 Removed post-dubbed Loki "Odin continues to bring me new friends, how thoughful" Line and rebuilt soundFX layers and music.
00.32.18 Fixed error where we saw Thor's lips still moving when he wasn't saying anything by removing those frames.
00.36.35 Removed more shots from the weak Lady Sif subplot during the Frigga/Odin chat.
00.47.05 Changed day shot of London skyline to an evening shot to match new scene placement plus added 'London' title.
00.47.09 Brought forward scene of Darcy and the Intern in Jane's flat (Plus all Erik material to form a natural lighthearted break after the funeral).
00.47.55 Brought forward Erik's hospital lecture.
00.48.49 Brought forward scene of Darcy getting Erik out of the Hospital.
00.50.58 Removed scene of Jane having a vision and replaced it with deleted 'Jane Learns About The Aether' scene (Recoloured to match other shots).
00.51.30 Removed middle exposition dialogue and unfinished CGI and instead cut in 3 shots of the Guard's arrival from the theatrical version of the scene.
00.53.42 Removed Odin's odd little chuckle (It just didn't work for me).
00.53.52 Brought forward scene of Thor and Heimdal talking and rescored transition
00.54.15 Rearranged dialogue and recut footage to move Thor's "Malekith will return..." line to the end of the scene to play right into the next scene
00.54.43 Lengthened final shot of Heimdall thinking and rescored transition into next scene
00.54.45 Placed scene of the Dark Elves hovering above Asgard just after Thor's warning that they could would return, so it now confirms his fears.
00.54.52 NEW SUBTITLE - Heal my Lord, heal while Asgard sleeps below us.
00.54.57 NEW SUBTITLE - You will awake to glory, and they to a nightmare.
00.55.02 Rearranged and rescored the opening of the 'night conspiracy' scene. Deleted some dialogue and flashforward shots plus rebuilt soundFX.
00.58.45 Reinserted shot of Jane rubbing her arm back into it's proper place (It had been used in the red vision scene) and recoloured it to match original footage.
00.59.03 Removed another brief shot of the super weak Lady Sif subplot.
01.05.21 NEW SUBTITLE - The army is ready, Lord.
01.05.25 NEW SUBTITLE - Wait.
01.05.27 NEW SUBTITLE - The Aether, it is...
01.05.32 NEW SUBTITLE - It is gone, Algrim.
01.07.14 Removed shot of Thor walking away from Loki so now Loki says "Trust my rage" to Thor's face. This now comes across as both more menacing and more logical, given what is about to happen.
01.07.18 Removed establishing shot of hospital.
01.08.57 Removed Loki's bizarre "You really think I cared about Frigga? About any of you? All I ever wanted was you and Odin dead at my feet!" post-dubbed dialogue and rebuilt SoundFX layers and music.
01.09.00 Removed long shot of Loki walking up to Thor.
01.09.04 Shortened shot of Thor looking over at Jane.
01.09.06 Removed shot of Loki gloating.
01.09.33 NEW SUBTITLE - He was a prisoner of Asgard,
01.09.36 NEW SUBTITLE - and may yet prove of some use.
01.15.08 Gradually faded Loki's skin across the final two shots of his face, into a blueish-grey as he dies.
01.15.17 Loki's eyes now also start fading to red just before he closes them.
01.18.55 Removed scene of Loki coming back to life and pushed it back into a post-credits scene.
01.26.05 Flipped shot of Hogan so he now appears to be correctly looking at the jets (Plus removed last few frames of him looking randomly about)
01.35.02 Rescored final shot of Thor walking off after his final dialogue with Odin (Music continues into new final scene).
01.35.17 Brought forward post-credits scene of Thor returning to Jane to form a new 'crowd-pleasing' ending, that properly completes the film's narrative.
01.35.34 Rescored final moments with 'The Dark World' main triumphant hero theme. Also recut visuals to time with the beats in the music.
01.35.35 Mixed in additional Sound FX.
01.35.45 Added glimmer of sunlight and slow zoom to make the final shot a little more dynamic.
01.35.59 Timed first shot of the animated credits to sync with the new score.
01.37.32 Added a small passage from the 'Lokasenna' music from the soundtrack.
01.37.55 Removed the final painting of Loki on the throne so it fades on Thor.
01.37.56 Added 'Hard Forged Edition' subtitle to mid-credits title and animated it to match the zoom plus extended and faded the title.
01.45.02 Added Loki's ressurection scene as a re-edited post-credits scene, removing the first shot showing his magic and adding a gradual fade-in.
01.45.11 Added fade-in-and-out over shot of Guard/Loki.
01.45.23 Removed Odin and the Guard/Loki mention Thor and the Aether and again added a fade-in-and-out.
01.45.31 Rescored final shot of Loki's face to sound more ominous.
01.45.39 Added a red tint to Loki's eyes and faded them out slightly slower than the face so they linger for a few frames.
01.45.42 Added fade into Marvel logo and 'Thor will return' title.
01.45.56 Added credits for the 'Hard Forged Edition'
01.46.08 Shot of rampaging monster now forms the final-final post-credits shot.

Original Length: 112 Minutes
Time Added: 2 Minutes
Time Removed: 8 Minutes
Fanedit Length: 106 Minutes

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice work i liked how the opening title is used. are you totally removing the original opening scene or moving it to latter on, for me it was one of the best parts of the film.

the humour for me was a little to much especially towards the end, the one thing that i don't like about the thor films and agents of shield is how dumb these so called geniuses can act.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Info posted so far from my ideas thread:

TM2YC said:
On reflection I don't think I'm gonna use any of the deleted material beyond the Vanaheim battle scene I've already included. None of them serve any purpose beyond slowing the film down IMO.

I did plan on using the extended celebration scene but instead I cut it completely. There was nothing said in either of the two versions that couldn't be said better by a simple silent introspective shot of Thor (Thinking about Jane) and then the first cut to Jane. I'm not sure how much of Loki to feature in the film's frst half, he needs to be there but as little as possible I think. I'll just have to see how it plays out.

TM2YC said:
I was playing around with chroma-keying in a proper backdrop on the unfinished 'Thor And Frigga Discuss Loki' animatic...

12993011375_9c55ae703e.jpg

^ It doesn't totally work but I won't be using the scene anyway because I've realised it belonged to an old pre-reshoots version of the film. After having edited a bit of it close-up I believe Thor2 originally went something like...

1. Various scenes of Jane Foster on earth discovering the Aether.
2. A few scenes of Malekith being awakened by Jane's discovery including deleted 'Dark Elves Prepare For Battle' scene.
3. Scene of Malekith turning Algrim into a Kursed.
4. Only now do we cut to Vanaheim and our first meeting with Thor including deleted 'Extended Vanaheim' scene.
5. Scene of Thor's friends unwittingly smuggling Algrim in to Asgard on their return from Vanaheim.
7. Scene of Frigga talking to Loki ending with the deleted 'Thor And Frigga Discuss Loki' scene.
8. Scene of Thor talking to Odin.
9. 'Extended Celebration' scene. Thor walks out and walks straight into...
10. Scene of Thor talking to Heimdall about Jane.
11. Thor returns to earth to save Jane and bring here back to Asgard

But the theatrical cut goes...

4. Short version of Vanaheim scene (Pre-battle deleted).
NEW. Sequence linking Thor's use of the Bifrost into the start of...
8. Scene of Thor talking to Odin (Frigga intro deleted).
9. Short version of Celebration scene (All the dialogue round the table deleted) (Still ends with Thor walking off to talk to Heimdall in scene 10 despite that now taking place many hours later).
1. Various scenes of Jane Foster on earth discovering the Aether.
2. A few scenes of Malekith being awakened by Jane's discovery inserted here and intercut with the narrative.
10. Scene of Thor talking to Heimdall about Jane.
11. Thor returns to earth to save Jane and bring here back to Asgard.
3. Scene of Malekith turning Algrim into a Kursed.
5. Scene of Thor's friends unwittingly smuggling Algrim in to Asgard on their return from Vanaheim (Except they already returned in scene 9 much earlier?)
7. Scene of Frigga talking to Loki (With exposition dialogue by Loki dubbed onto the front to cover the new scene placement). (Thor's talk with Frigga deleted)

I won't be restoring the original sequence of events as it was a very slow way to open the picture and we wouldn't see Thor for the first part. I can see why they did the reshoots and changed it but I'd like to clear up and streamline a few things if possible. I've already cut the entire celebration scene so there is no longer a continuity error of having all Thor's friends back on Asgard before we see them return but Lady Sif is still in the "Hawk" scene with Odin which I can't figure out a way to remove for the life of me.

Also when you get right into the frame-by-frame cutting the match-cuts in Thor2 aren't all that good indicating heavy removals of dialogue in the final edit. This combined with all the dubbed over dialogue that plays whenever a character has their back to the camera gives the impression that the film was hacked to pieces in the edit (Possibly with good reason as I said above). I'll try to clean up some of this if I can but I doubt it will be possible to fix it all.

(I just needed to write that all down to get it clear in my head ;-))

TM2YC said:
btw If anybody has any ideas how, this the scene that I'd like to remove Lady Sif from (The Cutaway to her is at 00.54):

It's already been heavily edited by the film makers to cut it to the bone so I'm finding it tough to find any way to rearrange the shots to remove this cutaway. I can probably live with the very brief establishing longshot of Sif as you can barely see her. Apart from improving continuity I'd also like to remove any refrence to her being in a 'love-traingle' with Thor as this subplot was so weakly developed as to almost be non-existent. Plus it undermines her as simply being a badass warrior princess and not a redundant love interest for Thor.

I also wouldn't mind removing more of Anthony Hopkins as I think he's truly terrible in Thor2. He's competing with Bruce Willis for the 2013 'Phoning-it-in' award.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish I could see that original cut of Thor 2. I'd imagine the whole thing would have a more deliberate pace, which could've been interesting.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
leeroy said:
nice work i liked how the opening title is used. are you totally removing the original opening scene or moving it to latter on, for me it was one of the best parts of the film.

Thanks for the feedback :).

I was experimenting with cutting in parts of the intro sequence into the scene where Odin explains it all again using a book. I decided to not bother and just have Odin explain all the essentials quickly as we see in the theatrical cut. Expensive as the opening scene looks it serves no purpose in the film. I might still use it, if I feel that portion of the film really needs a dose of action (Rather than a dose of fast exposition and on to the next scene).

btw Did you miss Frigga not being in the opening Loki scene? I worry that her character will be a little thin without it, considering where her arc is going?

leeroy said:
the humour for me was a little to much especially towards the end, the one thing that i don't like about the thor films and agents of shield is how dumb these so called geniuses can act.

I didn't think Thor2 had enough humour (Compared to the first film) so no I probably won't be cutting a frame of that, sorry.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
baileym43 said:
man everything you've said is what i thought watching this. (which was just a couple days ago). they must have had the same editing team as the first film. the first film felt like it was a college student's semester final project.
and Hopkins pretty much continued on with his same performance from the first one. he may as well have been holding the script in his hand the whole time.
the love triangle thing, wow, you nailed it. when we were handed those subtle side-ways glances from Siff and then . . .Nothing. what a waste of everyone's time.
i mean Thor is a full on fantasy driven character. it's as if the film makers have no idea what to do with him any more.

All this is true but I still enjoyed Thor2 (and Thor1) a lot. I don't think I've actually read any Thor comics so couldn't comment on how the film portrays him. Not much of a Marvel fan comic book wise at all really, Mark Millar's 'Civil War' is about the only thing I've read and that was because it was Millar.

DominicCobb said:
I wish I could see that original cut of Thor 2. I'd imagine the whole thing would have a more deliberate pace, which could've been interesting.

Another editor (Somebody with an Agent9 level skill set) could do that cut as it would require some FX work. However I don't think it would be an improvement but I'd love to see it anyway.

My impressions of the material is that a hell of a lot more was cut, than the 5 minutes included on the Blu-Ray. There must be a few more Sif scenes, probably some more of Hogan (I thought it was wierd that he's on another world for no reason) and surely there was more Malakith?

Also I've just realised that this scene...

Originally took place after Malakith's assault on Asgard. Because you can tell from the dialogue and the fact that Eccelston has dots on his face to add the lightning burns in post production. But what is interesting is that Algrim isn't a so called "Kursed" in this scene. Meaning that that subplot was added later and that every scene Kursed-Algrim is in has been done over in CGI later. So maybe the prison escape scene did not appear in the workprint either since it's Kursed-Algrim that breaks everybody out?

Also, also, just realised not all the deleted scenes are on my Blu-Ray that I paid good cash money for... cheapskate muthaf**kas!!! :-x This is the same sh*t as the 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Blu-Ray. It devalues the format when extras are spread out over different platforms. Killing the appeal of the Blu-Ray isn't the way to build purchasing loyalty from your customers (Rant over). Here's one of the scenes I don't have (It was a Disney streaming thing I think)...

^ No great loss as that sequence has plenty of action anyway but still irritating. I noticed that the DVD has one deleted scene listed. I wonder if it is also not on the Blu-Ray. Can anyone confirm this?

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Another editor (Somebody with an Agent9 level skill set) could do that cut as it would require some FX work. However I don't think it would be an improvement but I'd love to see it anyway.

Appreciate the NOD.. :) Much respect... [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought I'd tried every combination of dialogue and image to remove Sif from the scene I posted uncut above but I found a way at last. Here it is (00.21) and also this clip shows the removal of the entire unnecessary 'Celebration' sequence...

The match-cut isn't 100% perfect (Thor is glancing a little too far to the right before the cut IMO) but there isn't a single good match-cut in that Thor/Odin conversation anyway (See 00.12 ;-)*).

(* Might remove "Thank you" just to sort that error out)

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good job removing the cut away to Sif - the direction Thor is looking in not quite matching up isn't a very big deal, IMO... like you said, there are worse in the original editing of the movie!

I also love the discussion about what you think the early ordering of the movie might have been like - very fascinating and I too would like to see someone tackle that proposed original cut, at least as a curiosity of nothing else.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, the way Thor looks isn't that big a deal. The dialogue and music carry the scene nicely, but if it bothers you, you should remove it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need to watch this movie sometime, I got it last week but I'm waiting for an evening spent with one of my gal pals who crushes massively on the bloke with the hammer :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
coinilius said:
Good job removing the cut away to Sif - the direction Thor is looking in not quite matching up isn't a very big deal, IMO... like you said, there are worse in the original editing of the movie!

Nic said:
Yeah, the way Thor looks isn't that big a deal. The dialogue and music carry the scene nicely, but if it bothers you, you should remove it.

I'm totally happy to keep it in as it's way better executed than the 'professional' edits in that sequence anyway. I can foresee some future reviews of this edit on IFDB marking me down heavily for 'visual editing' when the dodgy bits aren't actually my doing... but hey that's life :-D.

Thanks for the feedback.

Zarius said:
I need to watch this movie sometime, I got it last week but I'm waiting for an evening spent with one of my gal pals who crushes massively on the bloke with the hammer :)

:D Even for a guy it's difficult not to have a crush on Thor when Chris Hemsworth has put all that work into making him totally ripped.

slide11.jpg

The Thor2 Blu-Ray extras reveal it could have all been so different...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also this B-Roll (Again not on my Blu-Ray :mad:) made interesting view for me...

...as at 05.49 it has a shot of Kursed-Algrim on Vanaheim meaning he was originally part of the film and that he was in there very early, before we even first saw Thor. Quite how he got captured right at the start of the film, yet didn't escape until after Jane turns up in Asgard a day later, I don't know. Also there is a shot later in the clip of Kursed-Algrim on the Asgard set, so bang goes my theory about him being a late addition to that sequence anyway.

I decided to have another go at integrating the Prologue into Odin's near-duplicate exposition speech in the library. In fact I've almost replaced it entirely:

I couldn't make it feel right until I got the idea of removing all of Malakith and Bor's dialogue. Then it started feeling like a proper flashback, rather than a full scene we are watching live. Getting the right selection of shots and fine tuning the audio mix on the transitions was very tricky. I really like it where it is now.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just recently watched it. I'm not sure if it's due to the redundant exposition,but the film really doesn't feel like it clicks together after Frigga dies. With that, I'm hoping you at least consider using the Thor and Frigga scene. I say consider because, funny enough, I don't wan't the method of how the illusion magic works to be ruined.

As for Loki's death and resurrection, I was wondering if you could make him appear more blue as he seems to fade away, since his Frost Giant form is his default. As for the "resurrection," I was hoping you could cut out him getting back up,and instead just cutting to the soldier informing Odin of what happened. We only ever see Loki's soldier disguise one time before, during the Chris Evans cameo, and we never get a close-up shot of his face, so the reveal of Loki at the end can be more of a surprise.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic said:
Just recently watched it. I'm not sure if it's due to the redundant exposition,but the film really doesn't feel like it clicks together after Frigga dies. With that, I'm hoping you at least consider using the Thor and Frigga scene.

(As I said somewhere the other day) The reason I won't be using the 'Thor and Frigga' scene is because it originally took place very early on. Moving the other scenes that opened and closed it to their original positions to accomodate that scene, would create huge plot problems that could only be solved by some FX work. In the theatrical cut (And my cut) the scene that originally lead into 'Thor and Frigga' takes place a day after the scene that originally ended 'Thor and Frigga' :-D. Even it were possible, I like the big epic sweep of the Asgard opening sequence and that would need to be deleted.

Nic said:
I don't wan't the method of how the illusion magic works to be ruined.

Sorry, not sure what you mean?

Nic said:
As for Loki's death and resurrection, I was wondering if you could make him appear more blue as he seems to fade away, since his Frost Giant form is his default. As for the "resurrection," I was hoping you could cut out him getting back up,and instead just cutting to the soldier informing Odin of what happened. We only ever see Loki's soldier disguise one time before, during the Chris Evans cameo, and we never get a close-up shot of his face, so the reveal of Loki at the end can be more of a surprise.

It's my intention (Or hope) to swap the post-credits scene with the final Loki scene. So we still get a proper happy ending and not the "Surprise! That whole film was a waste of time!" ending it currently has. I was tempted to just go "Off Canon" and have Loki actually die but I think I'd rather just have his resurrection tucked away after the credits roll (Then you have the option to watch it or not).

I haven't decided on exactly how I will cut it yet and still wondering if I want to keep the collector coda/'Guardians of the Galaxy' teaser-mid-credits thing or not.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed the film - great fun. Dramatic. Epic. Emotional. Humorous.
But I'm interested in your take. Looks like a great alternate take. Your replacement of the exposition was superb. Absolutely flawless. Well done!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
I really enjoyed the film - great fun. Dramatic. Epic. Emotional. Humorous.
But I'm interested in your take. Looks like a great alternate take. Your replacement of the exposition was superb. Absolutely flawless. Well done!

Yeah I enjoyed Thor2 as well and thanks for the feedback.

Just a few minor changes today...

- Reinstated Frigga into the Loki prologue - I was very happy with the seemless removal and it got us to Thor a little quicker. But for the sake of less than 30 seconds it wasn't right to have her absent from the first 30 minutes of the film. Instead I've cut Loki's last cheeky walk towards the Throne over Odin's first dialogue which comes over as much more insolent (and saves a few seconds to boot ;-)).
- Recoloured the flashback sequence to be a little more sepia and desaturated to distinguish it further from the present day footage. We cut to Malakith right after the flashback so it's important to make the difference clear.
- Made Odin's "He killed them all" line louder to further smooth the transition out of the flashback speech and into the library speech.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment on what to do in the lead up to the attack on Asgard. I don't like that we pause in the build up of tension for a lengthy dialogue scene between Loki and Frigga. It really sticks out that the scene wasn't supposed to be there. I very much want to remove it but that would lose a key moment in setting up Loki's relationship with his mother. Perhaps I can find a place for it earlier but I can't see where as just plonking the scene into a random point is just the kind of disordered storytelling that I'm trying to fix.

This is the scene in question...

^ Listen how Loki's first line is dubbed on later to cover over the fact that this scene didn't originally live at that point in the film (And I'd guess the marching prisoners are CGI additions).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just an idea... when Jane wakes up on the Asgardian Flyer in the Dark World with the dark blue eyes, there are two POV shots from her perspective, had you considered maybe tinting these shots to add weight to the fact she in is undergoing a transformation?

In regards to the Loki and Frigga scene, I really love it and would hate to see it cut. I did not find it disturbed the pace or build up, but I see your point about trying to move it up earlier in the story.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Just an idea... when Jane wakes up on the Asgardian Flyer in the Dark World with the dark blue eyes, there are two POV shots from her perspective, had you considered maybe tinting these shots to add weight to the fact she in is undergoing a transformation?

I'll give it a go when I get to that point but the idea doesn't appeal to me on paper.

bionicbob said:
In regards to the Loki and Frigga scene, I really love it and would hate to see it cut. I did not find it disturbed the pace or build up, but I see your point about trying to move it up earlier in the story.

I had a go at removing it...

- Removed Loki/Frigga conversation
- Removed Loki voiceover and rebuilt soundFX layers
- Added ominous music over Loki watching the prisoners
(I've included the next two scenes after the removal just to show how it all flows, nothing actually changes after 00.33)

Not sure if it totally works technically. It was hard to find exact soundFX matches for the sound of Asgardian armour (It sounds a bit to chainmail-ish). I much prefer the pacing without it but it's probably too important a scene to delete as you say. On reflection there is nowhere that it can go earlier in the film. I want every scene to flow naturally into one another and that would just get in the way e.g. My cut goes...

- Odin and Loki talking about Thor fighting a war
- Cut to Thor fighting a war
- Thor returns from war and talks to Odin about it
- Then Thor and odin talk about Jane
- Cut to Jane
- Jane investigates the Aether, vanishes and awakens Malakith
- Cut to Malakith waking up
- Cut to Thor wondering why Jane has vanished
- Cut to Jane reappearing and Thor coming to get her and take her to Asgard
- Back on Asgard - Jane, Thor and Odin discuss the Aether and Malakith
- Cut back to Malakith sending Algrim to Asgard
- Algrim arrives in Asgard
- Totally random dialogue scene between Loki and Frigga that has no bearing on anything else in the plot :-D

Despite my issues with it I'll probably leave it the way it is in the theatrical cut. As at least the conversation takes place in the prison while the narrative of the film is focused on the prison.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's another option, removing Loki's dubbed-on opening line...

I think it's a much more pleasing and subtle segue out of the marching and into the scene between Loki and Frigga. It also stays truer to the brooding mood of the rest of Loki's dialogue.

Still hoping to find a better armour sound. This time I've also added the crackle of the burning torches (Very quiet in the mix but it just adds something I feel). Perhaps I can find some cavernous echoey rock soundFX too to 'fill the space'.

Top Bottom