• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: Recut

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
manosteel-front-100-1393539940.jpg

Fanedit Name: Man of Steel: Recut
Faneditor Name: Avid 4D
Original Movie Title: Man Of Steel
Genre: Action; Superheroes
Franchise: Superman
Fanedit Type: FanFix

Original Release Date: 2013
Original Running Time: 143 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: March 2014
Fanedit Running Time: 139 minutes
Time Cut: 4 minutes
Available in HD? Yes

Brief Synopsis:
Being a long term Superman fan, I was pleased when Man Of Steel was finally released. It was everything that I was hoping for and more, but with that said I felt the flow of the story was a little confused. My fan fix edit of Man Of Steel retells the story from Clark's perspective but maintains the gripping action. Why does he have powers? What support does he get from his parents? Where will he end up? And what should he do when Earth is threatened?

Intention:
With inspiration from the Smallville TV series, I wanted to make the story of Man Of Steel more believable in terms of how Clark deals with his abilities, how he learns to understand who is is as a person, and where he fits in. Clark grew up with Johnathan and Martha Kent, so it would be natural that he would have a stronger bond with them and not so much with Jor-El, who he eventually meets as an adult.

Editing Details:
I have created a more linear story from Clark's perspective in my edit of Man Of Steel. Krypton is still part of the story, but seen only in flashbacks. We learn about Krypton and its fate as Clark learns about it, and we experience the development of his abilities as Clark as he does.

Cuts and Additions:

A complete re-ordering of scenes and audio, with simple transition effects used for flashbacks of Krypton. I felt a few minor things drew too much attention away from the main story, such as the flying dinosaur on Krypton. We are watching Man Of Steel, not Jurrasic Park! It is still part of the story but not as much.

When Zod makes his global announcement to Earth, it bothered me that the video image is distorted but his voice becomes clear, so I added a slight distortion to what it sounds like so it compliments what the transmission looks like.

There were a few lines which I removed because they sounded a little corny, and I also made some very subtle edits in the Metropolis battle scene. There is complete carnage as in the theatrical release, however by trimming just a few seconds in a few places I feel keeps the focus on the battle itself.

I also used some zoom & pan effects to give the audience more of a chance to notice that an oil tanker has LexCorp written on the side of it, and the satellite in space has Wayne Enterprises labelled on it. My fanfix of Man Of Steel is 1080p 5.1 surround in MP4.

Release Information:
1080p MP4

I look forward to this! Also I never understood the complaints about the dinosaur. To me it made Krypton feel like a fully inhabited planet and perhaps Jor El used to beast to elude the enemies tracking devices. Just an idea really.

Yeah, who's really bothered by the dinosaur? If anything, it makes the movie better (that's what dinosaurs do).

Splicing the studio credits with glimpses of Lara giving birth felt awkward. I would rather it be kept like the theatrical cut except with a gradual fade-out as Jor-El looks down on the baby. There's a few odd frames that's all black with lens glare before we see Clark in the classroom. The transitions could be smoother in the early half of the movie.

Story-wise, the linear editing to the narrative made it easier to connect with Clark and the Kents. It also made the Kryptonians mysterious and intriguing when their past is explained. Placing the Krypton scenes within Jor-El's exposition to Clark was a good decision because it was repetitive in the theatrical cut, however I would rather the transition be subtle rather than an artistic effect. The edits in the latter half of the movie were very well-done. They felt natural and kept the scenes focused. Cutting down awkward dialogue made the script much better.

Overall, this edit made me like the movie more than before. It cleaned up rough edges while keeping the story and the majority of the movie intact. Sometimes simpler is better. Since the story itself isn't very complex, the linear narrative improved the viewing experience. Thanks for the fanedit and for sharing!

I really wanted to like this. Really, I did. Unfortunately altering the narrative structure in such a pedestrian manner has totally ruined the context and created unanswered questions for a new audience. Who's the woman giving birth? Is it his Mom? Why does the kid have x-ray vision? How come he can heat up door knobs with his eyes? Who's the other woman? Is that is Mom? etc, etc , ect. Its cheating to rely on the audience's familiarity with the source material to answer the questions you created in screwing with the scene order. Just putting all the flashbacks together back to back does not mean that you have a coherent narrative. Personally, I don't see much point to this edit. It makes a troubled film even worse. Picture and sound quality are excellent and the quality of the edits are well done, but it's the ideas behind them that betray the technical skill of the editor.

Hi Toonloon... happy to discuss my ideas behind this edit.

Clark's earliest memories wouldn't be Krypton, they are of the Kents. This was never debated in any previous movie or TV series, nor was it in the theatrical release of Man Of Steel. Making his true mother a mystery would have been exactly as Clark lived it, right up until he meets the "ghost" of Jor-El who explains his true heritage. It's in Jor-El's story telling that he learns who both his natural mother and father were. Jor-El even mentions her in his story telling, and as a viewer you see her in the flashbacks. When you see Lara the viewer can then connect her to the birth scene. It is not the first time a movie starts with a short, brief scene that makes little sense, until it is explained later.

Why does the kid have x-ray vision? Why can he heat the door knob? They are the very questions Clark is asking because he doesn't understand why he is so different. Neither does Martha, who young Clark calls Mom, but she offers support the best way she can. A first time viewer would be asking the same questions, just as you are, with answers given only when Clark himself finds out. It's Clark's journey - he has no idea what's going on and this edit takes the viewer on that journey of discovery with him.

It is very much the same journey Clark made in the Smallville TV series. For the first couple of seasons at least he knew nothing of Krypton, and it was never mentioned in the show or referred to the audience watching every week. I hope I have explained this well enough, and I'm happy to field any further questions or feedback.

I don't need to ask you anything further, thank you. I get that you wanted to make it more like Smallville, an approach that I think does not work at all with this movie.

You've removed the flashbacks but then created new ones with the Jor El avatar. That didn't work for me either.

Anyways, I'm sure it's down to a matter of taste, which sadly, this one didn't do it for me.

Thank you Avid 4D, for an excellent edit of a disappointing movie that had so much potential.
You've provided a version of Man of Steel that I can happily rewatch.

I've posted my review below:

Before Man of Steel came out in theatres, I was really hyped up about it. I thought it was going to be an incredible movie. But when I went to see it, I was severely disappointed because it had so much potential, but just fell short because of poor decisions made by the filmmakers. The most significant of those choices, in my opinion, was the sporadic flashback structure they used. The non-linear narrative prevented me from being able to relate to the protagonist because I couldn't get a feel for what it was like for him to grow up with his powers. The non-linear approach also made me think that the studio didn't have faith in young Clark being interesting enough for audiences.

Avid 4D's edit completely fixes this problem (as best as possible, given the source material), giving us a true Superman origin story. The entire first half of the movie played out like a movie about a hesitant/lost boy with extraordinary abilities trying to come to terms with his unique powers that he had from a very young age. I think this is the perfect approach to a Superman origin movie, as it is one of the major aspects of Superman that sets him apart from other superheroes. This linear approach allowed me to empathize with young Clark much more so that when he eventually chose to don the costume and reveal himself to the world, it felt more natural.

I thought it was very bold of Avid 4D to place the Krypton scenes in the middle of the movie when Clark meets the hologram of Jor-El. A bold move that works exceptionally well. I like that we, the audience, meet Jor-El and learn about Krypton for the first time, just as Clark does. This further contributes to allowing us to relate to Clark and feel/know what he's going through. (Also, I thought the quick shots of Kal-El's mother giving birth to him during the opening credits were fantastic)

I also felt that the movie was slightly shorter (in a good way), but I couldn't really tell where things were edited out. I never felt like anything was missing.

Assuming I had the talent that Avid 4D has (which I definitely don't), the only thing I'd try to improve upon is removing a lot more cheesy/cliche things. I would have removed Superman and Lois kissing (to be honest, I'd try to find a way to reduce Lois' screentime in general. She was somehow everywhere!), and I would have removed the small subplot of Jenny getting stuck beneath a bunch of debri. I would have removed the small rivalry between Chris Meloni's character and the badass female Kryptonian (I hated the "A good death is it's own reward" line). I would have tried to make Pa Kent's death scene way less lame. Etc.

Overall though, I think this is a fantastic edit that I now recommend to people to watch instead of the theatrical cut of Man of Steel. Thank you very much Avid 4D.

Thanks DrNerj... I'm glad you enjoyed it and appreciate your review and kind words.

Hey, signed up to these forums so that I could get your fan edit. Maybe I'm just being an idiot but how do I download it?

Thanks

Ron

ronhaze said:
Maybe I'm just being an idiot

Not exactly, but the smart move is to read the rules and how to use this site. You can find these near the top of every page.

Hint: Read the rules first.

Thank you for your help. I guess looking through the rules and FAQ would have been a good idea but on most websites and forums it is normally a waste of time so I guess I'm stuck in that mindset. I've got a hold of a copy now and will comment on it once I watch it.
Thanks again

Dude, I've been on a lot of forums and boards and this one is about the same.
If you can't read the rules, at least PM people.
At this joint, the faneditors, at the very least.

Any time you waltz into any new club you ought to lay low, and not pull your shirt off until you grasp the norms.

Hi ronhaze... glad my fan edit brought you to the forum! And don't worry too much about making some mistakes, as long as you learn from them... I'm relatively new myself in the fan edit community and still learning "the do's and dont's" but always try not to repeat the errors of my ways! :D

So what do I do if I don't get an answer from anyone I Pm'd about getting this fanedit?

MAN OF STEEL RECUT v2 is complete!!!

I have been fine tuning my edit of Man Of Steel for a couple months (thanks for your patience those who have been asking for it) and it is now ready. I have provided new details to fanedit.info so it should be available soon.

Largely my re-structure remains unchanged, presenting the story from Clark's perspective, but given feedback from many fan editors I have made several slight alterations.

1. The entire movie has been given a slight colour correction. It now doesn't appear as grey as the theatrical release.
2. Utilized a new audio rip of the entire movie eliminating all audio pops, but I also improved some audio mixing and transitions between spliced scenes.
3. I didn't change the opening title sequence - some people hated it while others weren't concerned at all - but I did recut the classroom scene to better play out young Clark's "visions." Some people didn't like the way I edited this scene the first time so version 2 fixes it.
4. I removed a couple more cheesy one liners.
5. I trimmed a couple buildings collapsing in the final battle sequence to reduce the visual destruction - but this is a Zack Snider film so there is still heaps!

AND then what got me most excited! Yes this movie still excites me and even a bit more now with my new closing credits that give a nod to the sequel, BATMAN VS SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE. It's only in the closing credits, but I'm sooooo looking forward to Bat vs Supe and just had to do something! :D

One person suggested I remove the scene of Clark and Jonathan when Clark gets bullied, but I feel this scene is important for laying the foundation of the Kent's love for their adopted son. Also I kept Jonathan going back to the tornado - it was never actually about saving the dog - Jonathan wanted Clark to take Martha because he knew Clark would protect and save her.

Lastly, a lot of people seem to watch fan edits on a PC and have trouble with 5.1 surround. All my fan edits are in 5.1 AC3 Dolby Surround, but for v2 of Man Of Steel Recut I added an extra 2 channel stereo audio track. If you're having trouble then use the second track, but users with an AC3 Filter installed or who are watching through a Media Centre you will be fine on track one. Video is in 1080p H.264 MP4 format. I built a PC recently with Intel's new 6 core i7 CPU and with the extra grunt I rendered using full dual pass encoding. As usual the scenes with good lighting still look best though.

Threads merged. You are welcome to add the v2 information to the first post if you like.

Krypton sequence in flashbacks!! Wow...that got my attention! I would love to see this! I'm a total noob!

Back
Top Bottom