• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Topher Grace Releases Trailer for Redux of the Jedi

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple years back actor Topher Grace condensed the Star Wars Prequels to just 85 minutes. While the world may never see his cut of the prequel trilogy, he has released a trailer for it. More on his website, Cereal Prize.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm impressed, to the point that i may re-watch another fanedit of the prequels again

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought this meant he edited Jedi as well.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't watch a prequel trailer with Inception music without thinking about TRM.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It concerns me that in an 85 minute version of all three movies he found space for Yoda with a lightsaber, R2D2 flying, and C3PO's head being attached to a battle droid.

kane1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meh. A trailer for a fan edit that the editor doesn't want us to see. I find it hard to get excited about this.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man, what I wouldn't give to see the full thing.

I like Omaryu's (?) suggestion on the main page that Topher Grace post the cutlist so we can reconstruct it at home if we wish...if he made a cutlist, that is.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theory: I think Topher is testing the waters with all this recent talk. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing released in the not-too-distant future.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I told you not to mention that!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be fair, it sounds like he made that trailer a couple of years ago when that music was less ubiquitous.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ever since I came across some of the links to details about Topher Grace's Star Wars: Episode III.5 - The Editor Strikes Back edit on this thread here - http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?6746-Actor-Topher-Grace-is-a-FanEditor , I've thought it would be kinda neat to see how his radical 3-in-one version played out.

So it was interesting to see his trailer for it, which was discussed at this link too - http://www.slashfilm.com/topher-grace-star-wars-trailer/

(by the way - when I tried to download the video directly off Topher's own site the other day, I ended up with the 20 mins. long 'discussion' video instead of the trailer...but I was able to grab it from the 'slashfilm' site instead, although I see that it's been removed from there now)

I liked the trailer well enough, although I still prefer 'Star Wars' ones to include John Williams music...but you certainly can't go wrong with starting with a Sir Alec Guinness voiceover, which was good. Anyway, it seems that he's managed to come up with an extremely bold cut, considering his version runs only 1 hour 25 mins. in length from a total of almost 7 hours of footage...and it would be neat if he could at least let everyone know some more details of his 'cut-list' someday.

However, I see from the trailer that he's included a couple of things that I definitely didn't care for - and yes...'flying' CGI Artoo...I'm especially looking at you! :p

By the way, for anyone who hasn't come across this yet, here's a look at Topher's Close Encounters of the Third Kind: The Remix trailer too - http://www.slashfilm.com/trailer-an...es-remix-of-close-encounters-of-a-third-kind/

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting trailers, but he couldn't make them better looking?

purplenurple

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly, while I'm definitely curious to see it (as is the case with most every fan edit), I have my doubts that it's all that great as it would compare to some of the more accomplished edits out there. After all, this is the only fan edit he's ever made.

This edit has stirred up a lot of discussion, but let's be realistic here and recognize the fact that this discussion is mostly happening between people who have no experience at all with fan edits, and for whom Grace's edit is the first thing of this sort they've ever heard of. There are probably a lot of people out there who think he sort of invented a new thing, here.

Moreover, I don't really think the attention his edit has received would be remotely as widespread were it not for his fame -- his status as an actor, etc., doesn't really give us reason to believe that his edit would be anything special though, you know?

Giving Grace the benefit of the doubt, he did apparently buy an Avid for his edit, not to mention seeking professional tutelage on its use and on editing in general -- so he clearly takes the endeavor seriously. I'd say odds are okay that he made a good (or even great) edit, but I really haven't heard any evidence to suggest that he did any more than re-jigger the prequels, which has been done more than once elsewhere, as we all know.

I suppose in a nutshell I'm just questioning the reasoning behind the fan edit community's interest in this edit, since Grace is a completely unknown entity and ultimately no different from the many untested and unproven editors out there, save for his fame.

/wet blanket

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
purplenurple said:
I suppose in a nutshell I'm just questioning the reasoning behind the fan edit community's interest in this edit, since Grace is a completely unknown entity and ultimately no different from the many untested and unproven editors out there, save for his fame.

Well, you said yourself that you're curious to see it just as you are for most fan edits. So are we.

And with all Star Wars fan edits, the question is "What did he keep in and what did he take out?" Since it's a staggeringly short edit, it's even more of an interesting question, IMO.

And, yes, his fame is a factor. Since fan editing is marginalized and misunderstood by much of Hollywood, it's fascinating to read about someone within the system who actually gets it.

Also, his acting is what most of us know, but I don't think most of us know or have any idea what his editing skills are. He may be outstanding at the latter. So dismissing his editing on the basis of, say, the character he played on That '70s Show is really an apples and oranges comparison.

If nothing else, even if it's a really bad edit, it would give us all some great conversation. :)

I agree with you that a lot of people in the outside world who are excited about this edit are people who probably have no idea what a fan edit is, and think that Topher Grace invented it himself.

Top Bottom