• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Oblivion Redeemed

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished a fanedit/fanfix of Oblivion. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what to put here but the submission form required a link to a forum thread. So, here it is. I suppose if you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer.

EDIT: Per Neglify's advice, here's some more info.

saMw6mC.jpg

Brief Synopsis:

Oblivion was a good sci-fi movie hindered by unnecessary plot exposition, Tom Cruise-isms, and a few inconsistent character motivations. By removing the bookend voice-overs, trivial dialog and a few choice action sequences, this edit streamlines the viewing experience, adds more mystery and otherwise polishes this film for a more mature, intelligence audience.

Intention:

The purpose of this edit was to remove the clutter and "dumbing down" aspects of this film to create a more satisfactory sci-fi experience for a smart audience.

Edit Highlights Include:

- new opening
- new ending
- streamlined narrative
- smarter action scenes
- trimmed dialog

The following are spoiler specific edits:

Act 1
-Removed V.O.
-Re-sequenced opening shots to correlate with music
-Edited/Added music
-Removed the flying through storm/lightning sequence
-Re-sequenced interaction with Sally
-Removed dialog exchange concerning “Classic”
-Removed dialog, “166, back online.”
-Removed dialog, “These scavs are getting bolder.”
-Removed dialog concerning not being able to track the drone
-Removed shot of Jack jumping with the motorbike
-Removed dialog, “Jack!” before drone starts shooting
-Removed dialog, “That radiation will cook you…”
-Removed dialog, “That’s right, Bob…”
-Removed dialog, “I’m gonna miss this place...”
-Removed dialog, “Jack.”

Act 2
-Removed dialog, “Jack, where have you been?”
-Removed dialog, “Jack.”
-Removed dialog, “Vicka.”
-Removed shot showing Julia’s life support as critical
-Removed Julia’s tantrum
-Removed Vicka trying to give her a shot of medicine
-Removed dialog concerning remembering Julia
-Removed dialog, “Jack.”
-Removed shot of Vicka seeing scavs on her screen
-Removed dialog, “How can man die better…”
-Removed dialog concerning risking their lives
-Re-edited entire sequence of Julia’s reveal as Jack’s wife
-Removed dialog, “Jack!”
-Removed dialog concerning Sally killing Vicka
-Removed flying through storm/lightning sequence
-Re-edited canyon action sequence to reduce missed gunfire and dialog
-Removed dialog exchange about flying into the radiation zone
-Increased black screen time slightly
-Removed dialog, “Jack!”
-Re-edited fight sequence slightly to remove pauses and hesitations
-Removed dialog, “Julia. Julia!”
-Removed dialog, “Hell of a day…”
-Removed dialog, “But I’ve loved you…”

Act3
-Removed dialog, “…thought I saw a way. When you stepped in front…”
-Removed pause before Jack jumps away from fireball
-Removed dialog, “It reminds me of home.”
-Removed dialog, “Jack!”
-Removed dialog, “Dream of us.”
-Reduced audio effects in outer space shot
-Removed dialog concerning the Super Bowl
-Removed dialog, “We would make a more effective team.”
-Reduced audio effects in outer space shot
-Removed dialog, “Jack! We have 30 seconds!”
-Removed dialog, “Buck up, Bob…”
-Removed dialog, “I want Julia to live.”
-Removed dialog, “Jack, you’re doing the right thing.”
-Removed audio effects in outer space shot
-Removed V.O.
-Re-sequenced closing shots
-Edited/Added music
-Re-edited ending sequence to exclude Tech 52 reveal

Spoiler for those who did not see the original movie:

Does this edit removes the fact that the girl acts like if the clone of the man she once loved long ago is actualy that man? While it's just a fucking clone, you know. She's not falling in love with the clone for who he is now, she really acts with him as if he is the same guy and so she's in love with him because of that. I don't like this point of view. At all.
And worse in the end she said to her daughter: "he is your father". No. He's a clone of another clone of a guy that could have been her father. So to quote Indiana Jones 3: if he is her father, "then I am Mickey Mouse!"
There's a thin line between replicants love in Blade Runner (you know: machines so perfect that they can feel love. That's a beautiful subject) and that stinky sience fiction that tries to force you to think that everyone is replaceable. That even love can be duplicated from a body to another and you should be happy about it. That it's okay if you're not really yourself and you better drop a tear in the end cause it's so beautiful. Fuck that.
This movie is so nice looking and well done, yet it's one of the movies that irritated me the most in years.

beezo said:
I just finished a fanedit/fanfix of Oblivion. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what to put here

How about explaining what you changed?

Don’t get me going about the flight recorder or why aliens scamper on four legs early in the film, then two legs later on.
Did you address those inconsistencies?

Glancing at your signature, you have edited several movies.
I am intrigued, but I have aged out of currently popular plots and fare relying on CGI.
Anything related to "super powers" and I'm late for the door.
To quote the philosophers, Kill 'Em All.

Vultural said:
why aliens scamper on four legs early in the film, then two legs later on.

Evolution.

Does this edit removes the fact that the girl acts like if the clone of the man she once loved long ago is actualy that man? While it's just a fucking clone, you know.

My edit removes the Tech 52 reveal at the end, but does include the reveal of the daughter.

TV's Frink said:
How about explaining what you changed?

Oblivion was a good sci-fi movie hindered by unnecessary plot exposition, Tom Cruise-isms, and a few inconsistent character motivations. By removing the bookend voice-overs, trivial dialog and a few choice action sequences, this edit streamlines the viewing experience, adds more mystery and otherwise polishes this film for a more mature, intelligence audience.

The purpose of this edit was to remove the clutter and "dumbing down" aspects of this film to create a more satisfactory sci-fi experience for a smart audience.

Vultural said:
Don’t get me going about the flight recorder or why aliens scamper on four legs early in the film, then two legs later on.
Did you address those inconsistencies?

I address these issues in my commentary track. The aliens appearing non-human is just the film "hiding" their identity for a later reveal. It's a tad cheesy, but not ruinous. The flight recorder "goof" can be resolved by presuming that there are two recorders on the ship (one in the cockpit, one in the lifepod bay) or that there is only one in the lifepod bay, but it only records from the mic in the cockpit. Again, not ruinous and at least explainable.

I must say I didn't find much if anything wrong with "Oblivion", it offers imho a well-built up story that is beautifully filmed.

The only fault I saw was that clones would have the memories of those cloned from. But then an alien was involved in the cloning and so maybe transplanted the memories as well..

My main problem was that before I saw it I heard it was a lot like Moon, which is IMO much better, and thus I spent most of this film either trying to get past Tom Cruise playing ANOTHER guy named Jack or being bored waiting for clones to show up.

It's a beautiful film, like Tron Legacy (same director). Unlike Tron Legacy, I wasn't really pulled in. The big twist was pretty predictable and it seemed like the rest of the plot was just buildup to that.

My main problem was that before I saw it I heard it was a lot like Moon, which is IMO much better, and thus I spent most of this film either trying to get past Tom Cruise playing ANOTHER guy named Jack or being bored waiting for clones to show up.

Yeah, hearing something like that will ruin a movie-going experience. Sorry that happened to you. I've introduced several friends to Oblivion through my edit who were not familiar with the original and all of them found the clone reveal unexpected (as did I upon my first viewing).

NewSpock said:
I must say I didn't find much if anything wrong with "Oblivion", it offers imho a well-built up story that is beautifully filmed.

I think you'd be surprised how many moments are superfluous and weigh down the story.

Vultural said:
Usually appreciate commentary tracks.

As do I. They are available on the DVD and BD ISO files. I suppose they'll be available soon somewhere...

EDIT: They are available now on the info site.

Well darn, now I've had Moon spoiled...

Back
Top Bottom