• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Strange

I always though actor ODED FEHR would make an excellent Dr. Strange.

This has always sounded to me like a really bad idea. I'll be interested to see if Marvel can make me at all excited to see it, because so far, this is feeling like the first MCU flick I'll skip in its theatrical run.

I'm friends with the director on Facebook, and from what I know of him, he's a good choice. Time will tell.

I think it could work if the design takes some cues from (for example) Guillermo del Toro, particularly the amazing creature designs he often uses from Spectral Motion (which itself would be an appropriate name to be associated with the film, for obvious reasons).

In terms of casting, I think there are any number of actors who could more or less do it, but I think it's really important to be able to carry both the arrogance of pre-accident Strange and the mystery/wisdom of Sorceror Supreme Strange, as well as to find a way to remain the same guy during the transition. The animated Sorceror Supreme movie did a fairly good job of this, I thought, though the origin story itself was very different from the one I grew up with.

I like bionicbob's idea of Oded Fehr, as he can play many different notes and has the right look. I wonder whether he won't be considered American enough. Ever since I saw The Count of Monte Cristo, I thought that Jim Caviezel would be very good in the role, though a) I don't know whether his Person of Interest shooting schedule would conflict and b) I wonder whether the occult parts of the storyline would be too big a conflict with his well-publicized personal beliefs. I could also easily see Guy Pearce in the role, but since he's already (and recently) been seen in the Marvel films, I'm not sure they'd want to go that way. Patrick Dempsey has been linked to the role on and off for years, and while it seems at first like a bit of an odd choice possibly based on his role in Grey's Anatomy, he is a good actor who doesn't get to show his range often enough, so it could be interesting if they went that way. I'm not particularly interested in Cumberbatch in the role, primarily because he's tipped for everything these days -- and while he does have a great voice, there's much more to Stephen Strange than that.

If he hadn't died all too young a few years ago, Anthony Quinn's son Francesco Quinn might have been brilliant as either Strange or Mordo...

I think a good Baron Mordo is essential to making the film work. Had it been made in the early 90s, I would probably have suggested someone like Jeroen Krabbe; now, I think my ideal would be closer to Javier Bardem or Cliff Simon, or, if they cast based on voice and physical presence rather than classic look, someone like Christopher Judge.

My biggest concern with the film overall is that they not try to go too big or too well-known with this, kind of like they almost did when Tom Cruise was attached to Iron Man all those years ago. Get the right actor who can play both arrogant and humbled, know-it-all and know-nothing, and someone who can convincingly seem to find the faith to stand up to unimaginable horror armed only with some arcane words, a few hand gestures, and strength of will (and who can sell the idea to the audience, no small task even in the post-Harry Potter era). Who is that actor? I'm not sure, but I think the best option might be someone who isn't the obvious choice.

Pedro Pascal would be a grade A+++ perfect choice but he's only known (at this point) to Game of Thrones fans (which, admittedly, is more than 18 million people in the US alone) so I doubt Marvel will go with him or any of those other actors. Strange isn't a well known hero and Marvel's going to want to cast someone with real name recognition.

Just remembered someone else I had thought of years ago for the role: Rufus Sewell. He's not always great, but when he's on, he's very, very good, and he has the look and (as Dark City proved) can do interesting work in a creepy setting.

I like Sewell, but he strikes me as too beefy for Strange.

Vultural said:
I like Sewell, but he strikes me as too beefy for Strange.

Hmm, I never thought so, but I haven't seen him in much recently...did a particular role make you think so?

The animated Doctor Strange film was pretty good, I'm all for injecting some magic into this sciencey universe.

I bought all the Ditko.

2011-06-23_195053_Steve-Ditko-Doctor-Strange.jpg

Sewell (Seth in Cold Comfort Farm)

tumblr_m7ol0rUxBJ1qkgynvo1_500.jpg

Fair enough, though I always thought of Ditko's work on both Spider-Man and Doctor Strange as highly stylized and emphasizing angles. I guess that may be because my exposure to Doctor Strange started when I was a kid in the mid-late 70s (Gene Colan and after), which was slightly more on the Neal Adams/John Byrne "naturalistic" (odd to use that with Doctor Strange of all titles!) end of the scale. Still, I would like to put this comparison here, just to show that Sewell can have at least a bit of the Ditko look at times:

sewell_strange.png

OK, Hebrides, your take on Sewell looks pretty good, especially if he is lean.
Like the Del Toro idea a lot, too.
You're not, by any chance, some moneyed producer who can pulls strings to implement those ideas, are you?

Vultural said:
OK, Hebrides, your take on Sewell looks pretty good, especially if he is lean.
Like the Del Toro idea a lot, too.
You're not, by any chance, some moneyed producer who can pulls strings to implement those ideas, are you?

I wish! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom