• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Digital Recreations of Historical Places

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CMIE_a.jpg

The "Midwinter Fair"

Fairly high up on the list of things I'd do if I won the lottery would  be to make a digital model of San Francisco's 1894 California Midwinter  International Exposition, or "Midwinter Fair" for short. For those  familiar with SF, it was the first of three world's fairs held there to  date, taking place in Golden Gate Park. The still-magical Music Councourse area, with  its De Young and Academy of Sciences museums, was constructed for the  Fair, as was the Japanese Tea Garden. The handful of web sites devoted  to the Fair, each with a few small pictures, hardly do justice to the  site, but here are a few links anyhow.

I have a small Images of America book full of awesome photos of  the Fair, but what I really want to do is see it "in person", as it  were. I'm thinking of a first-person computer simulation, ideally one  built and powered entirely by open-source software and models, that  would allow one to experience the Fair in as realistic an environment as  possible. And then there'd be the extras: a model of the Park area as  it looks today, that one could toggle back and forth between, markers  that would allow one to approach and view real photos of the fair as  seen from their point of origin, and of course historical annotations  and links to further reading and the like. (And, for those interested,  the ability to load such environments into whatever open-source video  games you may be into.)

Unfortunately, I really know nothing about 3D modeling or even  contemporary games, so I can't yet contribute anything beyond conceptual  brainstorming for such a project, though a quick googling shows that  several open-source first person shooter game engines do in fact exist.  And what'd be really awesome would be if this sort of thing really took  off, and groups of people around the world started building similar  historical recreations based upon a common digital foundation - a  Wikipedia of Historical Sites, as it were. In addition to the Midwinter  Fair, I'd love to see San Francisco's other two expos get the same  treatment, along with such areas as Roman Forum as it was in Ceasar's  day, the Titanic, Roman Londinium, and other places and times. I think  it could be a great educational tool, and eventually, one could even go  to present-day historical sites and use one's phone to "look" right into  the past.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts? Anyone else have any bygone or  radically-changed places you wish you could poke around and explore?  :)

^ Yeah, I was watching some Adventure of Tintin movie extras over Christmas and thinking to myself, "damn, those Weta guys would be the perfect model-makers for this project."

I had a computer game once, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, that rebuilt the whole ship from a first-person perspective way back in '96. Course, this was still static image navigation, a la Myst, rather than full FPS-style immersion, but it was still pretty cool.

TMBTM said:
Makes me think about a bonus doc on Peter Jakson's King Kong bluray/DVD about the CG recreation of 1933's New York.
Pretty amazing.

Here is a link to an interview, with pictures, about the guy in charge of it:
http://www.cgarchitect.com/2006/04/interview-with-chris-white-on-king-kong

Loved that Doc fascinating stuff. Great when they mention the irony that it took longer for them to make the 3D model than it took them to build the real Empire State back in the day. Peter Jackson does such very good DVD extras :).

Back
Top Bottom