• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Animals (a Pink Floyd sync)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
animals_front.jpg

Fanedit Name: Animals
Faneditor: Neglify
Fanedit Type: Special Projects
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Documentary, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Horror, Musical, Romance
Tagline: Any fool knows a dog needs a home, a shelter from pigs on the wing.

Original Movie Title: Milo & Otis
Original Release Date: 1989
Fanedit Release Date: January 2014

Original Running Time: 75 minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 42 minutes
Time Cut: 33 minutes

Brief Summary:

This is ‘Milo & Otis’ synced up to a Pink Floyd masterpiece.

‘Milo & Otis’ is a Japanese film about a cat and dog swept up in hazardous adventures in the wild. ‘Animals’ is a progressive rock album by Pink Floyd, inspired in part by George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’. It takes aim at politics, with deeper themes of life and death, manipulation, greed, blind faith and power. And it’s pretty rocking.

Intention:

I watched this movie many times as a child, I was fascinated by what was being shown to me. As an adult type person I love listening to Pink Floyd, sometimes I’ll watch a random movie while doing it. These two seemed like a perfect fit.

Full fanedit on Vimeo:

Changes and Additions:

“Pigs on the Wing (Part I)”

Not much changed. Cut titles and trimmed some shots.

“Dogs”

Trimmed a lot of shots. Cut Milo & Otis playing hide-and-seek. Trimmed the end of Otis fighting the bear.

“Pigs (Three Different Ones)”

Trims and cuts throughout to maintain rhythm. Moved Milo and the pigs scene to fit here. (If this were a “true sync” that would have played out during ‘Sheep’ and I couldn’t have that.)

“Sheep”

Cut a lot of Milo’s hijinks with various creatures. Cut Otis meeting the fox. Cut out a lot of stuff from the last third of the movie, made it more like a montage.

“Pigs on the Wing (Part II)”

Fade to black. Simplified credits.

Additional Notes:

No animals were harmed in the making of this fanedit.

Special Thanks:

Thanks to that anonymous hero who decided to listen to ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ while watching ‘Wizard of Oz’ and told us all how awesome it was.

Update.

A DVD5 has been made, "Neglify Shorts Volume 1". It includes a higher quality version of "Animals" with optional lyrics subtitles. Check fanedit.info or send me a PM if you wish to see it.

:D Classic Neglify.

Unfortunately, I think I can pinpoint the moment my childlike wonder died was when I was informed how many animals died making this movie. Painful memories. True trauma.

But in other news,

This edit would be awesome to screen at a party.

this looks aweshum, neg. i'll have to wait for a special moment (not this week!) to share and enjoy it.

Anyone who knows the true history of this film should do the world a favour and keep that information to themselves. The animals are already dead. There's no sense destroying the happy memories of our loved ones as well...

I was listening to this album yesterday! I haven't been this excited since Angela Lansbury's "Positive Moves" hit YouTube!

Ruff, ruff-ruff-ruff-ruff-ruff-ruff, RUFF! :)

Google translated: I want watch, first hour change, *UNINTELIGABLE*, mad bird dream..., SOMEONE DROPPED A HOT DOG HERE TWO WEEKS AGO! :)

Rogue-theX said:
Ruff, ruff-ruff-ruff-ruff-ruff-ruff, RUFF! :)

The most sensible thing you've ever said here.

:p

The wikipedia article simply states that Animal Rights Activists "accused" the film makers of mis-treating the animals, despite having absolutely no evidence to back up this assertion. So fans of this film can probably rest easy. Remember that the makers of 'Cannibal Holocaust' where charged with murder at one point because some idiots simply refused to believe the deaths were faked with simple practical FX.

btw Cool idea for an edit and I'd welcome more synch up edits. Would love to see Dark Side of The Moon properly synched to Wizard of Oz through the magic of fanediting. Because while the synch up is eerily perfect for about 20 minutes or so the rest of the album doesn't really fit.

btw love how you've picked a film that visually evokes Atom Heart Mother's LP artwork,

Pink%2BFloyd%2B-%2BAtom%2BHeart%2BMother%2B-%2B1st%2B-%2BLP%2BRECORD-66543.jpg

Note that I said "in the making of this fanedit." The film is a different story.

Review from the eyes of a 2 year old:

My daughter and I have listened to Pink Floyd music ever since she was born. I have over 60 music videos stripped from various sources that I keep on rotation and occasionally play for her before bedtime. She has always really enjoyed Pink Floyd music and their concerts in general. This edit was perfect for our pre-bedtime routine. We split it up over 2 nights and she thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. She easily followed the story and it kept her very entertained. She constantly asked me whether the puppy was going to find the kitty and I had to tell her to just wait and see. The sync was very well done, much of the music felt very appropriate for the scenes we were watching and even when it didn't it was great because it was Floyd.

The only part that didn't quite work was the ending. The reunion of the dog and cat was short lived and then quickly the cat was disinterested and everyone was having babies. I don't know how the original movie went but there definitely should have been a longer emotional payoff after such a long search buildup. I wonder if there isn't something from Saucerful of Secrets or Atom Heart Mother that could be a bonus track to help smooth out the ending? Anyway my daughter certainly didn't notice it too much so all and all it was a terrific experience. I know she'll be requesting it again very soon, and believe me that is her greatest compliment to any form of entertainment!

Audio/Video Quality: Unrated due to Vimeo limitations (10)
Visual Editing: 9
Audio Editing: 10
Narrative: 8
Enjoyment: 10

Wow, awesome, thanks! I never thought I'd make a fanedit appropriate for a two-year-old.

Re the ending.

Yeah I agree it's off compared to the rest. There was a good 20 minutes or so of Milo & Otis and their respective wives/family but I only had 2 1/2 minutes from "Wave upon wave of demented avengers..." to the start of 'Pigs on the Wing Part II', which I already had synced up nicely. I wanted to include the shots of child birth and the montage was the easiest way to wrap it all up. And I liked how dreamlike that sequence felt. It doesn't sync too well, but that's how these things go usually.

Although, in the movie Milo pretty much immediately ditches Otis when he finds the hot pussy. He's really a dick.

Glad you guys enjoyed it so much. :)

i believe Michael Bay was charged with atrocities on mankind for his films.

This is a Michael Bay joint? Wow!

Although I don't think the film plus the music were the best match, I really enjoyed this and was glued to the screen from start to finish. Good work Neg. :)

Back
Top Bottom