• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Conan The Destroyer - Serious Edition

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Conan - The Destroyer - Serious Edition by Leonenut

The edit:
Great. Never before have I enjoyed Conan The Destroyer more. I am thankful for each and every scene you cut from it, without destroying the flow or the pacing. Of course this does not turn Conan 2 into a masterpiece, the movie is still campy, embarrassing, badly acted, has terrible sets, unworthy action scenes, lame special effects and so on, BUT as it is now, it is for a completely enjoyable sequel to Conan. It has all the charme of a cheap 80s fantasy movie. The fanediting job was masterfully exercised.
editing: 5 of 5,
entertainment: 5 of 5

Image quality:
The image quality is perfect, given the quality of the original.
video quality: 5 of 5

Audio quality:
There is one hard cut, where the music suddenly breaks, when Conan is in the town (where the rich guy hides the amulet). Besides that I did not notice any flaw.
audio: 4 of 5

The DVD:
The DVD comes with an acceptable menu with pink links. There is a main menu, still (and very basic) scene selection and an info menu. All without audio. As an extra there are some of the deleted scenes, which are really worth watching, especially considering the faneditor's warning about them. Of course the DVD setting could have been more beautiful, but with the nice extra included, it's more than sufficient.
DVD: 4 of 5

resulting in a 4 of 5 overall rating from me. This is a great fanedit and an extreme improvement over the original movie, which now is just an old movie. I will rather watch this version than ever touching my original again.
I recommend everyone who has a heart for Conan to watch this.

sounds good. i am definitely sold now. will check this out soon

Nice review Boon

Will have to work on my menus on future edits :smile:

I just thought about giving this movie a rerun since it was one of my favorites as a child (it had nothing bad or embarassing to it at all) then boon told me about your edit on the phone and about the fact that my childhood memories obviously cloud my judgement on this one.

I?ll get on the DL and watch your version instead!

I couldn?t tell this to anyone in person because I would probably get smashed in the face but: in fact i liked this conan movie far more than the first one since i saw it first and liked everything about it, even the naive princess and the evil sorcerer. all was very entertaining and exciting and thrilling (hell i was 9!!!). as i finally watched part 1 i found it a bit boring). So thanks mate for bringing back this classic movie...

:)

LOL.

...says the guy with the ugly menstruating cartoonavatar

Heinrich said:
I just thought about giving this movie a rerun since it was one of my favorites as a child (it had nothing bad or embarassing to it at all) then boon told me about your edit on the phone and about the fact that my childhood memories obviously cloud my judgement on this one.

I?ll get on the DL and watch your version instead!

I couldn?t tell this to anyone in person because I would probably get smashed in the face but: in fact i liked this conan movie far more than the first one since i saw it first and liked everything about it, even the naive princess and the evil sorcerer. all was very entertaining and exciting and thrilling (hell i was 9!!!). as i finally watched part 1 i found it a bit boring). So thanks mate for bringing back this classic movie...

:)

I actually saw this in the wrong order by the sounds of it, loved Conan 1 as a kid, then finally saw Conan 2 as a teenager and hated it. Probably best appreciated when you are 9 :smile:

i'll forever know why your opinion is so off, heiney! :)

it makes complete sense why you wouldn't like hetzfeldt - no worries.

harharhar.

because i like me my conan 2???

grace jones had this raw animal energy. and remember this sorcerer...?

scary.

he looked a bit like tim the sorcerer...

i'm just messing with ya

...mostly...

i'm going to pretend you said "tim the enchanter" also :)

i?m going to pretend that you are going to pretend that i had the german translation ?Tim der Zauberer? in mind.

"Es versteckt sich hinter dem Karnickel!" - you know what i mean...

i?m also gonna pretend that your avatar doesn?t suck. :)

LeoneNut has a cool one. it?s not that hard, joe...

LeoneNut said:
I actually saw this in the wrong order by the sounds of it, loved Conan 1 as a kid, then finally saw Conan 2 as a teenager and hated it. Probably best appreciated when you are 9 :smile:

definitely! :)

Think of Star Wars! if you watch the episode 1-3 crap as a six-year-old and four years later the classic saga you probably see it that twisted as well.

:-?

weird...

I must have blocked this movie out of my memory as a kid, because I didn't realize what a piece of crap this movie was until I watched the deleted scenes. This was a valiant effort to clean it up (theirs still some questional material left in it... a few pro wrestling moves left in the battle with the wizard), but I don't think this turd could ever be made into an excellent movie with the available material. Execellent job with everything you did to it though Leonenut!!!

Thanks
This edit was an attempt to match the tone of the first film, you're right about the fight with the wizard it sucks ass...

Been out of the fanediting game for awhile now, need to think of a new project :)

This Edit just goes to show what an Abomination this movie really was. I hadn't seen it in years and I didn't even remember it as that bad, but even with the new edit I remembered all the parts I hated about this film. They are absent here luckily, but especially in the first half it's just too obvious that once you cut away the garbage, there's not much left.

Still, 4/5 for the effort.

by Leonenut
What is it about? This an attempt to make Conan the Destroyer (1984) a more serious movie. Conan the Barbarian (1982) was probably one of the finest fantasy films ever made. The sequel wasn't unfortunately, it was toned down to get a PG rating, and added too much humour in the process. Annoyingly Conan was given not just one sidekick, but three of them, and each has cringeworthy one-liners or silly moments. Also a whiny girl was added into the mix, and Conan is made more of an idiot.

Original film name: Conan The Destroyer
New film name: Conan The Destroyer - Serious Edition
Film studio name : Universal Studio's
Date Original Film Was Released : 1984
Date Edit Was Released : Nov. 2007
Runtime : 79 mins

Fanedit details (please add here details about DVD contents as well as video and audio information):

* 2.35:1 PAL Anamorphic
* English Dolby Digital 5.1
* Deleted Footage Extra

Your intention for this fanedit:

* What I have done is reduce the humour and jokes to the bare minimum. Removed much of the silly moments with Conan and deleted as much of the naive princess as possible. Other changes include removing a scene explaining the bad guys motives too early, an awful fireside drunk scene and the ending is much improved ending on a more sombre note. When the monster dies at the end, Conan now kills it before it collapses, making him seem more heroic. Altogether 18 minutes have been removed.

Time needed for the edition: 1 week

persons involved: LeoneNut

conan2_by_boon23_3D2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom