• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alien: Isolation

Dev Diary. More footage.
[video=youtube_share;Npb2cHPpcpM]

They sound like they know whats going on. Thats a plus.

It has potential. A first person survival horror game where you're stalked by a Xenomorph could be really, really good. But considering the Colonial Marines debacle, I'm skeptical that Sega will deliver this time. Also, centering it around Ripley's daughter from the Director's Cut really feels like something out of fan fiction.

Also, the fact that we know that she died on Earth of natural causes pretty much kills any tension as to whether or not she'll survive this game. Unless, of course, that was a lie concocted by Burke. But that'd be even more forced, I think.

elbarto1 said:
Looks pretty good. But, so did Colonial Marines.

It's not developed by Gearbox this time, some we can remain optimistic. It's being made by The Creative Assembly, the guys that make the Total Wars strategy games.

yeah, it looks pretty solid, and like a sucker, i'll buy it, but i am not going to get supernerdlevelhype again like I was for CM.

I'm interested to just walk around on the nostromo...err...whatever they call this copycat ship.

I am also not a fan of the Amanda Ripley character being used here. FFS, it can be anybody - I'll never understand the adherence to the same old character names/types in these spinoff games/movies. Just create an original [well written/acted] character and thats more than enough.
/.02

I'll treat this with the same suspicion I treated CM with (Glad I avoided that). The legal text at the start suggests it will be the same fake-trailer con-trick again. The second video's shot of the count-down clock hanging over the development team's heads doesn't instil confidence either. Lastly the ridiculous refrences to the film make me think the team lack imagination (e.g. this other ship has the exact same Duck thing in the middle of their table?).

I also have a big problem with game developers who seem to hate making games and would much rather make movies. Most recently 'The Last of Us' gave me the impression that the developers would rather I hadn't been there and had just sat back and watched the hours of barely interactable cut scenes they'd created.

This game is so close in tone to the original film it's not very fun to play.

I'm stressed out non stop. The alien isn't "scary" IMO, but the fundamentals of the game are freaky.

Great alien game. Not for the faint hearted.

elbarto1 said:
This game is so close in tone to the original film it's not very fun to play.

I'm stressed out non stop. The alien isn't "scary" IMO, but the fundamentals of the game are freaky.

Great alien game. Not for the faint hearted.

I don't understand this review.

It's, "not fun to play." = Bad

But, "stressed" you out." So it must be subversive on some level? = Good?

But it's still a "Great alien game," and "Not for the faint heated." = Good

He means it's not FUN as in wheeee! (like Team Fortress 2 - boom , I blew up, no problem - yahooo!)
But it is a tense, bottom-clenching affair that is torturous to play but, I presume, oh so good.
At least, that's what I understood! :)

dangermouse said:
He means it's not FUN as in wheeee! (like Team Fortress 2 - boom , I blew up, no problem - yahooo!)
But it is a tense, bottom-clenching affair that is torturous to play but, I presume, oh so good.
At least, that's what I understood! :)

I can except that review.

Yeah it's oh my god this game is sooooo tense, I simply cannot play it. But I want to.
Everything is right, the androids are creepy as hell looking like the bastard lovechilds of the blue man group and automatons from doctor who. you can see old joysticks in storerooms with 2 buttons, the computers are all green screen and fat beige clunky things.

I've only seen the xenomorph once in a scripted setpeice but I know i'm at the point where the game is about to get a lot less fun and unsafe, [anakin]very very very very very[/anakin] unsafe.

I need to get a modern gaming console... and a modern TV lol.

Reading through this thread and watching the 2 videos makes me want to play, but I know I'll just waste like 20 hours on it, and be out money for the game, the console, and the TV.

wayne.workman2012 said:
I need to get a modern gaming console... and a modern TV lol.

Reading through this thread and watching the 2 videos makes me want to play, but I know I'll just waste like 20 hours on it, and be out money for the game, the console, and the TV.

New Tech is all Hype. It's a gimmick I tell you. Stick with your 16" B&W Mono TV and Pong Console. It's really all anyone needs.

Linten1 said:
New Tech is all Hype. It's a gimmick I tell you. Stick with your 16" B&W Mono TV and Pong Console. It's really all anyone needs.
A 16" TV would be nice. Maybe I should post a pic of my TV LOL!

0bee891d73eb4ef6b4be4ce03c30bc89.jpg

As you can see, from this pristine setup, that I'm all about the new Tech! So much that my little $6 TV isn't even hooked up lol.

I use my laptop for everything.

The only reason I even bought this TV was to watch some old goodies with the gf. This came from goodwill.

But I've really wanted a nice 42" that can display 1920x1080p because I'd really like to see my video work in its full beauty, instead of viewing at 1366x768 on my laptop.

I really want to get a standard def fatscreen, hook the 'old' ps2 up and play some Persona 3 or 4

EBay regularly sells 1920x1080p 30ish to 48" flat screens. They are old at this point but they are exactly what I want.

Usually around $300.

Back
Top Bottom