• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Bladerunner, which version should I see?

ezzetabi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I stumbled upon the old VHS and I would like to see Bladerunner again.
I noticed there are many DVD versions, which one should I buy?
About actually seeing it; there are nice fanedits?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ezzetabi said:
About actually seeing it; there are nice fanedits?

Me I like the 82' European cut the most.
I guess it's because it's the one I saw when I was young.
There is no ambiguity in this cut, and there's a kind of happy ending that some people do not like.

I also like the 92's Director's cut. Where Ridley introduced the ambiguity and cut the happy ending.

And the Final cut released few years ago is almost the same as the director's cut, but with enhanced special effects (and it's beautiful. Not a mess like Star Wars Special Edition.)

the good thing is that you can buy a box-set with all the 5 versions
82 european cut
82 american cut
92 director's cut
Final Cut
Workprint version

If you're a fan it's a must have.

There are some Blade Runner's fanedits. Just look at IFDB
Me I like Adigitalman's extended version a lot.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ All the versions is the way to go. As TMBTM mentioned, that boxset is IMO one of the finest home video sets ever assembled. As well as those versions there is a feature length documentary, multiple commentaries and hours more content.

But if you only want just one version ("Just one?!?"... "One... but one good one" = Little PC BR game refrence there :p) go for 'The Final Cut' Blu-Ray, for this new FX shot if nothing else...

24.jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've only seen the Final Cut, but that's enough to get my recommendation. The CGI additions are seamless - I honestly couldn't tell what was changed.

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anybody got or know how to get hold of the Blade Runner White Dragon Cut V5 by Kazuchoice?

ezzetabi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No ambiguity, kinda happy ending... the '82 european seems my thing. In many cases (heck, not every time!) I find ambiguity and downer endings as cheap tricks from directors to cover their lack of precise ideas. Besides, the box-set seems nice!

There are many examples where it works however. Like for ambiguity: Total Recall (1990). For downer ending: Requiem for a Dream (2000)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ezzetabi said:
No ambiguity, kinda happy ending... the '82 european seems my thing. In many cases (heck, not every time!) I find ambiguity and downer endings as cheap tricks from directors to cover their lack of precise ideas. Besides, the box-set seems nice!

There are many examples where it works however. Like for ambiguity: Total Recall (1990). For downer ending: Requiem for a Dream (2000)

The european cut of BR is more ambiguous.

In the euorpean cut the idea of Deckard being a replicant is hinted at, in the final cut it is confirmed. In the final cut the last shot we see is a close up of Deckard remembering Gaff's advice to cherish every moment of life, no matter how fleeting, so I never saw it as a downer. Plus I could never stomach the cheesy and way too neat shining-off-cuts/botched voiceover ending ;-).

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
StormTrooper said:
Has anybody got or know how to get hold of the Blade Runner White Dragon Cut V5 by Kazuchoice?

Wrong thread/forum.

megafat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're looking for which official version to go with, I'd recommend picking up the collection with all of the versions and watch the Final Cut and then the Theatrical version to listen to the voiceovers to fill in a few blanks, like how when one of the characters refers to the replicants and skinjobs.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you can see only one, I recommend the 1992 Director's Cut. The color correction in the Final Cut is horrendous, and I'm not a supporter of the idea of adding CGI to older movies, even if subtle. Sometimes even seeing the flaws in the FX adds to the experience, as to check what they were able to do with what we had. The only downside of the 92 cut is that it cut out some violent bits present in other versions (European and Final), otherwise I'd call it perfect.

But yes, if you can, do see them all. It's a wonderful film.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ezzetabi said:

Tcfs6br.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Wrong movie quote meme fail :p

tumblr_m7rbtkvZR21qewj70o1_500.gif

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like them all, but the Directors cut is my favorite. Best ending.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer The Final Cut, but The Director's Cut is a close second.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BR is a terrific movie, but I haven't seen it in many years, in part because it's so daunting to sort through all the different versions.

Heck, I only saw Close Encounters (the theatrical cut) for the first time last year for the same reason.

Ironically, the only film(s) where there are multiple editions and the answer is unambiguously clear -- the original theatrical Star Wars movies are superior -- is also the only case where the preferred version is not available! (...other than the cheap '06 discs and Harmy's wonderful unofficial version, I mean)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What about fanedits? Which fanedit is superior? I have the Nexus 6 edit but haven't watched it yet.

Top Bottom