• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The West Wing: The 25th Amendment

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
west-wing-25th-front-2-1385942695.jpg

Fanedit Name: West Wing: The 25th Amendment
Faneditor Name: RollWave
Tagline: A fairly stunning act of patriotism, and a fairly ordinary act of fatherhood.

Original Movie Title: The West Wing
Genre: Drama
Fanedit Type: TV-to-Movie

Original Release Date:
Original Running Time: 336 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: December 2013
Fanedit Running Time: 144 minutes

Brief Synopsis:
This TV-to-Movie Fanedit based on Aaron Sorkin’s award-winning series The West Wing showcases one of the show’s most compelling arcs, President Bartlet’s decision to invoke the 25th Amendment and temporarily remove himself from office. In addition to Jed, Leo, CJ, Toby, Josh, Donna, Will and the great supporting cast, this movie also includes guest stars John Goodman, Taye Diggs and Matthew Perry in some of the funniest and most dramatic scenes of the entire series.

Intention:
The West Wing is a fantastic show, but with 42 minutes per episode, 22 episodes per season and 7 seasons of material, (re)watching the entire series requires a massive time investment. This movie was created to provide a standalone product that can be enjoyed in a single evening. Comprising scenes from 8 different episodes spanning the end of Season 3 to the start of Season 5, this fanedit is a feature-length movie, intended for West Wing veterans and newcomers alike.

Cuts and Additions:
Extensive cuts throughout for both time and continuity, the most significant of which are listed below.
18 Minute Prologue: Selected scenes from Season 3 episodes “We Killed Yamamoto” and “Posse Comitatus” to setup and show the Abdul Shareef assassination.
0:18 - 0:43: Combined Season 4 episodes “Privateers” and “Life on Mars” into a single day.
-Shortened Amy and Abby’s scenes
-Shortened the scene in the VP’s office and cut CJ to maintain continuity.
-Shortened the Pres/VP/Leo scene
0:43 - 1:42: Season 4 episodes “Commencement” and “Twenty Five”.
-Cut the Toby/Andy/twins arc
-Cut Will writing the commencement speech arc
-Shortened the scene at the National Arboretum
1:42 - end: Season 5 episodes “7A WF 83429” and “The Dogs of War”
-Cut over half of the scenes showing the Bartlets sad or arguing
-Moved the ‘Zoey on Al Jazeera’ scene forward in the timeline by a few scenes to keep the action from resolving so fast.
-Cut the extended arc surrounding the 2nd speech (if Zoey had died).
-Cut most scenes involving scheming republicans threatening to legislate.
-Cut most scenes involving democrats wanting Bartlet back.
-Cut Ryan Pierce from all scenes.
-Ended a few seconds early at a final image of a triumphant president instead of a resentful first lady.

Release Information
NTSC DVD-5

Special Features
Short compilation of funny clips and quotes that I would have liked to include in the main movie but had to be cut.

Special Thanks:
Metrostar for volunteering to be the first previewer, and Neglify for his detailed notes.

Cover
west-wing-25th_3Dview.jpg

Download cover

Review, posted on IFDB:

Summary:

This is an absolutely wonderful fanedit. Highly recommended for West Wing fans or lovers of political drama.

Technical:

The editing here is solid all the way through. If I hadn’t read the cutlist after I would have never known how many episodes were combined. Hell I had to read Wikipedia to really understand how much work was done. This edit flows so smoothly one scene to the next. Bravo.

Commercial break transitions were handled nicely; I didn’t notice any on-screen credits or zoomed shots to remove them. DVD quality was good, matched the source quality.

I had small nitpicks with some of the audio editing. They were really minor so I’m not going to waste time talking about them. You may or may not notice; they may or may not bother you; your mileage may vary.

Storytelling:

The narrative structure is the strongest part of this edit. I have never watched a single episode of The West Wing but I’d always wanted to check it out. (And yes I purchased the source material.)

You can go in completely blind deaf and dumb and still be able to follow everything. I connected to the characters and once the plot kicked into high gear I was glued to my screen. The three act structure is done very well and this feels like something that was intended as a theatrical movie.

And this show is really good. They weren’t kidding when they said they had great writers. Powerhouse storytelling, acting, everything.

A/V quality – 8
Editing – 10 visual, 9 audio
Narrative – 10
Enjoyment – 9

Recommended drink: Man O' War

This edit is currently available for download via Mega. PM me for link.

As soon as I can figure out how to upload to usenet, it will also be available for usenet download. Hopefully this weekend. Once I get the usenet settled, I'll submit both links to fanedit.info, and post again here to let you know when that's done.

Wow, really looking forward to seeing this!

I've been a fan of TWW for ages, and always thought it was well-suited for something like this. :thumb:

So what's a faneditor gotta do to get a faneditor badge under my name?

This edit is now also available through usenet.

nzb and dlc files for the DVD5 have both been submitted to fanedit.info, so if you are too shy to ask me for a link, you should be able to download it yourself in a few days if you keep an eye out for the next updated posting on that site.

Both the .dlc (Mega) and the .nzb are now available on fanedit.info

If you remember after you view it, please visit ifdb and leave a review. Thanks.

With .info down, there are still at least 2 ways to obtain this fanedit.

1. Mega. PM me, and I will send you the download link so you can download the fanedit via jdownloader or whichever program you use for that task.
2. Usenet. This edit is easy to find on usenet search engines by searching by poster name "RollWave" or by title "The 25th Amendment". If you have any difficulty, PM me, and I can send you a link to usenet search results where you can get the .nzb file by simply checking the box for my edit and clicking "create nzb".

Great fan edit, RollWave. I have just seen it and your mastering of storytelling is impressive. You were spot on regarding what was to be kept and what was to left. Still you took the time of re-introducing all the main characters. It makes for a very good movie. Congrats!

shamelord said:
Still you took the time of re-introducing all the main characters.

I'm glad you liked this part. I too thought the character introductions were necessary and beneficial, but it was one of the larger creative decisions. Essentially it was a choice between a 1:45 movie that started with the vice president's resignation, or a 2:20 movie that starts with the assassination followed by introductions. The final version is slightly longer than I would have preferred, but it's far more complete and feels more like a standalone movie this way.

That's was my thinking: basically the first 30 minutes is about having all the people who were going to become important later introduced in their working environment. The vice president's problem was also essential to what you had to keep in the climax. And it's good it's not close to the prologue with the Sharrif assassination - so many big events in just a few minutes would have stretched credibility. Editing is choosing, and that you did with talent.

It's been a loooooong time since I've watched The West Wing. I went into this edit without reading the cutlist or the editor's intention. Ironically even the title of the edit didn't clue me in or jog my memory concerning the story arc.

Enter The 25th Amendment. In all honesty the first hour of the edit was a bit boring for me, however the opening minutes were excellent at drawing me in. But I understand that a lot needed to be set-up, characters introduced, plot elements set in motion. So the fact that I found the first hour of the edit a bit dry was no fault of RollWave, the source material lends itself to lots of dialogue and not much action (not that I was expecting an action movie!). Maybe my attention span is waning in my old age.

Now after the one hour mark, I was hooked. The storyline picked up and I was glued to the screen for the next hour and a half. So the set-up was necessary and worth the pay off.

Ok time for some of my obnoxious nitpicking. There was one scene that felt a little out of place and could have been cut out and that was when The President gives his wife a necklace. This is just my opinion and not a big deal.

Video and audio quality were good. The majority of the cuts were invisible. Nice DVD menus and credits.

This edit is highly recommended!

Nice job [MENTION=24770]RollWave[/MENTION]!

Been looking to re watch some of West Wing. Can someone PM me link please.

[MENTION=30328]CarsonGallo[/MENTION] if this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

Back
Top Bottom