• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

I have never seen a Superman movie!

Yorick

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have never seen a Superman movie. I've seen every Batman film multiple times but I've never tried my hand at Superman. Is there a good point to start? Are there films I should avoid? Are there any Fanedits worth watching?

Never seen a Superman movie? We must educate you and quickly!!! :lol:

Where to start? Start with the best...

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and SUPERMAN II starring Chris Reeve.
Essentially this is one big story split into two movies.
Superman the Movie is pure classic fun.
And for ages, Superman II was considered one of the best sequels ever done.
There is of course TWO versions of Superman II, the original release and new Donner Cut. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. There a few fan edits combining the best elements of both versions.

If you are only a casual Superman fan, you can skip Superman III and IV, but I still find both enjoyable in their own guilty pleasure way. Again, there are fan edits of these as well that are worth watching.

SUPERMAN RETURNS is a good movie, though it has a lot detractors. It plays more as an homage/sequel to the first two original movies, instead of breaking any new ground. There are some good edits of this one really worth watching.

MAN OF STEEL is a darker, "more real" take on Superman, it has a some narrative flaws, but it is the most epic Superman to date and I over all really enjoyed it.

And if that is not enough, there is the old Superman serial 1948 starring Kirk Alyn and the George Reeves movie Superman and the Mole Men 1951 which launched the classic tv show.

Also in TV land there is the wonderful Superman the Animated Series, Lois and Clark and Smallville.
;-)

Well its about time you started!
1. First watch Superman The Movie. Directed by Richard Donner, released 1978, it is a timeless work of art. Amazing story, amazing acting, and known for introducing ground-breaking cinema technology to the world. The movie is a true piece of magic, and I have still to hear of a person who said they didnt like it.
2. Then watch Superman II (1980). The production behind this project is a controversial and complicated one. Long story short: Richard Donner who made the first one, was fired from the project due to creative differences between him and the Salkinds (the producers), and because he went over budget to make the first. Since the first movie and Superman II were being filmed back to back, he had already completed 80% of it. The replacement director, Richard Lester, came in and completed the film, and reshoot about 50% of the film to gain the director's credit. Richard Lester's Superman II is noted for the corny humor, unfunny running gags, and departure from the premise of the original film. 90% of the commendable scenes from his version were shot my Richard Donner. The unreleased footage shot by Richard DOnner was released in 2006 as a completely different Superman II movie (which is the definitive version of the movie, which would have been even better than the first if not for Donner's booting). For the full story go to wikipedia article of Superman II.
3. Then watch Superman II (The Richard Donner Cut), released 2006. Directed by Richard Donner. Removes almost everything horrible about Lester's movie and replaces them with Donner's wonderfully shot and executed scenes from his original shooting script. Immediately connects to the first movie, considered the definitive version of the movie. Dont take my word for it, I'll let you be the judge of that.
4. Then watch Superman III (1983). Directed by Richard Lester, the lame and corny humor only amplified, essentially destroying the Superman franchise until 2006. The dramatic elements in the film are commendable, and the movie is considered to be a bad script with solid production and execution.
5. Then watch Superman IV (1987). The worst Superman movie to date. The Salkinds sold the franchise to Cannon Films, who's immense budget cuts led to a horribly finished film with special effects even inferior to those shot in the first movie (almost 10 years ago), and badly produced story. The movie is considered to be a good script with weak production. This movie kills the franchise and it remains dormant until 2006.
6. Then watch Superman Returns (2006). The movie revives the Superman series. Directed by Bryan Singer. Pays homage to the original movie by being a semi-sequel to both Superman I and Superman II. Completely ignores III and IV. Highly underrated.
7. Then watch Man of Steel (2013). Directed by Zack Snyder. A movie that showed great potential during production. The movie turned out to be very shallow with no character development. No Depth, just mindless wall to wall CGI destruction used as a device for action scenes. Too much CGI, too much violence, no emotional elements except for Pa Kent's death. Great cast, great acting, poor script execution, feels like a generic action flick from the late '00s.

So there you go. I recommend you watch them in that order.

Yorick said:
I have never seen a Superman movie. I've seen every Batman film multiple times but I've never tried my hand at Superman. Is there a good point to start? Are there films I should avoid? Are there any Fanedits worth watching?
Alas, poor Yorick.

Listen to the other guys.

Superman 1 (duh)
Superman 2: the Richard Donner cut
Superman 3 - dangermouse fanedit (no cheesy humour)
Skip 4
Skip Superman Returns (it's a bad rehash of 1, with a moody emo pervert Superman. Yuck.)
Then Man of Steel will blow you away with it's rugged awesomeness. :)

bionicbob said:
MAN OF STEEL is a darker, "more real" take on Superman

I have not seen this, but I seem to remember complaints that the ending battle is about as far from real as it gets.

[MENTION=10812]Yorick[/MENTION] As you can see opinions vary. Don't skip any Superman movie because they tell you to. Watch them all, and you can come up with your own conclusions. Watch them in chronological order so you can get a real idea about the movies and come to a conclusion. Some people seem to like Man of Steel, but I agree with Rotten Tomatoes. But watch them all. IMO, Superman IV, Superman III and Man of Steel are the weaklings of the franchise, but they DO have their good points. Only you can discover them so go right ahead. What im saying is watch all the movies in the franchise so you can get the complete picture. (Y) :D

The problem being that if you did not watch Sup 1 & 2 as a kid in the 70's or in the 80's.. you stil can enjoy them but you missed the right time to watch them.

rajithwarren said:
1. First watch Superman The Movie. Directed by Richard Donner, released 1978, it is a timeless work of art. Amazing story, amazing acting, and known for introducing ground-breaking cinema technology to the world. The movie is a true piece of magic, and I have still to hear of a person who said they didnt like it.
Hola! You have now. :)

I agree with TMBTM. I have full respect for Chris Reeve, who deserves all the praise he gets, and I respect that Donner was breaking cinematic/pop culture ground in taking the Superman idea and mythos seriously (at least whenever Gene Hackman isn't on screen, because every time he is, it becomes a totally different picture), but if Superman: The Movie were released today, people would rightly call it a bloated, confused mess.

My personal recommendation would be to start with the Smallville pilot. It's not the series' or even the season's best ep, but I like it far better than any of the movies. If you do like it, I have a list of the eps I think are worth watching from the first three seasons, the only ones I've bothered to see. ;-)

Gaith said:
if Superman: The Movie were released today, people would rightly call it a bloated, confused mess.
Some might. But considering the kind of dogshit that makes a billion dollars at the box office these days, I can't say I put much stock in what those hypothetical people might say. Is it more bloated and confused than Transformers 3?

In my opinion, anyone looking to watch a Superman movie for the first time who skips Superman: The Movie is doing themselves a great disservice. I'm not guaranteeing they will like it, but they'd be crazy not to at least check it out.

Superman 1-3 and Man of Steel are the essentials to get you up to date with the pop culture Superman lore. I'm sure fanboys could <strike>bore you to tears</strike> enlighten you further as to why you should read all the comics and listen to the radio serials and watch the original films from before the 1970s and watch the two TV series'..... :)
but if you want to know what's the big deal and be able to have an intelligent conversation about Superman, those four movies will get you 80% up to speed.

While i like some Superman movies (1,2,Man of Steel) and dislike others (3,4,Returns) in various degrees, in my opinion the best adaptation of Superman outside the comics is the great 90ies animated series. It tells you everything you need to know about Superman, its a great introduction to the character and it contains all the essence of what makes Superman truly great. At least it was the perfect introductory point for me :p. As for the movies though, i say watch them in the order they were released and draw your own opinions

TV's Frink said:
I have not seen this, but I seem to remember complaints that the ending battle is about as far from real as it gets.

Yes and no. I mean if two beings with the powers of gods fought it out in the heart of New York City, I think the destruction would be pretty much like what you see in the movie. It feels more real than the fight in Superman II (which I absolutely love). In regards to the death toll or Superman's final solution, that is a completely different discussion.

It is also more real (than the original Superman movies...lol) I think is just how it presents the world's reaction to the acknowledgement of aliens exist.

The thing that I miss in Man of Steel is Clark Kent as a journalist.
I mean Chris Reeve was not only an amazing Superman but he was also an amazing Clark Kent, so funny and with a touch of class à la Cary Grant.
In that regard, Man of Steel still can't be seen as the "ultimate" Superman movie. Because all the "Kent as a decoy" side of it is missing. And I also simply loved the fact no one recognized Superman just because of his glasses and a (slightly) different hair style. Always made me smile and it was a part of the whole comic book feeling of the first movies.
I wonder how they will manage to make that looks "more real" in the next movie...
(by the way, I bet 10 euros that Kent will interview Bruce Wayne.)

g1orkatsos said:
While i like some Superman movies (1,2,Man of Steel) and dislike others (3,4,Returns) in various degrees, in my opinion the best adaptation of Superman outside the comics is the great 90ies animated series. It tells you everything you need to know about Superman, its a great introduction to the character and it contains all the essence of what makes Superman truly great. At least it was the perfect introductory point for me

I agree 110%.

Just as BATMAN the Animated Series is probably the BEST and most FAITHFUL adaptation of Batman,
the Bruce Timm animated series of SUPERMAN is one the best renditions ever done of the Last Son of Krypton. The only thing the animated series seem to shy away from was the whole Clark/Lois/Superman triangle, which I sort of missed.

If I were to do a Superman mega marathon, I would do the following order:-
Superman- Theatrical
Superman 2- Theatrical
Superman 3
Superman 4

Then just as the depression of how low the series got sinks in, Start again at:-
Superman- Extended Edition
Superman 2- Donner Cut
Superman Returned... I mean Superman Returns
Man of Steel

Then just as the euphoria at how awesome the series got sinks in:-
Supergirl

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I guess Superman (1978) is the place I'll start...

Interestingly enough Rotten Tomatoes has both the Donner cut and the original cut of Superman II at almost the exact same score...

[MENTION=10812]Yorick[/MENTION] if you love Superman The Movie then you know the donner cut is the definitive version. Most of the theatrical version supporters are heavily influenced by nostalgia. The unfortunate thing about the Donner cut is that Donner didn't have a chance to complete filming. That's what they say gives a disjointed feel in the movie, but it doesn't distract me at all. The theatrical version is a joke, just as Lester treated it during production.
And as for man of steel, its completely empty in terms of story. If what you are looking for is mindless destruction sequences and so much over use of CGI that it looks like a video game with live action cut scenes, its the perfect flick.
superman returns, while being inferior to the first two superman movies, is way better than man of steel, superman 3 and 4. But watch them all, and decide for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom