• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Video Rendering problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys,
I just finished my fan edit of Grown Ups 2, and I put it to render.
I rendered it as a XDCAM EX (.mp4) HQ 1280x720 24p 35 Mbps VBR format and the file rendered out as 12.9GB. I then rendered it as a smaller 720x480 NTSC DV widescreen 24p avi file and it came out as a 20GB file.
The video quality of the mp4 file is great while the avi file quality is near crap quality, yet the avi file is 20GB while the mp4 file is 12.9 GB.
I want to get it rendered to around 2GB maximum since I have to upload the file for reviewing as well.

Anyways I can fix this?

1) What are your computer specs?

2) What editing program are you using?

3) Briefly, how did you transfer from DVD/BD to computer? We trust you own the source, this isn't trying to call you out on anything. Always good to know the steps in the workflow.

4) What is your target output? DVD, MKV/MP4/AVI (480p or HD?), BD-25?

These questions will help with Tech Support.

If you really want your eyes pried open, go read a [MENTION=8139]Captain Khajiit[/MENTION] thread. http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...-Khajiit-s-Basic-Guide-to-Encoding-with-HCenc

1. Windows 8 64-bit, Core i3 Processor clocking at 3.(something) GHz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD.

2. Sony Vegas Pro 12.

3. My DVD had the files in .flv format, imported and converted to .mp4.

4. .mp4 is my target output.

I don't recommend those codecs. There should be a Sony AVC or something like that as a choice (mp4). Personally, I render lossless AVI (lagarith codec) from Vegas, and do my final encodes with external programs. For a MKV/MP4 I use MeGUI.

[MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION] You recommend Sony avc .mp4 as the output format?
Cool I'll try that.
But AVCHD outputs as a .m2ts file and I don't want to render the file as a Blu-Ray format. I thought of rendering it as a Memory Stick SD NTSC Widescreen 6256 Kbps file with these custom configurations:

Video format - AVC
Frame Size - High Definition (1280x720)
Frame rate - 23.976 (IVTC Film)
Field Order - Upper field first

rajithwarren said:
ThrowgnCpr You recommend Sony avc .mp4 as the output format?
Cool I'll try that.
But AVCHD outputs as a .m2ts file and I don't want to render the file as a Blu-Ray format. I thought of rendering it as a Memory Stick SD NTSC Widescreen 6256 Kbps file with these custom configurations:

Video format - AVC
Frame Size - High Definition (1280x720)
Frame rate - 23.976 (IVTC Film)
Field Order - Upper field first

I never suggested AVCHD. Your configuration looks OK, but you shouldn't need top field first if working with progressive HD footage. Export as progressive.

[MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION] Yeah AVCHD is a file format included under 'Sony AVC' in the render options window. Also the Memory Stick SD NTSC Widescreen 6256 Kbps option didnt turn out well. The faster moving scenes had horizontal lines formed, and the frame rate was messed up as well. I went with another render option (can't remember but its not a NTSC output format) which looks fine. I will have to wait until rendering is complete to see how well it ends up, especially the file size.

don't worry about NTSC/PAL or templates. You can custom change all the settings. I don't have Vegas on my work computer but can provide more details this evening if you don't figure it out. The horizontal lines is likely because you forced interlaced output on progressive footage. As I mentioned in my post above, change it from TFF to progressive.

rajithwarren said:
3. My DVD had the files in .flv format, imported and converted to .mp4.

This doesn't sound right to me. DVDs have VOB files. I've never heard of a DVD having flv files. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't make sense to me at all.

Here is a quick guide for ripping your DVD files to your computer with a program called DVDFab:

Insert your DVD disk in the dvd rom tray. The following screen will appear:
TN_1.JPG

“Source” (1) there should be your DVD drive and in “Target” (2) pick a folder to save the files to. For “Quality” (4), on the drop down menu select "DVD9".

Ripping the main movie:

If you select ‘Main Movie” from the menu only the movie part (1) of the DVD will be copied. No extras, introductions and other parts will be copied. You also have the option to select the subtitles (2) and audio (3) of your choice. When you are ready press “Start”. The copy to computer process will begin.

TN_5.JPG

After some time you will get a message that the process has completed successfully.
TN_7.JPG

(Credit for Guide goes to: http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/...-copy-split-or-customize-a-dvd-9-using-dvdfab)

You can download a free version of DVDFab here.

Hope this helps.

I'm confused about the source files, and what you are actually editing. Is this SD footage from a DVD? If so, then your workflow and output will change dramatically, and the above info I mentioned is mostly applicable to HD.

Gatos YES! Vob files. Sorry. My bad. I was just exporting a DVD RW with flv video clips in it when I wrote that. :p

[MENTION=25461]rajithwarren[/MENTION], I highly recommend you read Boon's guide to setting up a fanedit in Sony Vegas (from DVD):

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?2493-Boon-s-guide-to-fanediting-with-Sony-Vegas

Also useful is Captain Khajiit's guide:

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...iit-s-Basic-Guide-to-Decoding-Video-and-Audio

and to a lesser extent my guide (more applicable to HD edits):

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...n-Vegas-(ripping-amp-converting-from-Blu-ray)

It is important that your workflow is fairly consistent. So, if you are working with NTSC DVD footage, make sure your input file, Vegas project settings, and output render settings all have the same resolution and frame rates.

I've already finished editing. Its my fan edit of Grown Ups 2. And its HD 720p footage.
Yes frame settings match the source footage.
And it worked! The file rendered at 701MB, which is amazing. The quality is not AS CRISP as the original source dvd footage, but it works fine and the audio quality is really really good. Its fine for reviewing, doesn't hinder the viewing experience. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll upload it onto Mega or mediafire soon (since my internet is really slow these days). :)

no problem, but i'm still really confused what you are working with, based on your response:

rajithwarren said:
its HD 720p footage

rajithwarren said:
original source dvd footage

DVD specs are 480p (i)
BD specs are typically 1080p.

[MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION] My fan edit is 720p. And the frame settings match the source footage:
1280x688
23.976 IVTC
Field Order - None (progressive scan)
8-bit pixel format.

[MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION]
There seem to be an air of doubt regarding the legitimacy of my source footage:
I bought my copy of Grown Ups 2 from a local DVD store about 3 weeks ago.
I meant my FAN EDIT PROJECT IS 720p.
Frame settings match the SOURCE FOOTAGE WHICH I IMPORTED AND CONVERTED (My version of Vegas Pro 12 doesnt support VOB and avi files for some reason)
The earlier mistake about me calling the vob files 'flv' files came from the fact that I was working with a disc containing burnt flv video clips (music videos), and that I normally tend to type things I have in mind that are related to the environment Im in but have little relation to the subject (for example I'd write about my car and was playing around with my door keys I'd write 'keys' instead of 'car', I dont know if thats called Dyslexia, but it happens when I speak as well).

I hope this clears up things. :)

rajithwarren said:
There seem to be an air of doubt regarding the legitimacy of my source footage:
I bought my copy of Grown Ups 2 from a local DVD store about 3 weeks ago.
I meant my FAN EDIT PROJECT IS 720p.
Frame settings match the SOURCE FOOTAGE WHICH I IMPORTED AND CONVERTED (My version of Vegas Pro 12 doesnt support VOB and avi files for some reason)
The earlier mistake about me calling the vob files 'flv' files came from the fact that I was working with a disc containing burnt flv video clips (music videos), and that I normally tend to type things I have in mind that are related to the environment Im in but have little relation to the subject (for example I'd write about my car and was playing around with my door keys I'd write 'keys' instead of 'car', I dont know if thats called Dyslexia, but it happens when I speak as well).

I hope this clears up things. :)

DVD resolution is 480i (stored as 720x480). So you are saying that you upscaled the DVD to 720p when getting it ready to fanedit? That surely must have affected the picture quality.

[MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION] Yes. The preview mode doesn't show the difference as much, but when it has fully rendered the playback quality HAS changed by a considerable amount. Doesnt make it bad though. Not bad at all. There is some pixelation during the transition of some scenes but it doesnt hinder the viewing experience. (Y)

well, if this is a firstling submission, the academy will be the judge of that. I do recommend reading over the guides I posted above, taking your time, and handling the video properly. It will make future projects significantly easier, and you will appreciate your edits much more.

Yeah it is my first fan edit. Yeah I AM having a time converting and importing and exporting files. I guess the best option is to render it as a Sony AVC file as you suggested, it greatly reduces the file size while retaining (to a certain extent) the video quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom