• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Composite planet Jupiter as background

kaarma33

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello:

I am working on a fanedit of Macross: do you remember love, a Japanese animation subtitled movie. The footage I am working on is a short playstation video game cutscene of Macross: dyrl which has a spaceship battle taking place in outer space. I have the scene as an avi with separate sound loaded up and edited in Womble. I have attempted to use Sony Vegas for chroma key or comositing, but I haven't had much experience with vegas

I am unable to figure out how to use chroma key under vegas video to get Jupiter to show up behind the macross / zentraedi space battle. Would anybody know of a quick way of removing a outer space background to replace it with the planet Jupiter?.

I tried Sony Vegas with chroma key, but I'm starting with a psx dyrl video that has a black outer space background that refuses to be recognized by the chroma key function and compositing just makes Jupiter as a background transparent and obscures the foreground zentraedi / macross battle.

What I did do is screen capture one frame to jpeg, then use paint.net to paint out the background parts with a solid green colour, then used the "magic wand" to pick out the green parts, then inverted the picture, so I could copy and paste the zentraedi ship onto the jupiter background.

Here's a picture of my latest attempt.
[img=http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9804/prebattle1so9.th.jpg]
What I would like to do is have a much easier way of doing this, since I would need to do this procedure over 600 times to get all the pictures to have Jupiter in the background. Basically, I would be reanimating every frame to include Jupiter in the background. What a hobby!

Thanks for any suggestions!

t would help us more to see some frames of the clip before retouching. Is the background more or less uniform all the time and is it distinctive from the ship? Otherwise it's going to be hard.

You can create a batch in Photoshop (I don't know about Paintshop) to repeat the same adjustments in all the 600 frames (magic wand, fill with color and copy and paste to a different picture, for example). But you need to find the right values so that it works in all the images. It would require a little trial and error (you could start with a group of ten or so and see what happens), or maybe dividing the frames in smaller groups and create a different batch for each.

It doesn't seem easy anyway. As I said, if you can show us the background yo want to replace it would be easier to tell.

i'd think an edit of the macross plus saga would be a better idea since the movies were horrible. (this has been an idea of mine, actually.)

I am not a sony vega guy. i edit on mac using FCP. that being said, the chroma key funtion affects only chroma. The black BG will not be affected isnce there is no color to substract. the ships have to be shot against a blue or green screen for it to work.
since painting everyframe sound like a bore, may i suggest using a luminance key instead? luminance keys are determined by the bright/dark quality of your image. so you should be able to make the black bg dissappear.
give it a whirl.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been slowly figuring out how to use spline animation and rotoscoping with Wax video editing software.

I tried a demo of after effects and could not get it to work with the video. Chroma key and luma key don't seem to work because the animated spaceship has a moving shadow that is the same colour and light level as the background outer space. I just get a splotchy mess of jupiter all over the space ships.

I'll go see what my local library has a book on rotoscoping that will make more sense of what I'm trying to do. Maybe, the wax software is a little wonky?

Ulead Media Studio Pro can delete any color from a movie and you can put something to cover up that emptiness in the front or back. The background can even be animated. Still it is hard to make this look not artificial. Blue box effects are not easy to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom