• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

12 Years a Slave

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last friday marked the release of the film 12 Years a Slave. This friday marks an expansion (and also the day when I see it). Usually I would have posted about this in the 2013 Movies thread, but since this is going to win Best Picture, I thought it deserved it's own.

The film is directed by the talented Steve McQueen (of Hunger and Shame fame [not of The Great Escape and Bullitt fame]). It stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti, Brad Pitt, and some other relative newcomers.

Here's the trailer, it looks amazing!*

*Disclaimer: I have not watched the trailer.

Anyone else have plans to see this?

I plan to see it, but on home video. Looks good.

Looks like a good movie but I think Django Unchained is more the kind of movie that can change the mentality today (if making movies is ever meant to "change mentality" anyway).
I think people booing and laughing at racism together in a theater and sharing a beer after is more productive than another "oscar bait / feel bad" movie. I know it's a bit stupid to compare two movies that look so different (and surely will not share the same main target audience) but when I watched this trailer I could not think something else than: "good but already dated". The kind of "seen that, been there before" feeling. The ironic thing is that maybe in 20 years Django Unchained would look more dated than this movie (that is filmed in a more " classic way"). But for now this is how I feel. Based only on this trailer.

I just saw this.

There are no words to describe this film except that it is nothing short of a cinematic masterpiece.

It needs to be seen.

TMBTM said:
Looks like a good movie but I think Django Unchained is more the kind of movie that can change the mentality today (if making movies is ever meant to "change mentality" anyway).
I think people booing and laughing at racism together in a theater and sharing a beer after is more productive than another "oscar bait / feel bad" movie. I know it's a bit stupid to compare two movies that look so different (and surely will not share the same main target audience) but when I watched this trailer I could not think something else than: "good but already dated". The kind of "seen that, been there before" feeling. The ironic thing is that maybe in 20 years Django Unchained would look more dated than this movie (that is filmed in a more " classic way"). But for now this is how I feel. Based only on this trailer.
I really get what you're saying and I too kind of wondered going into the theater whether or not I'd really be affected considering all of the things I've seen and read about slavery. But I will say with complete honesty that watching this film is like learning about the horrors of slavery all over again for the first time, all at once. And then some. For me it was like when I watched Schindler's List: there was nothing really in the film that I didn't necessarily already know about the horrors of the Holocaust, but it still felt like I was discovering those atrocities for the first time.

Django Unchained was obviously a fresh take on slavery, but so is this - even if it treads ground that has be already trodden. The thing is, the film is so raw and visceral. While on paper it might read like an Oscar bait film, it doesn't play out like one. The film is so harsh and unflinching that if it doesn't win Best Picture, it will ONLY be because of how uncomfortable it is.

What really makes you feel it is how connected you are with the main character, Solomon Northup. You're right there with him, through the brilliant filmmaking of all those involved. His pain becomes your pain. At the end
his tears become your tears. When he sees his family, it's hard to say there's even sentimental techniques being used. It's emotional simply because of how connected you are to his journey. He enters his home, and then we see his family. And they're all 12 years older, and you realize how much he's lost. It was at this exact point that I began to tear up. Then, after all he's been through, he's still proper, he still speaks as a free man. And he talks to his family. And I lost it. He's reunited and you're happy, but you've also felt what he's been through. That pain is still there. And now he gets to continue his life, but there are still those 12 years that he can never get back. It's a scar that he will never lose. I came out of the theater shaking. This is an emotionally racking film, and it's meant to be.
I can't say for sure whether this film would more likely change someone's mentality than Django Unchained, but I can say for sure it would affect them.

So I take it you liked it Dom? Like a B+ maybe?

Nah, that'd be too generous. C at best.

Back
Top Bottom