• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Awesome Online Videos (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As if it weren't cool enough that there exists a smiley-face bird...

They've discovered a frowny-face species!

Nature's ability to balance itself out is amazing!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plissken1138 said:
2001: The Way Kubrick Intended - Restoration Comparison

I don't understand. Is that video stating that the Blu-ray or the unrestored trailer is the way that Kubrick intended it?

Either way, the unrestored trailer looks vastly inferior to me. That type of hideous blanket tint is one of my cinematic pet peeves.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The unrestored trailer is the intended.

I would not call the unrestored a "blanket tint" at all. The blu-ray  compensated too much by trying to get it into neutral colors. The whites and blacks in the blu-ray are showing far too red.

I prefer the color in the unrestored trailer.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It varies between shots, but I mostly prefer the blu ray.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
I don't understand. Is that video stating that the Blu-ray or the unrestored trailer is the way that Kubrick intended it?

Either way, the unrestored trailer looks vastly inferior to me. That type of hideous blanket tint is one of my cinematic pet peeves.

Youtube description said:
As stated by Nolan himself, this 70mm print is made from the original camera negative with no digital enhancement.

I gather that new print and the trailer are developed on celluloid from originalest of originals as it is,
which arguably carry Kubrick's artistic intention regarding color as shown from the print,
that would precede any kind of hypes of blankets and whatnot.

I just found the comparison interesting.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plissken1138 said:
I gather that new print and the trailer are developed on celluloid from originalest of originals as it is, which arguably carry Kubrick's artistic intention regarding color as shown from the print, that would precede any kind of hypes of blankets and whatnot.

But aren't original prints often degraded to the point that they look drastically different from how they did when new? Is there any way to know whether the unrestored version looks even remotely similar, color-wise, to how it did in 1968?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Plissken1138 said:
I gather that new print and the trailer are developed on celluloid from originalest of originals as it is, which arguably carry Kubrick's artistic intention regarding color as shown from the print, that would precede any kind of hypes of blankets and whatnot.

But aren't original prints often degraded to the point that they look drastically different from how they did when new? Is there any way to know whether the unrestored version looks even remotely similar, color-wise, to how it did in 1968?

Yes, color shift can happen for sure, but it's unlikely that it shifted in a way that would result in the tones present on the unrestored print. 

The unrestored print isn't perfect, but I would bet it is a lot closer to what Kubrick had intended than the Blu-ray regrade (which is pushed too far, imo). Something in-between the two, leaning more toward the trailer print, would be optimal.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You always know that the shots in 2001 where created with rotating sets and simple yet genius tricks but to actually have the effect demonstrated side-by-side like this is mind-blowing. The precision timing of the switch is almost seamless even when you look for it:

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a well made retrospective about the Adventure game genre, and one of its most beloved and influential series:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty spectacular editing in this video.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's funny because it's true:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not putting this in the music section because it’s more about the marriage of the music and the hypnotic visuals.
it’s kind of meditative.

Top Bottom