• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Transformers: Resparked

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, so I'm halfway through the editing part of my first edit, Transformers (2007).

I figured I would go ahead and open a new topic on it, to see what input or suggestions you guys might have.

As I've mentioned in various other posts at this and the other site, I'm just doing a basic clean-up of the movie, not a total overhaul.

I'm making Frenzy a bit more serious, though still pretty crazy (frenzied, if you will), cutting out the most heinous parts of his slap-stick "humor".

I'm cutting out some of the human bits, while trying to not make the storyline dissapear. Just removing some of the filler, and cutting some of the bad jokes.

I cut the Bumblebee "pissing" scene, the best that I could. I like to just pretend that Simmons is sweating profusely.

I've left some of the humor in, beause it really did have some funny bits. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the Wolverine/Freddy joke in. It's kind of funny, but I've cut most of (the hacker) Glenns goofiness, so I don't know if it fits. I suppose it could be his one goofy moment, at a completely inappropriate time.

I'm welcome to any suggestions or ideas, I'm just not into making it more "generation one" on this particular edit. I'm a huge G1 fan, but it just doesn't fit on the big screen. Maybe after I'm done with this, I'll make a cheesy 80's version.

Hi,

One suggestion I have is this; cut the scene where Megan Fox gets in the car with Spike after she almost leaves. Too cheesy. Instead of Bumblebee playing BABY COME BACK he could play Meat Loaf's TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BAD and *snip* right to the scene where Spike pulls up at home.

Hopefully you've felt VERY free to cut away the pointless "Are you happy with your long distance service provider? We need a vaild credit card..." phone operator during Skorpnik's attack. Doesn't the military have direct lines for their men out in the field? :-?

Also, cut the horrible "AAAAHHHHHH" out of the "AHHHHHH....JAZZ!" line when Optimus laments his fallen commrade. I damned near expected "I knew him well...." to follow that line. :???:

Any other suggestions? Take a gander at my review (written for a message board):

sick-298.gif

BAYformers...sucked major ass. Major, major ass. And it's nothing to do with how the giant transforming robots were created, this is the ONLY thing Bay's team got right. Let's go over this from my horrible experience:

1) This is NOT, repeat, NOT a story of "a boy and his robot." Apesadumbrado, Se?ior Spielbergo. We got that with THE IRON GIANT. No, no. This is a story of a military dude who's wife just had a baby while husband is fighting in the desert when an evil robot attack occurs and occurs and occurs until he has a verbal argument with a phone operator over credit cards and long distance service providers cuing lame US Government agency to recruit lamer computer geeks along with one impossibly hot female who's so smart and British that she goes outside the system to recruit a stereotypical black dude who's even smarter so he breaks the code without really trying meanwhile a ADHD (Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder)boy desperately hocking priceless family heirlooms so he can deliver the "wink-wink...it's the whole backstory plus major plotpoints in 30 seconds or less so listen up, little duders...'cuz it's the 411! Wink, WINK, WIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! HEY! OVER HERE!" speech who gets a rusted out shitbox car that is actually able to be purchased without paying the price he paid from a stereotypical funny black guy who just happens to have the car in question near the former car of cartoon lore past who speaks in snippits of pop culture dialog similar to another character from a movie that has a similar name but came 21 years earlier.....awwww, fuckit. It's a jumbled, mis-mashed mess of something that could have seriously redefined Bay. If Bay is smart, he'll make a "director's cut" that actually LOSES whole scenes and rearrange the plot just to give some heart back to this film. It would take a bit to get to it, but there's heart in this film. Somewhere.....

2) There is no relationship developed between Sam and Bumblebee. He's just a "pussy wagon" for Sam (tell me honestly you didn't think that when the whole "HEY! IT'S ME, THE SONG CUE FROM KILL BILL" sequence occurs). Case in point: the horrible, and downright creepy ending where it becomes apparent that the English language websites weren't the only thing the Autobots had been viewing on the Internet. Thank YOU, Tommy's Bookmarks! And let's not forget (who can) his blatant "oil leakage" on government agents...followed by THE WORST line in TF history "NO, Bumblebee! Stop! Bad Bumblebee!" Or something to that effect... :shock: :???: :x

In the comic books, Sam was a mechanic and he could fix things. This proved to be a terrific bond for a boy and his robot. The film protrays him as a desperate ebay nerd out to sell his soul for a car he could barely understand to know where the gas tank is.

3) Mountain Dewticus...or whatever you call the product placement robots. Come ON...... :-x

4) Introduction of Jazz/Death of Jazz. ??? Hello, modern stereotypical black robot reference! :-? This is the saddest thing for me, because if the wording had been done right, THIS character would have been 100% correct, unlike the rest. And he, like the black soldier, dies. And what are we given to remember him by? Prime...holding him like Hamlet would a human skull while saying "Awwww....Jazz." I laughed my ass off when this happened, and it wasn't a "dealing with shock" laughter. No, this was FUNNY in a moment humor had no place.

5)
The glasses. Jesus H. "Tap Dancing" Christ! So the map to the AllSpark and Megatron are contained on these glasses. :shock: Let's examine this for a moment, shall we?

a) Since Megatron froze solid WITHOUT any fellow Decepticons, who told ANYONE on Cybertron where this map was?
b) IF the sole purpose of these glasses was the map contained on them...then for the love of God tell me how the Decepticons weren't able to read the map from the picture of the glasses on the ebay listing? If they scan the entire image from the glasses (and they do people) and recognize the Cybertornian symbol language, then they DEFINITELY recognize what it says. So hence...no glasses needed anymore. War over before it begins, so to speak. :p

6) AllSpark cube. Anyone amazed by the fact it looked like an oversized rejected design of the HELLRAISER puzzle box? I almost imagined Megatron spewing lines like "The box. You opened it. We came. " or "We have such sights to show you!" or even the oft quoted "We will tear your soul apart." Uh, mission accomplished on the last one, Mr. Bay. :-(

7) Megatron. What was the point of getting Hugo Weaving to voice Megatron when they went through so much trouble to match him to Frank Welkner's voice? BORING! Oh, and why...oh God WHY does Megatron speak English when he's been frozen quite along time? And never interacted with humans. Or read the internet? Oh, that's right. The iPod was based on technology Sector Seven based on examining him. English abound! :???: Not only that, why did Sam make it to the top of a building BEFORE Megatron, a flying jet...yes...A FLYING JET cabable of ungodly speeds when compared to the human foot. Megatron could've just blown his ass away or at least demolished the building to crush him to death. Like the AllSpark would've been damaged by falling debris.

8 ) Megan Fox. Sorry, even T&A doesn't save her. The acting was sub-par at best. And what was the whole reason for her spewing about her dad's and her own criminal past? Just so she could hotwire a tow truck so Bumblebee can blast Decepticons to the new Smashing Pumpkins song. Oh. Count. Me. In. On. The. Fun. :?

9) Shia LaBeouf. Ugh. Am I alone thinking the dude is HIGHLY overrated? Megan's performace is an Oscar winner compared to his. And that's just the part where she's shaking her hips while walking. Steven Spielberg, if you're out there...please, STOP OVERRATING YOUNG ACTORS like Shia. He's charming, but in a "Kenny G concert flashback by Garth in WAYNE'S WORLD 2" sort of way. He's gonna screw over the new INDIANA JONES movie. Mark my words. Just you wait.

10) Sam's parents. They're not parents! HELL NO! When's the last time your mom mentioned MASTURBATING to you? Exactly! This flipped the movie into AMERICAN PIE mode. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...... :x

I could go on. The odd thing of it is, you snip out bits here and there and change the order of just a few things and you've got a movie that would've worked on ALL levels. Sam doesn't need the girl, Sam needs the Autobots. They need him to understand mankind so they can protect it.

Oh, and this is just a guess, but I think the reason why Bumblebee didn't speak until the end wasn't because his voice box remained damaged (remember, Ratchet mentions they've tried forever to fix it but nothing seems to work) but because he probably promised himself he wouldn't speak until their mission was accomplished. It still doesn't explain how he sounds like C-3PO at the end. :???: :???: :???:

All in all, this movie is a jarring experience to me. Almost as jarring as seeing John McClaine in PEARL HARBOR. What...you haven't seen him? Well...

This movie earns a "SNOOZE BUTTON!" rating from me.

smiley_sleeping.png

Best Regards,

InvisibleWolfMan :D

Good luck! I'm ready to see ANY version of this film WITHOUT the crap that weighed it down for me. :D

Thanks for the input.

"Hopefully you've felt VERY free to cut away the pointless "Are you happy with your long distance service provider? We need a vaild credit card..." phone operator during Skorpnik's attack. Doesn't the military have direct lines for their men out in the field?"

- well, actually I have not cut it entirely. I was going to, until I found out that it is a true story. I have shortened it significantly. I entirely cut out the second half of it, and trimmed the first part.

At this point, I'm making most of my cuts based on not having jarring hard cuts in the action and/or music, so I didn't want to cut it all. I've been really lucky with most of the cuts, as I've been able to get the score to line up on both ends of my cut. I'm thinking that I'm going to make a trimmed up cut first, with nice clean cuts. Then later I'm going to make a much tighter cut to trim all of the cheese.

"Also, cut the horrible "AAAAHHHHHH" out of the "AHHHHHH....JAZZ!" line when Optimus laments his fallen commrade. I damned near expected "I knew him well...." to follow that line"

- I haven't really thought too much about the end scene yet, except that I want to take out the horrible nu-rock song. Why have this great score over the whole movie, and then ruin the whole thing with 3 or 4 random rock songs?

"Mountain Dewticus...or whatever you call the product placement robots. Come ON"

- Yeah, not sure yet on this one. Might get cut on my first cut, will definitely get cut on the hard cut.

"The glasses. Jesus H. "Tap Dancing" Christ! So the map to the AllSpark and Megatron are contained on these glasses. Let's examine this for a moment, shall we?

a) Since Megatron froze solid WITHOUT any fellow Decepticons, who told ANYONE on Cybertron where this map was?
b) IF the sole purpose of these glasses was the map contained on them...then for the love of God tell me how the Decepticons weren't able to read the map from the picture of the glasses on the ebay listing? If they scan the entire image from the glasses (and they do people) and recognize the Cybertornian symbol language, then they DEFINITELY recognize what it says. So hence...no glasses needed anymore. War over before it begins, so to speak.

- The glasses is a tough one. It's too much of a large plot point to really dump entirely. I have tried to clean it up as much as possible. We'll see what happens.

I've trimmed Megan Fox, the parents, the australian girl/hacker guy, and turtorro quite a bit. Will probably cut some of them entirely on the hard cut.

"are you going to incorporate any deleted scenes? "

Well, from what I've heard, the only scenes that were deleted were in the Imax release. There were no new robot shots, and it sounds as if they were just more useless human schtick. Bay has said that those scenes will not show up on any dvd release, but they will, when the extra super duper special edition shows up right before TF2. Not really interested in them, as I'm trying to take out humans.

Hi,

I'm with you on the NuRock crap we were given. The score was quite serviceable without anything thing like NuRock remotely near it. :x About the glasses, maybe you could do it that they could only scan a certain portion of the glasses. This would, at least, explain WHY they still need the glasses (half a map is still half a map).

Can't wait to see your edits! :eek:

That nu-rock was terrible. I have mentioned it before, but it's something that I can never drive home enough. I would be enjoying the movie, then cue the electric guitars and I feel the rage pressure building up instantly and I want to go find Michael Bay and beat his skull with a cinder block. Pretty sure it's in every single channel, too (certainly is in the final monologue) so removing it isn't even possible.

That sucks. I'll change it somehow. If I have to trick Peter Cullen into speaking the final monologue into a tape recorder, I'll change it. I'll cut it out before I leave Linkin Park in it.

Well, I finished the first cut, and was quite happy with the way it came out. Unfortunately, Womble has decided it doesn't like my cut, and has ruined the audio in the second half of the movie, and has made some jumpy cuts. I've tried to fix it, but it looks to be lost. I learned some little things on the first cut, so I think I'll just keep this as a reference, and start over.

I'm planning on doing a trilogy of cuts at this point:
The first cut will be the soft cut. I will basically remove as much of what I deem offensive as is possible, without getting into reconstructing the entire soundtrack, and without creating any holes in the plot

The second cut will be the hard cut. It'll be a while for this one, as I'm going to do some extensive rebuilding of the soundtrack, to try and eliminate the nu-rock songs, and to remove even more of the filler human scenes.

The third cut will be the G1 cut. This one will take me forever. I want to just do it for fun, but it probably won't be much fun. Going to cut in the original voices, a few of the old songs, mainly from the TV show, not so much the movie and just rework it as a more first generation Transformers movie.

I hope to have the first cut done in the next few weeks. At that point I'd like to send a couple copies out for people to critique.

reave said:
Well, I finished the first cut, and was quite happy with the way it came out. Unfortunately, Womble has decided it doesn't like my cut, and has ruined the audio in the second half of the movie, and has made some jumpy cuts. I've tried to fix it, but it looks to be lost. I learned some little things on the first cut, so I think I'll just keep this as a reference, and start over.

Don't you HATE that? Happens to me all the time. What happens to me is when exporting it'll have a hard time transitioning two clips, the video will glitch out for a second, and then the audio goes out of sync. Might be because I edit from vobs, and don't bother converting into MPEG (I am really impatient).

reave said:
The third cut will be the G1 cut. This one will take me forever. I want to just do it for fun, but it probably won't be much fun. Going to cut in the original voices, a few of the old songs, mainly from the TV show, not so much the movie and just rework it as a more first generation Transformers movie.

This sounds like a really cool special feature.

My second pass at this is coming along much better. I really hope this one doesn't crash in the end. I've been able to trim or cut some of the parts that I couldn't figure out how to do effectively before. I hope to have a full cut done in the next 2-3 weeks.

I just finished watching the film. Boy, I hope your cut improves on it. Though there a lot of things I like about the movie, there are a lot of things I really don't. The stuff that bothered most "fanboys" (focus on humans, changes to the robots, orchestral soundtrack instead of cheesy 80s music) really didn't bother me at all, but the dumbass "humor" and several plot holes certainly did.

I'm pretty much done with the "soft cut". I'm just having some problems getting womble to export it without adding frames. I've checked multiple times, but I can't find the extra frames or a weird cut where it's adding them. I've tried trimming even more frames on that cut, but it does the same thing every time. Any suggestions?

The only other slight hang-up is a slight audio hiccup that I could probably fix in Vegas, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I'll probably just send it out as is to a couple people to see if it's even noticeable.

I'm pretty happy overall, and I can't wait to get started on the "hard cut".

I'm having similar extra frame problems with my Resident Evil cuts. Note where you made cuts, then check the exported file, and remove any extra frames and export again and see if that works.

Tried that. The thing is there are no extra frames. Yay.

So it's working pretty good, then?

How are you planning to get dialogue for your G1 cut? Are you even thinking that far ahead?

I had the same issue with womble for some items. I would use the frame step forward and back and isolate the stubborn frame. I would then split the clip here making the bad frame a clip on it's own. I then would delete this and the problem goes away

guitarfan01 said:
So it's working pretty good, then?

How are you planning to get dialogue for your G1 cut? Are you even thinking that far ahead?

I am thinking about it, and it's going to be a sh#t-ton of work. I'm basically going to scour 4 seasons and a movie of G1 cartoons, and get what i need. It may even change the story line a little bit, depending on what I can come up with. I'm not sure yet if I'll just keep Optimus' voice. I'm kinda glad (at least for the sake of this edit) that the Decepticons don't really say much of anything for the majority of the movie. If anyone has beaten the Transformers game, I would love to get the cut-scenes dialogue for Optimus and Megatron (assuming Frank Welker still sounds the same as the cartoon).

After watching the first couple of episodes of the new Transformers Animated series, I can see myself doing some edits of that as well. Cut out most of the silly kid crap (yeah, I know it's a kids show, but it's for my enjoyment), cut Sari as much as possible, and deepen/"robotize" the voices of the bots. I think that it's an interesting story arc so far, it just a little too goofy for my tastes.

tranzor said:
I had the same issue with womble for some items. I would use the frame step forward and back and isolate the stubborn frame. I would then split the clip here making the bad frame a clip on it's own. I then would delete this and the problem goes away

That's what I tried. Oh well, I guess I'll try it again.

Are you going to release your three versions of the film separately, or together?

Back
Top Bottom